I-485 approved...can I change employer?

fittan

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I received my approval letter last week and I am planning to change employer. I have 2 questions:

1) Since I don't have the physical greencard yet, how and on what status should I be when I join the new employer?

2) I read that it is advisable to wait 6 months before any change. However, my company has gone through 2 layoffs this summer and there's another one coming. In addition, the company only has cash for another month. Hence, I have the "intention" of staying with them BUT the dire situations gave me no choice. Will this be a problem?

Thanks, Fittan

Hi everyone,
I received my approval letter last week and I am planning to change employer. I have 2 questions:

1) Since I don't have the physical greencard yet, how and on what status should I be when I join the new employer?
----------------wait for the green card or take infopass and get your passport stamped from local USCIS. they are sending card in 1 month after approval of I-485.
2) I read that it is advisable to wait 6 months before any change.
-----------------------that is correct.
However, my company has gone through 2 layoffs this summer and there's another one coming. In addition, the company only has cash for another month. Hence, I have the "intention" of staying with them BUT the dire situations gave me no choice. Will this be a problem?
-------------------At this time they have not fired you and if they fire you or give you letter that they don’t have job for you then no problem.
Thanks, Fittan
-------