How to get wife's name change done late in the process.. Experts please suggest

Aakash28

Registered Users (C)
My wife has kept her maiden name uptil now. We used her maiden name while filling out N-400. It's been 2 months since we submitted the N-400 application. Now she has decided that she wants to go ahead with the name change.

Is it possible at this stage. If so how can we get her name change done without impacting/delaying the citizenship process??

Experts please advise.

Thanks

My wife has kept her maiden name uptil now. We used her maiden name while filling out N-400. It's been 2 months since we submitted the N-400 application. Now she has decided that she wants to go ahead with the name change.

Is it possible at this stage. If so how can we get her name change done without impacting/delaying the citizenship process??

Experts please advise.

Thanks

She can take care of it during her N-400 interview.

She can take care of it during her N-400 interview.

can you change your wife's name later? i thought if you do it now, your oath will have to be judicially administered and that might add some time to the whole process.

i mean a name change is very common, i am sure it happens to a lot of people after they file for the N400, so there are ways to deal with that later

Experts please advise.

Thanks

As Big Joe said your spouse can try at the time of n400 interview. I have read in earlier posts where IO's, try and convince applicants that there will be considerable delays and hence not desirable to change name. If you stick to your name change, IO has to accept it and be prepared for some delay as oath will be in court.

Changing name after citizenship is troublesome and costly.

Here is what I understand so far..

My wife can still go for a name change during the interview process even though she applied N-400 under her maiden name, and also had her FP done.

Also, from what madh4 said, if we go for a name change during interview process, we should expect delays...??? Please can some one explain clearly how much delay(in days or months).. and at what step. So if my wife request for a name change during the interview is it going to delay the approval?? Once approved how much delay can name change cause between interview and oath process?

Thanks

Here is what I understand so far..

My wife can still go for a name change during the interview process even though she applied N-400 under her maiden name, and also had her FP done.

Also, from what madh4 said, if we go for a name change during interview process, we should expect delays...??? Please can some one explain clearly how much delay(in days or months).. and at what step. So if my wife request for a name change during the interview is it going to delay the approval?? Once approved how much delay can name change cause between interview and oath process?

Thanks

It will not delay the approval but it will most likely delay the oath since it is taken in a court as far as I know. Maybe others who have done this can chime in but I assume that the delay should be a matter of weeks and not months. It will surely depend in which district you live.