Hurrah Good News .... For those who already got PR :)

rahu99

Registered Users (C)
Guys seems Canada Govt shown some sympathy on those already had PR and thought of staying out side canada for more than 183 days (old rule says you have to come back after 183 days )As per new rule It is ok till 3 years...
Isn\'t good... :)
Here is the source..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/irpa/fs-residents.html
Need comments guys , I got my PR in last May 2001
Rahul...

No Title

I hope nobody is against this 3/5 years but this is NOT final, let us wait for the final regulations to be published, they may recomend some other conditions to maintain PR, let us wait, June 28 is not away and Final version will be out shortly.

Consulates are not taking RRP applications anymore

Hi everyone, I have a friend at school in Italy who has Canadian PR and she inquired about the returning resident permit at the consulate in Rome and they said the new law is being phased in. I believe these regulations are quite final, might have minor modifications but not much. They are applying the new IRPA to applications for permanent residency...I\'m counting on the new residency requirements, then again, I will not have been outside Canada for more than 183 days on June 28.

Best of luck to everyone.

Can someone be clear...about these new regulations

I didn\'t follow what is this new regulation

No Title

Residents needs to have a PR card inorder to land in Canada as per new law.
 They can not start giving the PR card to newly landed immidiatly, and those who are out of Canada they can use Landing paper to enter Canada up to Jan 2004, that is what I got the answer from Canada Immigration officer at Toronto airport, he said that it will take time to issue Cards.

I hope they are not going to request all the airlines that Landing paper is NOT valid they will take some time after 28 June, few immigration experts are saying that paper will still be valid travel document for minimum 1 or 2 years

How does the new law affect RRP ?

Hello All!
 I am on RRP and will be staying out of Canada for some more time.
 But it looks like I need an extension to it. So does the new law means that I do not need to apply for extension. Does this mean I can simply go to canada even after RRP expires but I am with in the 3 year period from my date of landing.

Am I getting this correct or i am misinterpreting this proposed law???
Any comments will be welcome!

Thanks in advance!!

Test - call the consulate

One amazing test that you could do is call the Canadian consulate in the country where you currently reside and tell them you need to extend your RRP...they will most likely tell you that there is no need to because of the new IRPA.

Monster28

how to calculate the # years?

Thanks all for the response!

Still got few questions!

How do they calculate the 5 years timeframe? Does it start from the day an immigrant leaves Canada ? I was reading acc, to the new law time spent on RRP is also counted towards satisfying the physical residency criterioin. So in effect, they are saying even if I am out of Canada on RRP, they will count that time(say a year) as if I was in canada. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Another test: Just ask to apply for RPR

Just tell the consulate that after you landed you haven\'t returned to Canada for 1 year. Tell them also that you never applied for RPR and now you are interested. I think they will tell you you are OK to return with the new law (i.e., no need for RPR).

Any comments is appreciated.

Bravo

I asked information officer same q , He said same thing but not mentioned how much time it will take to get PR card thr, caz I can\'t stay in canada More than a week Due to Job in US... And Assuming IRPA implemented by June 28 th.. after that once u entered canada & leave canda , I think we ned a PR card . Not sure landing papers.. will work aftr that.., ok.. Guys if u know more info share it.. Rahul

No RRP after Law!

Hi! All
I called the Consulate, and only one thing could be Confirmed them "NO RRP WILL BE GIVEN AFTER LAW COMES INTO AFFECT""

The immigration officer did not comment on PR card or 3/2 years rule.

Any comments are welcome!

for which number are u calling...

Could u pls give the number ..I would also like to call the consulate and find out the same..
Thanks

NY!

the number is 212.596.1783.

I believe they attend calls between 1 to 4.
may be you get to talk to someone who can explain it in more detail.

goodluck!

Retroactive effect

Still I\'m confused. I have landed in April 2001. I did not see anything that says about retrogessive effect. Are we still under the new rule?

Any body got any new info on the law?

Has anyone recently talked to a Counsellor/officer regarding the law?

please post your comments!

Thanks

Question about 183 days in a yr being physically in Canada

The following lines are from this website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/irpa/ii-general.html . This just occured to me , does the 183 days in a yr to be physically preseent in Cananda come under "Terms and conditions imposed under the old Act are considered imposed under the new Act".

New Immigration and Refugee Protection Act applies to all applications and proceedings that are pending or in progress before June 28, 2002.
A decision made under the old Act continues to be in force under the new Act.
A document that is issued under the old Act and is valid continues to be valid under the new Act.
Terms and conditions imposed under the old Act are considered imposed under the new Act.