I-751 Approval (divorce case)

Ssachung,
You both need to decide what is more important, the marriage or your respective careers. Immigration and I-751 should be secondary. Given a choice, I would live in Hawaii personally :)

I751 after divorce

Ssachung,
You both need to decide what is more important, the marriage or your respective careers. Immigration and I-751 should be secondary. Given a choice, I would live in Hawaii personally :)

I have same issue. I got married to an USC in my country. However, after coming here things changed dramatically and marriage resulted in a divorce in one year in dec 2005. She had applied for divorce. However, I had got my CPR by then which was valid until jun 2007. I filed for the waiver and got one year extension which is valid until jun 2008. However since we were married in my country, I have the certificates and photograph and some emails from there. She had cleverly never tried not to mingle the finances so I donot have nothing to show from here apart from the divorce decree . I can give the affidavits and photographs of wedding etc. My question is whether it would be a sufficient proof to show the marriage was bonafide ? And how much time canI expect for the interview ?

I751 after divorce

I have same issue. I got married to an USC in my country. However, after coming here things changed dramatically and marriage resulted in a divorce in one year in dec 2005. She had applied for divorce. However, I had got my CPR by then which was valid until jun 2007. I filed for the waiver and got one year extension which is valid until jun 2008. However since we were married in my country, I have the certificates and photograph and some emails from there. She had cleverly never tried not to mingle the finances so I donot have nothing to show from here apart from the divorce decree . I can give the affidavits and photographs of wedding etc. My question is whether it would be a sufficient proof to show the marriage was bonafide ? And how much time canI expect for the interview ?

Triple Citizen,

Thanks for the reply. To tell you the truth, I would rather live in Hawaii as well but due to the extremely high expenses, that is why we decided that I would be moving first to make sure it will be smoother move over to WA for her. My kindness turned into sadness when she changed her mind after she got a good job there. This is the first time in her life that she got what she like and so am I over here. If I move back, the marriage is going to be over as well because I would not be able to pay my bills over there. It is a taugh situation.

She will be visiting WA during Christmas and hopefully we can decide what is our priority. I think she might want a devorse not because she don't want to move. I believe she have decided to "let me go" because she recently found out that she could never have her own kids and with me talking about having our own and things before we even got married might have be the biggest reason for her behaviour. I don't really know. Besides my marriage I also have too much invested here in the US. Very tough.

Hope it works out.

Thanks

Hi,

I know it's been a while since your post, but I'm in a similar situation and I was wondering about a few issues:

regarding your timeline:

Conditional GC Approval - Feb 2003
Divorce - Jan 2005
Applied to remove condition (I-751) - Feb 2005
RFE - Jan 2006 (basically requested the whole application again)
I-751 Approval - July 2006

am I misreading that you got the RFE letter 11 months after sending I-751 - you said above that you got it just 2 mths after [hm, i am confused - maybe you got the request 2 mths later and then the confirmation they received 9 more mths later, with no word from them in the 9 mths?? - isn't that disquieting, to not know what's going on for that long?]? is this a pretty typical duration for the process of removal of the conditional status? what happens between I-751 and its approval, can you still use the old card or do they issue a temporary replacement? are your rights as a green card holder altered at all while the decision is pending?

about the affidavits: the I-751 instructions read "affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you [...] " - i'm not sure how to interpret this - do i need to have a notary public certify the affidavits? am i supposed to write them or are the two people writing their own letters? if i write them, it would really be the same story/letter given to two different people...; also, the affidavits must contain "full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge" - again, is this smth i need to write up?

we attended counseling too - i can ask for a letter from the counseling center we went to (our counselor has moved since)... how much detail should that contain?

thanks a lot, i look forward to hearing from you!

am I misreading that you got the RFE letter 11 months after sending I-751 - you said above that you got it just 2 mths after [hm, i am confused - maybe you got the request 2 mths later and then the confirmation they received 9 more mths later, with no word from them in the 9 mths?? - isn't that disquieting, to not know what's going on for that long?]? is this a pretty typical duration for the process of removal of the conditional status? what happens between I-751 and its approval, can you still use the old card or do they issue a temporary replacement? are your rights as a green card holder altered at all while the decision is pending?

when your status is pending you have full rights as any other permanent resident. Sometimes a 751 could take more than a year also. RFEs can be asked anytime in the process, there is no fixed timeline.

about the affidavits: the I-751 instructions read "affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you [...] " - i'm not sure how to interpret this - do i need to have a notary public certify the affidavits? am i supposed to write them or are the two people writing their own letters? if i write them, it would really be the same story/letter given to two different people...; also, the affidavits must contain "full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge" - again, is this smth i need to write up?

The letters are better notarized and written by the people themselves, they should state the true nature of your relationship in the past and present.

we attended counseling too - i can ask for a letter from the counseling center we went to (our counselor has moved since)... how much detail should that contain?

Counseling is helpful piece of evidence. You need relevant specifics about the counselling and not the whole detailed process.

I got divorce because my ex-husband was abused me and emotional heated my son (my son took consular help) I applied I-751 .what I have to bring for interview and how this process is going?shouls i bring my son with me he is 11 years old.If any body who went through that kind situation can give me any advice