I-20 terminated by mistake at School

nav_imm

Registered Users (C)
This is in regards to my wife's F1 status.
To briefly summarize, she was doing her MBA since summer '04 and had been issued the I-20 by the school. This semester she had taken a break since we had to move out of state. As she had some time before her next semester starts she had planned to go home ( India ) for a month and when she had called the graduate school they mentioned that for some mistake of theirs the I-20 got terminated in Summer '04 itself.

They also mentioned there were few other students who had been in the same situation and they agree it was their mistake.

The school staff were suggesting that going to India for a month would be perfect and they would sort things for her by providing a new I-20. At this point we are more concerned that was she illegal for the past 9 months and if so what would be the right step to take.

I am currently on H1 B and how long will it take for transfer to H4 B. Is this the right thing at this point ?

Thanks a lot
Regards,

Navin

you are right to be concerned. And what exactly do you mean by "she took a break this semester"? SHe didn't enroll at all? Did she get a permission to do so from the INternational Center?

Hi LucyMO
Thanks for the update. We are very concerned, and the break was approved by both the international students office and the graduate school. The main reason for the break was that my wife had been under medication last semester of her school and the doctor suggested that she should go ona medical leave. The international office was aware of this and we had given them the doctors certificate also after which they had approved the leave.

This break was approved only a couple of months back and the international officer knew all about the I-20 termination but did not mention to us.

Kindly adive me what is the right step for me to go ahead

Thanks
Navin

If it was the school's mistake, let them take care of it. She may need to apply for reinstatement. I wouldn't leave the States until it was sorted out.

Hi all
Thanks LuckyMO for your reply.
My wife had spoken to the school authorities and they agreed to their mistake and are filing for the reinstatement. My concern is that after all this and such a long lapse ( almost 9 months ) what is the chances that INS will be able to reinstate. Further when will it be a right time for me to apply for H4 transfer as this has caused a bit of problem and we were very worried.

Kindly reply
Thanks

if it was no fault of hers (which it wasn't and the school should provide a letter for her stating so), the reinstatement should be approved. But then, who knows....

Hi nav_imm,
My brother is in same situation as your wife. His I 20 was terminated by the mistake of school and they didnt mention to us that time and now they are asking him to reenter from Canada on a new I 20. Can you tell us what you guys did? Did the school apply for a data fix or reinstatement.
Or did your wife reenter on a new I 20?
Thanks in Advance

I-20 terminated by mistake at School Reply

Hi
My wife was also adivced to leave the country and re-enter. Then after I contacted attorney in my office he strictly adviced that it shld be done inside and not to leave the country. If you leave then and your reinstatement is not done then there might be a possibility of a ban for re-entry for three years.

The school filled up the application and provided us the letter stating that the problem was caused by them and it was not our mistake.

The reinstatement was filed and things worked out fine.

Try to talk with the international officer, they are the ones who helped us a lot in our case

Hope this helps

Hi nav_imm,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Did the international student officer at the school apply for a reinstatement after so long(9 months) after terminating the I 20 because I heard that the reinstatement should be applied before 5 months. Also can you let me know how long did it take to apply for reinstatement and for it to get to get approved. Thanks once again. Appreciate if you could reply.

Hi
Yes we also were worried abt the 5 months limitation. But the international officer was supportive and gave the letter that stated clearly it was not our fault.
The idea abt reinstatement was mentioned to us by the international programs head, others in the office did not know much abt it. so its very important you speak to a person who knows the rules and just does'nt assume stuff.

The reinstatement was done in about couple of months or may be a little less.

Hope this helps