• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How to get police clearance from Kenya when in USA

muffin

Registered Users (C)
Just wondering how do you go about getting police clearance / background checks from Kenya when you're in the USA? If someone has done it please tell me how.

Also, how long does the process take?

Is there a way to do it through the Embassy in DC?

I guess like in any other country. If you do CP, you are in your home country and apply for the police report when you are there.

I guess like in any other country. If you do CP, you are in your home country and apply for the police report when you are there.
hi bentlebee
who said that going cp= being in your home country??????
If you are chinese living in latin america then you go through counsular process in latin america, in the country you are living in if there is a us embassy if not , you can choose to have you're interview in a neighboring country where there is a us embassy.
And let me just add thank god!!!! Can you imagine every dv winner going back to his home country just for the interview???
Plus don't forget that native country means your country of birth in the dv.
SOme people like me where born in a country but never lived there and yet the won the dv because the country of birth is eligible.
one last thing, just because on asks how to get a police certificate from a country does not mean he is from that country, he has probably lived there for some time.
In my case i'll have to have 4 police certificates from 4 different countrie.
In some cases like in France i can ask for it by e-mail. In other cases i have parents living there and they are doing the necessary for me.
Muffin, Contacting the kenyan is a good start even if they can't give you the police certificate at least they can give you a document that you'll be able to send to the kenyan authorities.

Good luck!!!

I didn't know that. I thought you had to do it in the country you are living in, but wasn't thinking that people would have moved abroad...stupid me...I did move myself but I'm in the USA so i was thinking about CP or AOS.

From the state departments recipriocity website:

"To obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct, applicants residing in other countries must send a complete set of rolled and plain fingerprints together with a written request to the Criminal Investigations Department, P.O. Box 30036, Nairobi. Fingerprints should be taken by a local police official and bear an official stamp, or be taken before an attorney and certified. The official should also verify the identity of the individual being fingerprinted by noting the details of the identification document. Fee is 500 Kenyan shillings per application plus return postage, with results available in 2-4 weeks. Applicants in Kenya should apply in person at CID Headquarters in Nairobi. Undocumented aliens in Kenya are not eligible for a Police Certificate. "

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3595.html

Just wondering how do you go about getting police clearance / background checks from Kenya when you're in the USA? If someone has done it please tell me how.

Also, how long does the process take?

Is there a way to do it through the Embassy in DC?

I have done it...easy as 1, 2, 3...

Forget the dummies @ the embassy...it's gonna take forever. Simply get your notarized copies of kenyan id, passport and go to the nearest police precinct. have them do a Livescan and print out in standard finger print form.

Send them to someone who knows Nairobi well, to the CID HQ. The fee to get a police certificate of good conduct is Ksh1,500 per person.

CID will give you a response within 1 week.

sooooo....

1 week to send finger print packag via DHL/UPS/Fedex
1 week for report to be released
1 week for the certificates to be sent back to US
Min 3 weeks for everything....see? easy as 1, 2, 3 weeks

of course, you may have to grease the system to turn those cog wheels..LOL!

It's not for CP, otherwise I wouldn't ask.

bonno, thanks for the reply :)

TNDV2008, thanks for the interesting info. I'm thinking I might have to send it directly to CID since I don't have anyone in Nairobi who can do this for me. The problem with that is I can't use DHL or FEDex since they won't deliver to a P.O. Box. How long do the DC embassy people take?

Also, I asked the police precinct near where I live and they said they don't do fingerprints. Can I just go to one of those fingerprinting places or is it a must it be from a police station? Also, do I pay in US dollars (send a money order) or how do I do it? :confused:

thanks for your help!

I had someone help me back home...though I had to be a lil' generous to help move things along...:)

as for local PD for fingerprints, locate the city's main precinct, then go ask for them. You may encounter some initial resistance from the usual front line dummy, so ask to speak to their supervisor and explain the purpose (required by USCIS) blah! blah!.

You may have to pay some small fee ($50) for the service.