Hurrah Good News .... For those who already got PR :)

stamping for H1/PR

Hello!

I am not so sure about the visa stamping to be done for H1 person who happens to be a PR.

Is it not saying that there will be two rules one for the PR and one for the PR who also have H1 visa, cause under NAFTA PR's are free to come to US without any visa.

Can you refer to the source of the information??

thanks,

Re: stamping for H1/PR

Hi There,
Actually I spoke with the US immigration people on 1-900 number. They specifically told me that this is the new rule and If you do not have multiple entry H1. I guess in our cases if there is no stamping in your passport for H1 then one has to go and get visa from US embessy when they visit Canada. I know that under NAFTA it was not required, but this is new rule and might have over ridden the old rule. I am not sure with the H1 stamp in the passport (Is it counted as multiple entry or single entry???? ). You can speak with the immigration representative on 1-900 number. I spoke for like 15 minutes to make this sure and according to him we have to get visa from US embessy.

If you make sure then post it here. I want more people to make check on it and find out that this rule is really implemented. This is very important for us because if we have to get visa then we have to arrange everything in advance before we visit canada.

I will appreciate anyone's comment and more information on this issue.

Thanks.

multiple entry h1????

As long as one has a "valid H1" visa stamped on the passport, one can leave and come back to US n number of times.

I came back yesterday via Rainbow bridge and not a word about this new rule.

To Mr S Ray

Yes I did apply for PR card. The immigration officer told me it does not matter if you live here or not, as long as you have an address in Canada, I should apply for PR card and thats free. There is no fee associated with it.( I thought they may charge $50 per person).

Hi RSK1 can you give more info about PR card application

Hey,
You have written that you applied for the PR card. Did you have to take some special picture for that in canada. How did you apply? I mean did you go to the immigration office or you just applied on the border. Provide with the formal procedure, so that we can atleast have some idea what kind of procedure they are going to form for the PR card.

I will appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

We carried some pp size photographs as suggested by Mr S Ray. The Immigration officer at border post (Rainbow bridge) filled 4 forms for PR and we signed that. The photos were the same ones we used last year in filing imm for Canada.

US GC holder Landing in Canada

Hi Guys,
I currently have US Green Card and I am waiting for my Canadian landing papers. Suppose if I land from India, will they find out that I already have a US Green Card ? and if they do, will they ask me to surrender my US Green Card right away or will they give me time to decide ? Please reply ...
Raj

Re: US GC holder Landing in Canada

Hi RAJ5,
Q: I currently have US Green Card and I am waiting for my Canadian landing papers. Suppose if I land from India, will they find out that I already have a US Green Card ?

Ans: No matter from where you land into Canada, they are going to find out that you have GC. They can simply find it out from your passport because there is stemp in your passport for US GC.

Q :if they do, will they ask me to surrender my US Green Card right away or will they give me time to decide ? Please reply ...

Ans: Once they will find out that you have US GC and you are trying to get Canadian landaded status, then they will tell you to surrender one of the GC. They will not just take away US GC without your concent, on the other side they will tell you to surrender one of them either US or Canada. Now with this new rule for landaded immigrants ( 3\5 year rule) you might try this thing " Tell them that you want to get canadian PR because you want to settled down in Canada after one year or so after finishing your project in US or something like that". If you will be able to convenience the immigration officer then s\he might allow you to be a landaded immigrant in canada. I know the second option to convinence the officer is little difficult. And please don't go to india and try to land in canada. If you are in US then just go to border and try to finish your procedure for landing into canada from here only.

This are my views. I guess you can also contact some other persons or lawyer. But I guess whatever I have written is right according to my knowledge.

Good Luck .... :)

Raj, I think they may not take you US GC right away.
You may be able to take time for your permanent move to canada
and keep US GC till then now that we have 3/5 rule.
Keep in mind if you are not really interested in making canada
your permanent residence, don't even try landing since 3 years will fly off soon. You could get refund of ROLf if you are not landing.

Need Help from Anyone

Guys & Gals ,
I am very fortunate to be a part of this forum . I am Phanesh just joined today & i have read the entire chain of this thread & found very informative . I badly NEED some help right now ! Hope some will ?
I will try to keep this long story short :

Currently I am on H1 B visa (as others) working in NJ burned little over 3 years on my H1 . I have applied for GC labor (traditional way) last month . I am not sure what are the chances of this going through before i end up burning all 6 years !!

My Canada Story - I landed in Cnada on may 29 2000 as a permanent resident , I came to back to the us after a week & continued my job in NJ , Staying in Nj i tried to apply for jobs in Canada nothing worked out , i went to cnada on Sep 29 2000 to try that in person , something came very close eventually did not work , i returned to the US & continued my job never went to canada after that .i got my Canada Social Security card , What shoould i do now ?

Good to hear about new law ! Suggest me what you think ! should i take a chance going to canada to retain my PR status
Feel free to e-mail me : makam@lucent.com

Hoping to hear frorm any one !!

- Phanesh

Hi Rinku123,
Thank you for spending your valuable time to clear
my doubts. You are right they may find out about my GC from my passport...but it was stamped a while back..and thought they may not go through all the pages..This is one of the reasons why I want to land from India..
Your second option looks good...but never know what to expect from a immigration..official..
Thank you once again.
Raj

Hi BD,
Thank you for your suggestion. I am Interested in moving to Canada but not immediately...may be next year. Till that time I will be living in US..and need my GC. Lets see what happens.
Thanks
Raj

PR card forms and requirements are posted

Hi Every one,
I just came back to this thred and saw that not much of activity going on. I just wanted to keep this thred alive and letting every one know that PR card application and Guide line to fill up the PR card has been posted on cic website. You can go and have a look at it. It looks like that Individual has to go there and apply for the PR card because they require the Photographer to stamp their address and all.

Go though it. Post your responses on the form and how can we complete this remaining here. I am trying to figure out the ways to do that.... :)

Thanks to every one...... :)

New law requiring visa stamp

Hi all

The new law that mandates a visa stamp while entering US, does anyone know ehen it is coming, or whether it is coming at all. I hear different things about it, but no one seems to know for sure. Which number can we call and ask about it? do we ask INS or the state department?

Thanks for all your help
hmnpa

For Rinku123
"It looks like that Individual has to go there and apply for the PR card because they require the Photographer to stamp their address and all."

the above requirement of stamp on photograph is no longer needed, now no need of photoshop address or stamp at back side of photograph they have changed it
read:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF

If you can get forms and know some Notary or lawyer in Canada and if the lawyer is ready to sign your photograph and sign on form then your relative or friend can do it for you in Canada, no need to visit Canada to apply PR card, if that works out then you only need to go to collect your PR card
( I dont know if anybody tried this)

new act

Hi,
I landed canada on december 2000 and returned to US. I got an extension of 2 years to stay outside canada and as per that, i have to return to canada next month. As per the new act, can i stay for one more year?
TIA,
gknair.