I-485 Question for TN to GC

CanadaToUSA

Registered Users (C)
Nelsona or curiousGeorge please help.

Hi there, any advice/guidance is very appreciated... I've searched the forums but couldn't find any definitive answers to the below:

I'm Canadian in the US on a TN (which doesn't expire til 6/2012), and will be married in Feb 2011 to my American fiance. I'm preparing the PR paperwork (I-485, I-310, I-765, etc.) but have these questions:

1) On page 2 (Part 3 section A) of the I-485 it asks for my Nonimmigrant Visa Number. I don't think I have this -- the TN is not technically a visa, and the only paperwork you receive for a TN is a stamped I-94, which only bears an "Admissions number," nothing else. Do I put "N/A" on the form?

2) Same goes for the "Consulate Where Visa was Issued" -- I could put the POE where my new I-94 was issued (O'Hare airport) but this seems wrong... ?

3) Finally, and this is a bit tricky: I have a 3-year TN, issued initially in 2009. I went on vacation to Asia recently and was reissued a new I-94 at the airport when I re-entered the US, which bears the same initial TN expiry date of course, but it was stamped with the more recent date of entry... SO, when it says "Date Visa Issued" which do I put?

4) On the I-765 it asks "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS" -- the answer has to be yes, right?

Many many thanks for any help you guys can offer with this!

1) put your I-94 number and note it as I-94 number. eg. I-94 #1234567
2) POE Chicago O'Hare Airport ( by the way, are you sure it was here and not at an airport in Canada? For example Toronto PFI? or Vancouver PFI? )
2)put date that the I-94 was initially issued for the current TN (the date in 2009).
4)no, the answer is NO. unless you have applied for an employment authorization document before.

I just checked my old I-485 and yes you can put either what i suggested or N/A in those boxes. It doesn't really matter as the TN status doesn't fit all that perfectly with the form.

Nelsona, you ought to be less judgmental.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunt, Just because you incorrectly put something on your I-485 does not make it a correct option. USCIS likey rolled therir eyes at seeing such a shoddy petition.
USCIS approved my petition and my spouse's petition in 42 days. Clearly my entries did not cause a problem.

Yes, i know that TN I-94 card is not a visa. that is pretty obvious. that is why filling out the form is a little confusing. The same issue goes for the I-140 or I-130 forms - there is a need to put the I-94# in places where a visa holder would put their visa number. You just have to make a note that like the following I-94# 123455 instead of blindly filling in a number. You can either leave the field blank or fill it as i suggested - your option. I have seen it done both ways, and both ways from immigration lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
USCIS approved my petition and my spouse's petition in 42 days. Clearly my entries did not cause a problem.

That's irrelevant.

The same issue goes for the I-140 or I-130 forms - there is a need to put the I-94# in places where a visa holder would put their visa number.

There is no such need. An I-94 # is NOT a visa number. Makes me wonder how long your petition was delayed searching for a non-existent visa.

Hi there,

this is my first time on this forum. I recently applied for EB1 (b). My EOD was approved but my I-485 was denied. At the same time I have a O-1 visa which expires in June 2012. The question is: does the I-485 denial affect my O-1 visa now and in the future (the extension). Can I reapply for green card? Thank you.
Moko