I-129 Premium Processing is it Risky

harshom

Hi

I am working on TN visa in US, I want to change a Job, how risky is it to go through I-129 premium processing? and how is Success rate for this? would you recommend to go to border and again file for new TN or to file via I-129 premium?

Thanks

harshom

I did not have any problems with TN I-129 PP. My last two employers used to file PP whether for an extension or for a new TN for a new employer. One thing though: my new employer checked the box for "replacement TN" so I couldn't work for both employers at the same time. You can have multiple TNs at the same time and I had done that at the border before. But some employers don't like that because of conflict of interest due to working for a competitor concurrently. So if they check that box, once the new TN replaces the old one, you won't be able to work for the old employer which results in not being able to give a 2 week notice.

Nothing beats a well prepared petition, either at the border or by mail. There is no success rate kept on these. But there is no more or less risk with doing I-129 with or without Premium Processing.

But as Ottawa brings out, the I-129 is less in your control than the border petition. You are much more subject to errors and misunderstandings made by lawyers and HRs at that point.