I-485 Approval + Stamping

tsc_user99

Registered Users (C)
PD: 07/2000, EB2
RD: 06/2001
ND: 08/27/2001
AD: 01/30/2004

Approved for self, wife + daughter with the same approval day.

Online message changed to "This case has been Approved....." when I checked it on 2/1/2004.

1. I-485 approval notices asked me to appear in USCIS West Palm Beach Office (WPB), but for my wife and daughter at USCIS in Miami.

2. We all went to WPB office after an online appointment at www.bcis-fla.com

3. One appointment needed per family.

4. All persons in the family appear at the window at the same time when the token number is displayed.

5. My wife's Passport is out for renewal, but the lady at the counter suggested that we go through the process anyway and once she gets her passport, it could be stamped seperately. She documented that fact on the copy of her approval notice.

6. She filled out a form for us with our signature and index finger print for each one of us.

7. She collected 2 photos (ADIT style), EAD cards, I-94 for me and my daughter (she asked my wife to surrender her I-94 + EAD card when she receives the green card stamp on her passport).

8. Gave us the token number back and asked us to wait outside another window. Another 1/2 hour wait.

9. Received our passports with the stamp.

Whole process took 2 hours from the time we got to this place. People going to this office are well advised to be in time (there's lots of construction around, so plan accordingly).

Good luck to everybody.

- tsc_user99 :)

For a long time after our FP'ing, it was the same old "999 days for processing...." but sometime in Jan 2004, it changed to "your finger prints were received......"

BTW, I forgot to mention in my original mail about FP.

Our FP date was 02/2003.

tsc_user99,

http://www.bcis-fla.com/ says that appointment is availbale only for AP, status checks and general information. Under which category, does the passport stamping comes? Don't we have to go and stand in line early morning if we take this appointment?

I chose the last option (talk to information officer) when obtaining the online appointment. Once you take an appointment, the system will bar you from taking another, until the appointment time elaspses.

The approval letter (courtesy copy) took 6 days to arrive. Though the online approval message says that the approval notice has been mailed, it is actually sent 3 - 4 days later (based on the postmark on the envelope).

passport renewal

My husband's passport will expire Nov 04. Does the stamping absolutely require a 6 months validity? He wants to get it renewed (he has to get a new passport after 10 years) and it will take 3-5 months to get it.

Can he skip the stamping and get the green card directly? If not, how long does he have to do the stamping if he doesn't have the passport at that time?

Thanks for any insights.

RD: 11/01
ND: 11/01
FP: 5/03
SRC: 02037

At USCIS-WPB, the immigration officer told my wife to be back with the new passport for stamping I-551 which is the temporary entry/exit/work permit.

The process of obtaining the plastic card needs completing the I-89 form, which my wife has already been processed for. (Index Finger Print + 2 Photos + surrendering old EAD/AP)

I did not ask the officer if the I-551 is optional once she told us that the plastic card would take 12-18 months. That makes it mandatory for us anyway.

About the passport renewal, 6 months is the minimum validity period.

IMO, 3-5 month period for renewal of passport is extremely long. But, it may depend from country to country. Please check with your country's consulate if thats really the case. Usually, in cases of urgency, you could pay extra $$ to jump the line and get the passport sooner.

How many months is left on your wife's passport when you go to stamping?

Our embassy takes this long unfortunately. They have to mail the passport back to country of origin, and the new passport has to be issued and mail to the states.