I-485 Filing Question

aqualove

Registered Users (C)
On I-485, part 3, question 6 "Have you ever been a member of, or in any way affiliated with, the Communist Party or any other totalitarian party?", what does it mean? I'm citizen of Communist country, do I have to check Yes? choosing Yes may affect my application status? Please explain this to me. Thanks very much!!!

They want to know if you've been affiliated with a political communist or totalitarian party. If you're a citizen of a communist country I don't think it automatically makes you affiliated. Communist parties also exist in non-communist countries!

If you check yes, I'd assume your background could be more heavily scrutinized since there might be suspicion that you have political ideas incompatible with a democratic society, but I'd say just answer truthfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you a member of the communist party? Specifically someone powerful in the politburo? If you were just a citizen of a communist country, you have nothing to worry about.

On I-485, part 3, question 6 "Have you ever been a member of, or in any way affiliated with, the Communist Party or any other totalitarian party?", what does it mean? I'm citizen of Communist country, do I have to check Yes? choosing Yes may affect my application status? Please explain this to me. Thanks very much!!!

politburo is a Russian word. Since the original poster says she/he is a citizen of a Communist country right now (and as we know RUssia is no longer a communist country, and politburo hasn't existed in years), she may not know what "politburo" is.

You are right. I shouldn't have assumed that the OP will understand my post :)

politburo is a Russian word. Since the original poster says she/he is a citizen of a Communist country right now (and as we know RUssia is no longer a communist country, and politburo hasn't existed in years), she may not know what "politburo" is.

I think bottom line is, as long as you're not or have not been a member of a Communist party or been actively involved with such a party, I would say it's safe to check "no." If you have had some involvement that you're unsure about, I'd say explain on a sheet of paper as per the instructions. Of course the answer here should match Part 3C which asks you for parties or organizations you've been affiliated with.