I-751, failed marriage

carpfishing

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know what I should do? Married over 2 years ago, marriage failed (irreconcilable differences), we have an infant. How do I file my I751 and go to the 2nd interview without my spouse? What should I do? Will they kick me out...do I need to file differently? GC exp 5/24/07

carpfishing said:
Does anyone know what I should do? Married over 2 years ago, marriage failed (irreconcilable differences), we have an infant. How do I file my I751 and go to the 2nd interview without my spouse? What should I do? Will they kick me out...do I need to file differently? GC exp 5/24/07

The I-751 was supposed to be filed within 90 days of the second anniversary of your being married. Was it? And did the marriage breakup after 2 years? Or before? But for me, the issue is whether you failed to file the I-751 when you were supposed to.

In re

We were told to file the I-751 90 days prior to the PR card expiration date which is 5/24/07. We would (have been) married 3 years in august 07. I still have time to file the I 751, our 2nd interview would be in may, but due to the marriage not working, she is not up to lying to the government to keep me here. It WAS real.

carpfishing said:
We were told to file the I-751 90 days prior to the PR card expiration date which is 5/24/07. We would (have been) married 3 years in august 07. I still have time to file the I 751, our 2nd interview would be in may, but due to the marriage not working, she is not up to lying to the government to keep me here. It WAS real.

I would say that is not correct. Others may know better. I was pretty certain the instructions, as I recall, specifically say within 90 days of being married for two years. But I am far from an expert, so I could be wrong. Someone here will know the correct answer.

FJCRUISER said:
I would say that is not correct. Others may know better. I was pretty certain the instructions, as I recall, specifically say within 90 days of being married for two years. But I am far from an expert, so I could be wrong. Someone here will know the correct answer.

It is 90 days before the expiration of the conditional green card.

carpfishing,
you can file a waiver if there is a divorce and it is finalized before the date of filing. My advice however is to try and find an immigration attorney.

see if this link works. it is the instructions for the I-751. It mentions that you can file if your marriage, entered into in good faith, ended in divorce.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-7...is best for you to get a lawyer for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
geppo said:
It is 90 days before the expiration of the conditional green card.

carpfishing,
you can file a waiver if there is a divorce and it is finalized before the date of filing. My advice however is to try and find an immigration attorney.

Yes, I just found that. My bad. And the form does say he can request to not file jointly.

The 90 day thing begs the question,,for my reference....can you file after your second year of marriage, or do you have to wait until 90 days before the second anniversary of your PR?

FJCRUISER said:

FJ, I have to ask you to please stop dispensing advice if you don't know the answer or if you are simply unsure whether your advice is correct. You can really screw somebody's life up if they follow your incorrect recommendation.

If you are unsure, please get the info on www.uscis.gov and then give advice. If you are still unsure, don't advise at all. This is not the first time you do it.

LucyMO said:
FJ, I have to ask you to please stop dispensing advise if you don't know the answer or if you are simply unsure whether your advise is correct. You can really screw somebody's life up if they follow your incorrect advise.

If you are unsure, please get the info on www.uscis.gov and then give advise. If you are still unsure, don't give advise at all. This is not the first time you do it.

First of all..I very diligently qualified what I said by acknowledging that i did not know for certain. I did not dispense advice. I also took the time to find the online instructions and post the link to refer him to for correct information.And the only recommendation I made was for him to not assume I was correct.

When I come out and tell someone..."Do this..period." Then you can assume I am giving advice. Now relax.

FJCRUISER said:
The 90 day thing begs the question,,for my reference....can you file after your second year of marriage, or do you have to wait until 90 days before the second anniversary of your PR?
If you are still married, you MUST file within 90 days BEFORE the expiration of your conditional card. Otherwise you find yourself without a GC.

Filing jointly. If you are filing this petition jointly with your spouse, you must file it during the 90 days immediately before the second anniversary of the date you were accorded conditional resident status. This is the date your conditional residence expires. If this petition is not filed, you will automatically lose your permanent resident status as of the second anniversary of the date on which you were granted conditional status.

2. Filing with a request that the joint filing requirement be waived. You may file this petition at any time after you are granted conditional resident status and before you are removed.

LucyMO said:
If you are still married, you MUST file within 90 days BEFORE the expiration of your conditional card. Otherwise you find yourself without a GC.

"you must file it during the 90 days immediately before the second anniversary of the date you were accorded conditional resident status" answers it for me. It really has nothing to do with two years of marriage...

Thank you all for your help, even if you are not exactly sure of the answer I am grateful for the help. It also says you can file a waiver if the deportation would cause you extreme hardship, wouldnt having a child be considered extreme hardship?

carpfishing said:
Thank you all for your help, even if you are not exactly sure of the answer I am grateful for the help. It also says you can file a waiver if the deportation would cause you extreme hardship, wouldnt having a child be considered extreme hardship?

Hi:

I can tell you are very confused. Don't bother with extreme hardship waivers and such for now. How is your divorce going along? As soon as it is finalized, you can file I751 by yourself, even if it does not fall in the 90 day period before GC expiration.

Just moved out, have not filed yet. I heard we have to go to the interview together anyway? Unless by some miracle we are actually divorced by the time of the interview.

carpfishing said:
Just moved out, have not filed yet. I heard we have to go to the interview together anyway? Unless by some miracle we are actually divorced by the time of the interview.

Hi:

Will she agree to go to the interview with you? If she agrees, you still need to be honest about filing divorce. You will likely not be approved at the joint interview, and you will have to submit another I751 once the divorce is finalized.

Even if your spouse is co-operative, I suggest you consult an attorney to manage your case. While you are likely to be successful, it is no longer an "easy case."