How to preserve GC while live abroad?

citizen2b2b

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC in 2006. I lost my Job in the states, and have been in China since october. I plan to live and look for a job in China for the next couple of years. What is my best bet to preserve the GC? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you will have to go back to the US and apply for a Re-Entry Permit. Then, you will either have to wait for a biometrics appointment, or leave and come back when they give you an appointment. Ask them to expedite the application, and hopefully they will. This'll let you stay out for a couple of years at least, and then you can apply for a new one in the same way.

I got my GC in 2006. I lost my Job in the states, and have been in China since october. I plan to live and look for a job in China for the next couple of years. What is my best bet to preserve the GC? Thanks a lot.

This is a bad situation. If you PLAN to live in china for couple of years , then there is a high possibility that your GC may be revoked.

At the very least get a reentry permit, but from your situation it seems six month or so would not be enough. There was another post from a member with similar situation (s/he was going to Brazil), search for that thread.

Get all the facts before leaving to china as couple of year might be a bit too much to prove your intention to come back to USA. You have maintain all viable ties with USA as the burden of proof is on you to show that you HAD the intention to come back to USA.

vik_b

I am just a layman not a lawyer. Please treat my comments appropriately.