I-130 questions

is filing an i-130 considered filing for aos?

No, an I-130 is merely the first step in family immigration. ALL an I-130 does is verify a relationship and give a person a place in a particular processing line. What fanily relationship is concerned in this case?

Adjustment of Status (AOS) is applying for a visa from within the U.S. BUT one has to have made a lawful entry, have an immigrant visa immediately available at the time of filing for adjustment and be in a lawful status for the type of applicant involved. A ordinary family preference category applicant MUST still be in a lawful non-immigrant status at time of filing for AOS. An immediate relative of a USC (spouse, parent, or unmarried child under 21) MUST have made a lawful entry but can fall out of status and still file for adjustment.

Other obscure sections of law may qualify some others but IF they were of a concern to you, you would probably already know it by now.

Who you can file an I-130 for depends on YOUR status and age.

Also, when petition for someone you have to file an I-864, Affidavit of Support, regarding financial support for the intending immigrant(s). Others can help with the financial obligation IF you can find someone willing to do it.