I-131 still waiting but have to leave in 10 days

Tyler77

Registered Users (C)
We sent my wife application on 10/2/2007 and she had the finger prints a month ago. Till now she did not receive the I-131 AP. I can't even see it online. I can see that everything else has been processed except the I-131.
We have ticket leaving the county on December 15.
I plan to call the INS tomorrow ... but do you know if they can speed the process if I fax them or mail them and copy of the ticket.

Also .... what would happen if we left before the AP arrives? And then when it arrives, I will have my brother mail it to us?
Thank you

Make an infopass appointment to your local DO, if you can get one within the next 10 days. Take your airline tickets and your Form I-131 receipts. You might be able to get something done for you that day.

Consider the worst case scenario. What will you do if the AP is denied for some reason and your wife is out of the country?

Also .... what would happen if we left before the AP arrives? And then when it arrives, I will have my brother mail it to us?

What a rude immigration officer ...

I have just finished talking to an INS officer after waiting on the phone for 1:45 minutes and after couple of transfers. He was extremely rude when I asked him to check the status of my I-131 since I can't see it online. He said that he can see its, so WHAT DO I WANT?!!!

I asked about the processing date and he said it 120 days from the day of notice and not the day of receipt and I should call after 120 days from that.

I mentioned that we have tickets to go on vacation to Europe for Christmas and he said so.....?!!!!

He said that I can only go to the local INS office to get the documents in the case of an emergency ....

Here is my experience ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Take an infopass appointment and see if someone can help you this time. The USCIS were rushing to approve lots of AP's back in October, in time for people's holiday travels, so not sure why yours was left out. Good luck!

Tyler,

We received ours pretty fast... about a months time or so but we filed ours AFTER our interview. Not sure if you grouped it in with all your other filing but I think it makes a difference when you file it seperatly after the interview process. Just an opinion not really sure on that.

However, when we had an infopass a couple of weeks ago to enquire about my husbands namecheck clearance, I overheard a guy that came in asking for an AP right then and there. He didn't even say it was an emergency AND he didn't even have his 2 pictures ready so they could give him his AP.

From all appearances, it seemed like he was going to get it and I didn't overhear anything about a travel emergency. They sent him up the street to get his passport size pictures and then come back to get his AP.

Now, I am in Portland Oregon and its a pretty quiet and laid back immigration office so maybe that has something to do with it too. :confused:

If I were you, I would make an infopass, bring TWO passport size photos and your other AOS documentation as well as your airline tickets. With a little luck and a nice smile, you may get the AP right then and there.

Good luck.... we are also leaving to Europe the same weekend that you are:)

Update

WE went to the local INS today to expedite the I-131 and guess what .... they did not do anything ....
He said "I will send an email ... and it should take 60-90 days to get a response .... but usually the national benefit center is not good in responding to emails"
I thought the whole process should take 60-90 days?!!!!

He claims that the local office can't issue an I-131 , only the NAtional Benefits Center .... he is lying ....

I told the infopass agent ... do not bother .... You just do not want to help ... also what would I expect from a government employee ... they should outsource your job :)

I have no idea what to do now ..... I saw some people waiting for 6 months to get their AP