I 485 New York

Interview Experience

Good day everyone. I just had my AOS interview this morning Jan. 11, 2005. My wife and I came in around 9:30 AM at 26 Federal Plaza. We went to the 8th floor where they were doing the interviews. We submitted our appointment letter to a lady working one of those INS windows and then waited for our lawyer. We got called around 11:00 AM but we told the person reviewing our case that we were still waiting for the lawyer. :( Our lawyer arrived around 11:15 and he checked in with the officer handling our case.
We got called at about 12:00 PM. The officer led us to her office and we then took the oath. The officer addressed all the personal questions to my wife. She then asked me questions that were asked on the I-485 application form. She asked for the originals of several of the documents and examined it.
She took one picture from us and then looked into her computer. She then asked me if I had my picture digitally taken during the time of my fingerprinting. I answered yes and she told me that she has approved my case and that I would be receiving the new green card in 4 weeks through mail. :) My lawyer then came in and asked the officer if she could stamp my passport. The officer told us that since this was a pilot program, she will only stamp my passport in case of an emergency. My lawyer politely inquired further if she (the officer) could give us some proof that I am officially a permanent resident. The officer told us that she can't do anything but tell us that the green card will be in the mail in 4 weeks since it was a pilot program. :confused: My lawyer and I came out of her office scratching our heads. My lawyer then told me that should I not receive my green card in 4 weeks, I give him a call. I guess that's it. Here is my timeline:
RD: 09/23/2004
ND: 10/04/2004
FP: 11/02/2004
IEAD: 11/27/2004
Interviewed and I guess approved?: 1/11/2005

update

Weird thing happened to me. I just got a code 2 letter from Federal Plaza stating that I need to have my biometrics taken again last Jan 12. Has anyone been thru this kind of processing? My I130 was approved on the same day as well according to the USCIS website. :confused:

Hello again guys. I just got back from NY INS after filing for I-90. I couldn't believe that I am giving up my green card. You should see how the immigration officer easily cut the lower right hand corner of the card to void it. :( He then told me that it would take from 6-9 months for the new card to arrive. He then attatched the receipt for the I-90 on my passport and gave me a temporary I-551 stamp good for 1 year. He then talked to me about how fast I got my green card. I told him that I was part of the pilot program and then he mentioned to me an article in todays NY TIMES about the pilot program. I went home and got a copy of the TIMES and it was an article stating that the pilot program in NY has been halted effective last Thursday. People filing for I-485 process now have to wait at least 2 years again for an interview and approval. Even though INS screwed up my green card, I still consider myself lucky. I wish good luck to everyone in this board who are still undergoing the process especially my fellow New Yorkers.

Thank God they finally stopped this BS pilot program. Now people like me who have been waiting 29+ months for interview may actually get one.

NYC - Garden City Interview and Success

I have applied my AOS in Nov 2002 , I had my interview on Jan 11 (almost 26 months after) and was successfull. I have received my ten year card last firday. So guys who are waiting for more than two years your turn will come , I know how it feels. But the good side of waiting over 2 years is you will receive a permanent card instead of the temporary for which you have to go through all the process again within two years afer the card is issued. So be patient and I wish you guys all the best.

Just got my interview letter. It's scheduled for May 10, 2005.

My timeline:
Filed for AOS: 08/2002
Biometrics: 08/2004
Interview: 05/2005

Interview done ..... On Passport AOS pending

Application date jan' 03
interview date Feb 08 ' 05

Officer took all the docs. and never told that approved..
she wrote by pen that
I-485 Pending A# (my alien number) xxxxx (her name) DAO SEC245 2/8/05

My lawer said this is normal....... but i just wanted to confirm

all u guys who got GC after 2 years,,,,,,,,
did u had same thing from officer........ or u guys actually got approval stamp... and then got GC?

If any of you had same think how long will it take to get GC after interview?

pending

I was there on same day, same thing happened to me. She said name check pending. Send me a letter in 6 months if no news.
Guess we are all in Limbo now....bummer.

I filed application on Nov, 2002. Haven't recived anything regarding interview. I am using the third EAD now.

Actually we have a friend, she submited the aplication May 2003, she received the greend card Aug, 2004. She also lives in New York city.

Priority Date 09/30/2002

Interview Date 06/06/05... 7:45AM

I got my passport stamped and the immigration officer told me my greencard will get to me in about a week.

LUD: Mailed out on the 8th...
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please share more info

ligc said:
I have applied my AOS in Nov 2002 , I had my interview on Jan 11 (almost 26 months after) and was successfull. I have received my ten year card last firday. So guys who are waiting for more than two years your turn will come , I know how it feels. But the good side of waiting over 2 years is you will receive a permanent card instead of the temporary for which you have to go through all the process again within two years afer the card is issued. So be patient and I wish you guys all the best.

I filed my I-130/I485 on March, 2002, and finally I get interview at Garden city on May, 2005 (after congressman help with writing inquery letter to USCIS). Please share more detail info, such as what questions being asked, what documents being check.

thanks

Jack

the wait is never ending

This is for New Yorkers who are in the waiting after the interview with a pending status. I know how frustrating it is to wait and get no response from the INS.If any of you have had an interview around dec 03 at NY there is still a long wait ahead at least 1 yr. Just wanted to share that little piece of info if it helps.
As for those who are yet to be interviewed say all your prayers before you go so maybe your passport gets stamped right away and you dont have to go through another long wait.
All the best.

my interviw

i got my interviw 9 months after i started the process ,i started it on jenuary 23, and the interviw is on december 6

Hello NOT NYC,

My interview was in Garden city too. You said your interview is in May, so I guess you know how it goes already. I hope it went well for you. Mine was pretty smooth even though I heard that the INS officers in that office give people hard time. Anyways - my interview was in the begining of April 05. The officer told me I'll be getting my GC within 3 weeks in the mail...well, it's been 2 months and I haven't received anything at all. My passport was not stamped either. I read this forum and I am getting scared - people wait years to get their CG, but at least they get a stamp. Would you please (anyone who ever contacted a congressman about a case in NY) share the name and the contact info of the congressman you contacted to get your case moving. It's been a 3 year wait for me so far, and I want to at least try to not let is sit for another few years...
Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Please help!!!

Dear board members,

I would really appreciate your help in figuring out what in the world is going on with my pending in NYC I-485 application. I filed it on February 20, 2003; while waiting for the interview I have renewed my EAD card successfully last year. This year, after not hearing from the National Benefits Center for over 90 days I stopped by NYC office and was told that my EAD application was cancelled/terminated. They didn't give me a reason why and asked to wait for something in the mail. After not receiving anything for another month - I went to the local office again and was told that my EAD was cancelled because my I-485 was cancelled as well. Again, no reason was given and I was told to file G-639 Form (Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request). I have to start working on September 6, 2005 and don't know what can be done.

If you have any thoughts or similar experiences - I would be most appreciative. I am about to cry:( I wrote my Senator Clinton and am planning to stop by my local congressmen on Monday. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Clinton won't help you . All she needs is our votes ( and us Indians : she takes us forgranted). Call a senator (Nota Lovi) she might help you
Its one more INS Screwup somehow.

Were you illegal here at any time?

Hello BillG 6006,

I guess you have contacted Lota Novi already or at least know someone who've done so...Did you call or did you send a letter? If you wrote a letter -would you mind sharing what you wrote in it?
Thanks,
Sharon

help for interview place!

I filed I-485 in NYC local office two years ago, I guess now my file is in NBC. Two days ago I got interview letter scheduled on 8/23, 7:01AM, in Carden City!

But I just read a thread on one website telling about the same story. On the day of the interview, they was told they should be interviewed in NYC so it would take another long wait for their interview in NYC.

Anyone have similar experience or knowledge about this issue? Any suggestion? Besides, even the interview time on the letter is weird.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.