I-130 for Consular Processing

Hello fbanna79, Did you send the final package with all your mom's docs? and after that will you mom get the letter for her interview or you ? Also what is the biographic documents? Do they send those to you? I didn't know about them.
thanks

I did send the final package to NVC last week. It consists of the filled DS-230 part 1 (signed) and part 2 (non signed), 2 passport size photos, a certified copy of her birth certificate, marriage certificate both with translations and copy of each, a copy of her passport, a police certificate with translation.

These are called biographic documents. I called NVC on Thursday and they say they have received my package and they cannot think of anything missing. I have to wait for two weeks for someone to go over the file and if approved, an interview date will be set.

That is what I am waiting for now. I am expecting the interview to occur beginning of February.

I see. Do you have a translation made in your mom's country or here? Do you translate the passport copy as well? Does the appointment letter go to you or your mom?
Thank you and congratulation fbanna79!

i had the translation made from my mother's country because it is cheaper. It doesn't really matter because the only requirement is that the person providing the translation must testify that he/she is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

As far the visa interview is concerned, the notification is sent to three parties : The petitionner, the agent and the beneficiary. If the petitionner is the agent, then two notices are mailed out. After you the petitionner receive your copy, you can scan or overnight it to your parent to start the medical analyses. Your parent doesn't have to wait for his/her actual copy of the interview letter to start this process.

In fact, it takes a month to get mail from the US to my country and usually, the interview letter is mailed a month before the interview date.

I guess your wife is currently overseas and it is for consular processing. If this is the case, NVC will ask for a police certificate for the places where your wife lived.

I am not sure about adjustment of status.

I called NVC this afternoon. They reviewed my package and there are some mistakes. We forgot to write N/A at some locations where there is no answer and they want us to submit a new DS-230. I called my mother. She will fill another DS-230 and send it to me.

Hopefully we will get right this time.

i was apply for my mom by send I-130 to USCIS since May, 2008
i got the receipt number on July 1, 2008
and my last update is my case was transfered to USCIS-NBC Lee's summit on october 28, 2008
and that is it... i didn't get VISA approved from NVC or DSs3032 form
what should i do..... can i call them and ask about my case..

i was apply for my mom by send I-130 to USCIS since May, 2008
i got the receipt number on July 1, 2008
and my last update is my case was transfered to USCIS-NBC Lee's summit on october 28, 2008
and that is it... i didn't get VISA approved from NVC or DSs3032 form
what should i do..... can i call them and ask about my case..

Looking at your signature, it seems to me that you are not a US Citizen ? Are you ? If not you cannot file for your mother as a LPR.

If you are a USC, then you need to call USCIS as soon as possible.

fbanna79,
Your signature says:
7 DS3032 & I-864 bill sent by NVC 11/17/08
8 DS3032 returned to NVC 11/20/08

So, did the NVC send the DS 3032 to you (the petitioner)? I thought they send it to the beneficiary? I am assuming that it would have taken longer for it to get to your parents.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
They send a copy to your parents and a copy to you. As soon as you receive your copy, you can fax or e-mail it to your parents to sign and overnight it the same day to NVC.

They also accept e-mails from the beneficiary stating who the agent will be, but this process can be much longer as it can take 2 weeks to be entered in the system.

I want to know something about I-130

Someone told me that sometimes they request DNA test to prove your relationship. true or false?

True. For children of US citizens, it is mandatory. For parents of US citizens and children of LPRs, a DNA test is usually requested if they have doubt about the relationship. This can be requested by NVC or by the officer at interview.

They send a copy to your parents and a copy to you. As soon as you receive your copy, you can fax or e-mail it to your parents to sign and overnight it the same day to NVC.

They also accept e-mails from the beneficiary stating who the agent will be, but this process can be much longer as it can take 2 weeks to be entered in the system.

It may seem odd to go into so much detail, but I have learnt to double check everything when it comes to immigration. So, I have a follow up question.

1. You parents signed a physical copy and sent it directly from there country, right?
2. Do you know if they will accept a fax copy of the signed DS 3032, if my parents fax the form back to me after signing?
3. What about the "Place Case Barcode Strip Here Before Mailing to the National Visa Center" box in the form DS3032? Did they send you (the petiotioner a bar code strip)?

Thanks.

1- When I received my DS3032, I scanned and filled it using Adobe PDF. At the place where the signature was requested, I just typed her name. NVC did accepted this DS3032 and sent me the bill. If you have your mother or wife sign an online ciopy of DS3032, you can cut the barcode from NVC's copy and glue it to the completed form. An e-mail from your mother to NVC stating her name, date of birth, petitionner name andf date of birth and address of the agent will be accepted as well. I came to the conclusion that NVC is very flexible and very professioal when it comes to dealing with costumers. They understand the problems associated with mailing stuff accross ocean.

2 - I have not used this method, but I am sure they will, because they accepted my typed copy. In fact, a wrong DS3032 will not close your case. If it doesn't work, they will just tell you to redo it.

3 - See # 1

I got an RFE from NVC requesting either the original or the certified copy of both my birth and mariage certificates. I have already sent my mothe rthe original of my birth certificate for the interview because I knew they will ask to see it as proof of relationship. I am lucky that I had a certified copies of both documents that I ent express mail to NVC yesterday.

Now I am waiting.....

I got an RFE from NVC requesting either the original or the certified copy of both my birth and mariage certificates. I have already sent my mothe rthe original of my birth certificate for the interview because I knew they will ask to see it as proof of relationship. I am lucky that I had a certified copies of both documents that I ent express mail to NVC yesterday.

Now I am waiting.....

Do you mean your marriage certificate or your parents' marriage certificate?

Who did you get the copies of the two certificates certified from?

Thanks

I am talking about my own marriage and birth certificates. I have already sent my mother's. My marriage was celebrated here, so I got the certified copy from the Register of Deeds of my county. For my birth certificate which is from overseas, I was lucky top have kept a certified copy obtained in 2002 when I was in my country. Otherwise, I would have to go to my country's consulate as directed by NVC to obtain one.

If you don't have these documents, start getting them now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am talking about my own marriage and birth certificates. I have already sent my mother's. My marriage was celebrated here, so I got the certified copy from the Register of Deeds of my county. For my birth certificate which is from overseas, I was lucky top have kept a certified copy obtained in 2002 when I was in my country. Otherwise, I would have to go to my country's consulate as directed by NVC to obtain one.

If you don't have these documents, start getting them now.

I wonder why they asked for your (petitioner's) marriage certificate. That is very odd right?

Maybe I'll just include my Marriage Certificate with the DS230. On one hand they ask you not to include extra documents and on the other they ask for unrelated stuff!

Thanks for the info.