I-130 for Consular Processing

fbanna79,
I read that depending on the country that your relative is from, the required documents that you need to attach to the final package vary. I am confused because I heard that I didn't need to send the documents like birth certificate, police reports etc because my mom would bring them to the embassy the day of the interview. Did you get any instructions of what to attach with from DS230? And did you fill out part I and II?
Thanks

I guess you can call NVC to check. It depends on the US Consulate where your mother will be interviewed. For my country, all reviews are completed here. The visa appointment is scheduled by NVC for my country.

You can call to check or ask someone who has been on the same route.

Thanks.

Hi all

So glad i found this thread, I filed I 130 thru a law office on June 7th. I received a recipt letter showing the case number on June 13. i've been waiting for the I 130 to be approved since then. Is anyone knows how long that might take in my case. really appreciate your help guys.:confused:

So glad i found this thread, I filed I 130 thru a law office on June 7th. I received a recipt letter showing the case number on June 13. i've been waiting for the I 130 to be approved since then. Is anyone knows how long that might take in my case. really appreciate your help guys.:confused:

Was the I-130 for your wife, parent or son/daughter, brother/sister ? Are a permanent resident or a US citizen ? Is it being processed in Vermont or California ? The processing time will depend on these 3 factors.

fbanna79,

Thank you so much for reply.
I am a US citizen. The I 130 is for my wife. And it is Vermont service center.

Hello fbanna79;
is there anything that you would recommend me that I can do while I wait for the approval? I know that the next step is form DS3032 which I can simply e-mail to NVC without needing of my mom's signature, right? and pay for I-864 bill. So I guess I don't have anything to take care of for a while. Well at least until I don't get the approval and the NVC case #. I am just checking, if you think about anything that I am forgetting please point me out.
Thanks fbanna79. And congrats I can't believe your timeline, it's so great you're almost done with your part!

I typed in my mother's name for the I-864 signature portion and it was approved. I have received a response to the e-mailas well but they basically said they already have the DS3032 and told me send the biographic documents as soon as possible to complete the case. It took 2 weeks for the e-mail to be processed, so you may consider sending the e-maila as soon as NVC assigns a case number.

Depending on your consulate, if NVC reviews the DS-230 and biographic forms, you may want to have your mother send you the following in advance:

- two passport size photos,
- police certificate,
- court docuemnts if applicable,
- photocopy of her passport,
- birth certificate,
- marriage or divorce record if applicable.

Also, you may want to:

- gather all information regarding the DS-230 in advance
- have your mother fill out the DS230, sign it and return it to you.
- prepare yourself financially if you do not have a stable income. Make sure you are ready to pay $ 70.00 for the I-864, $400.00 for the visa fee and around $150.0 for the medical analysis.

I forgot. For the I-864, you may want to do the following in advance:
- prepare you 6-months of pay stub or letter from your employer, whichever you are using
- prepare your last year tax return or for the past three years if you want to add them.
- Fill out the I-864 to ensure you have all information required on the form.

I am shooting to complete my mother's case with NVC in 1 month. I would have been able to complete it in 3 weeks if someone told me these quick shortcuts.

I strongly advise paying the I-864 online. This way, after NVC receives the DS3032 they generate the visa bill after two days and you can go back, pay the bill, wait another two days, print the cover sheet and send the biographic documents and DS-230.

FYI: NVC has received my DS-230 and biographic documents today. I am only waiting for approval and interview date. Another shortcut, I sent my mother the medical analyses fees ahead of time.

The only expense I have to do now is the plane ticket when the visa is approved.

Thanks

Wow, thank you so much for your tips!!! I will start working on them, I only hope that they don't take too long to approve I-130. I want to ask you about the I-864 form. My question is if the income is only mine or I could include my husband. We have joint taxes, so I don't want to separate our income.
Well, thank you so much fbanna79, and please let us know any news. Best luck to you and your mom. I wish I could also be talking about flight tickets, soon.

For my i-864, I did not use my wife's income because my income was sufficient for 4 people (Myself, my wife, my daughter and my mother). We did file taxes together. You can use your husband's income if you think it is necessary to help you qualify. But you don't have to. Just make sure you list him as member of the household. That is the most important piece.

fbanna79, paola81, i am learning a lot from you guys. thanks for the helpful information that you are providing. 9 more days and it will be 6 complete months from the recipt letter I have received (June 13th), and i am wonder when they will send me the approval leter and what can i do in the mean time. could it take longer than 6 months? I'm sorry guys but i can't wait to see my wife again.

I think they take a little longer for spouses than for parents. My I-130 was approved in less than 1 month.

Kiro, I've also filed for my wife and hoping that my I-130 approval doesn't take too long...hopefully as quick as fbanna79...

Paola81, i know you just received your NOA1 the other day, did you check to see if your case is showing up online. If you haven't then could you please check and let us know.

Thanks....

The NOA1 is the receipt notice and the NOA2 is generally the approval notice unless there is an RFE (Request for Evidence).

Hello everybody! Yes I did check my case number online right away after I got my letter, and it says that this application was received on nov, ...2008 then it says that a receipt notice letter was sent to me with instructions about the process and to follow them. etc, etc.
Also, kiro have you called USCIS?, because that's what they suggest to do in the case that your case goes over the processing time frame and then you can file an inquiry about it over the phone. Also I think you can make an appointment to go talk to a representative.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats so weird mine is still not online...and my NOA1 was before yours. Is your case at VSC or CSC?

Kiro, yes NOA1 is the receipt date...

I haven't called USCIS yet. but i asked the layer to send an inquiry letter. NOA1 is dated JUNE 13th, so i will wait till DECEMBER 13 and i will call then if i don't get a response.
do you guys know anyone in my situation? if yes, how long did this person wait until he received the approval letter.
dekagunda, as soon as i received my NOA1, I punched the case number on USCIS web site and it shows as " case received and pending ".

dekagunda My case is at CSC! have you tried calling USCIS as well? Just call them to inquiry about that they can probably figure it out for you.
Kiro, if I would be you I would just call right away, the sooner the better then they can file an inquiry and give you answers. I don't think it will make any difference for 9 days.