I-20 expired Aug 15.Currently On OPT.H1 starts Oct 1.Am I Out of Status?Can I work?

indigeek

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I hope you can help me out here.

I am currently on pre-completion OPT which expires May 2006. I was supposed to graduate on Aug 15 but my thesis advisor got back to me saying that I still need to work more before the thesis can be approved. I ran back to my international office and put in a application for extension of my I-20 on Aug 16 but my International Office Advisor got back to me saying it was too late to extend it as the expiration date had passed.

I am currently working for an employer on OPT and they have sponsored my H-1B. I have already got the approval I797 and it starts Oct 1. My International advisor told me that they do not report to the USCIS that I missed my thesis completion date but she suggested I stop working till Oct 1 and then can start working from Oct 1 as my H1 would come into affect.

I am in a big dilemma. Could you please confirm what I should do. Can I still work as my OPT card is still valid??

Thanks.

Somebody pleae reply..

I would appreciate a response.. Could someone who knows about this please reply..

Another note. I got my I-797 before Aug 15 though the H1 starts from Oct 1.

Thanks

with a precompletion OPT they extend your I-20 for the duration of your OPT. Didn't your international center do that?

The expiration date of the I-20 on the first page stays the same, but on the third page it must have an annotation that you are on OPT till xx.xx.xxxx, which extends your I-20 through that date. Which, in turn, means that you are still in F-1 status, still on OPT, and still can work until October 1 or whenever you switch to H1B.

Intl Office extended my I-20 till Aug-15-2005 (Item 5 on I-20)

First.. Thanks Lucy.. I cannot thank you enough for the reply.

Since I was expected to graduate by 15-Aug-2005, the International Office at my school gave me a new I-20 with item 5 (Last date for Completing studies as Aug-15-2005) but they put OPT expiration date as May-2006.

I still have my old I-20 which gives me a much later date for completing studies (July 2007). I am going for my H1 visa interview in India in December. Do you think this will cause problems??

Thanks again for the answer.. Really appreciate it.