How to use Advance Parole

SMZ

Registered Users (C)
I want to know, how to use AP. I heard, I need to goto US counsulate (in my case its Mumbai Consulate) and get something stamed on my passport.

Can you please share your experience and let me know exact procedure. Your help is truely appreciated.

No NO

Don\'t need to go to the consulate. Those days are over . You are in AOS - nearly a PR.
All you have to do is bring a proof of reason for the travel(optional), your AP and passport to the airlines. Make enough copies of the AP in case there are hoppin thru different countries. Hand over the copies to the airlines rep whenever they ask for proof of status.
Fill out the white I94 form which they give out in the airlines or you can find one in most of the immigration counters. At the counter hand over the filled I94, Passport and AP to the INS officer. You might have to state who is the primary beneficiary of the AOS and is teh GC is employment based or family based. They might also check whether you had maintained valid status while you were in US (before)
Depending on the load, experience of the officer and Port of entry your documents will get stamped either by the officer or by a supervisor in a side office.
Make sure that the validity dates are consistent in all stamps (on AP copy with your photo, On passport and On I94).
If it is multiple entry you should get the AP back stamped.

No Title

jaxen ,
I got 3 APs(2 issed to alien and one issed to transport line) and you say Make enough copies means that you make extra copies and present them to whoever.So you do not need to bring original ones?Please clarify!

The additional copies are for the airlines -if they are more than one..

You should always carry at least the original with photo, since INS will stamp on it. INS is supposed to take the 1st duplicate . But they prefer to take the photo copy of the original (with the stamp). Moreover the copy reserved for the transporter is never taken. They all want to see the AP with the photo (especially post 911). By your second trip using AP, you will realize that having copies of the AP (with the original to show for validation) is easiest to deal around..