How to renew mother's passport while waiting for i-485 interview

i don't know. i assume if you goto india, you get your passport renewed there. i also assume INS accepts expired passports. i do know someone higher up at the embassy so let's see what happens at the interview.

Just wondering... Have you talked to the Council or just one of the embassy workers? We faced similar problem in out Embassy (not Indian though, in fact worse :) ), and I wrote a complaint directly to the Council. Let me tell you - they said they'll do my passport right away. Unfortunately sometime those people just don't want to do their work (even though there is no requirement on something).

i don't know. i assume if you goto india, you get your passport renewed there. i also assume INS accepts expired passports. i do know someone higher up at the embassy so let's see what happens at the interview.
Did you find out if the embassy would accept EAD if the green card is not approved yet?

Did you find out if the embassy would accept EAD if the green card is not approved yet?

The embassy would have accepted the EAD card. How is EAD card makes you any different then a b1/b2. You are still on same status because EAD holder is also waiting for GC.

Just wondering... Have you talked to the Council or just one of the embassy workers? We faced similar problem in out Embassy (not Indian though, in fact worse :) ), and I wrote a complaint directly to the Council. Let me tell you - they said they'll do my passport right away. Unfortunately sometime those people just don't want to do their work (even though there is no requirement on something).

Someone else suggested that I should speak with the Consul rather then the embassy workers. I was advised to wait until after the interview. The Consul usually don't take kindly to Embassy workers (Visa/passport) abusing their powers.

Thanks everyone for great advice.