How will the Immigration Service know how long a permanent resident has been gone?

darena01

I wonder how the immigration service may know if a permanent resident is in or outside of the US.

Somewhere I read that the immigration keeps records of departures only. So if a permanent resident left the US for three months, the immigration service would have a record of his departure but won't have any record of his arrival three months later. The immigration service won't know where a resident is until he leaves the US again and they have a new record of his departure. Is it true?

Most people fly, some cross a land border, other by ship. Airlines and ships have manifests that they must hand over to authorities. At land borders "Smile! You're on candid camera!" license plate and radio frequency chips (in passports and those special frequent traveler cards and programs) provide much information and some people are checked more closely in both directions. The U.S. and most civilized countries share information about cross-border travel. The U.S. and its neighbors share information because it has an impact on both sides of their borders.

Plan to be on the radar and you will not have to keep track because BIG BROTHER will do it for you.

All airlines operating flights into and out of US are required by law to submit passenger manifests to Dept of Homeland Security.

So is the greencard or the passport used to index last exit/entry? I've been away for 4-5 months at a time and when asked how long I was away I stated 2 weeks. Nobody at POE ever gave me any problems.

So is the greencard or the passport used to index last exit/entry? I've been away for 4-5 months at a time and when asked how long I was away I stated 2 weeks. Nobody at POE ever gave me any problems.

Don't worry, it will come back to haunt you later.

Lies are not ALWAYS exposed (some people get away with lying), but why would you even take the chance? You have NO idea what immigration knows about your travel history. They may have EVERYTHING, or NOTHING, or something in between, but you will not know what. If what you say does not match even a small part of what they know, they might dig deeper, and then who knows what they'll decide to do. You're taking a HUGE chance.

again some arbitrary remarks

about "lying "about how long you been outside the country ..relax ..if its less then 6 moths that you been away from US it wont affect anything so you don't need to lie at all since when you apply for citizenship the question would be "did you took any trips longer then 6 moths in any calendar year "..

virtually every immigrant I know (and I know hundreds of them) took trips longer then 6 moths at least once during the 5 or 7 years period during the time in the US a s a GC holder and ALL OF THEM LIED AT LEAST ONCE TO IMMIGRATION ...I never heard that any of them got into trouble because of that ......THAS SAID I'M NOT ADVISING YOU TO LIE ..ITS JUST A BARE FACT THAT IMMIGRANTS LIE ALL THE TIME ABOUT THAT

AIRLINES DO SUPLAY MANIFEST TO USCIS BUT ITS NOT BEEN ENTERED IN THE SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY BUT MANUALLY SO ONLY FRACTION IS ENTERED IN THE USCIS DATA BASE IF ANY ..

This is by car. Airplanes leave too much paper and stamp trail. Plus I had one of those old school passports which was not swipe-able. I live and work in US now. So meh.

Yeah immigrants are not perfect and it's nice to label us idiots and criminals. Meanwhile, DHS/ATF is shipping weapons to Mexico while getting promotions. Yup. Getting people killed is an administrative discrepancy. Travelling to Canada to pursue a degree in engineering and lying about absences so that I can be with my family is a felony. Rite?

Most of the people think that it is true but i am sure they have many other sources through which they can come to know whether you are permanent or not.Like postal services may also help them.They can send on letter and it return then they can manage.