How to deal with different names on Indian and US passports

pmpforgc

Registered Users (C)
During my naturalization interview today, I was asked to remove my middle name by the officer. (because she told that they dont allow fathers name as middle name, as is the tradition in many part of south asia and India)

So this means that I will get passport and naturalization documents without middle name. My all other documents till today has middle name.

So what potential issues at OCI and other Indian govt processes, I will face and how to solve those. As I understand this is not a official name change, it is just drop of middle name that existed before on all my documents, so I will not have any official court order name change document or so to support this change.

I am sure some one from here has gone through this trouble before for OCI and guide me to be prepared and ready to deal this issues that I think will come on my way soon. If they ask for notraized letter/statement does any one has standard draft for such letter.

Sorry if I'm over-reacting...

I have my father's name as my middlename... how can someone dictate that you drop it? it is individual's choice. This is strange that an officer asked to drop part of the name. May be you should consider appealing.

Working with Indian system is so complicated for no reasons....I don't have a straight forward answer but I wonder if while issuing OCI they would create issue because passport match is onething they mentioned in the process activites.

officer were ready with there knowledge of indian system. looked at birth certificate from past where father name was same as I was trying to use for my middle name. so i was asked to follow us system, or to go with legal name change process through judge (though it will not be a name change) so ultimately i have to approve her idea of dropping middle name instead of going to long name change judicial process.

They did the same thing for my spouse and removed husband name from middle name. Looks like they are targetting peoples of indian subcontinent to remove middgle name in the DO that I was in.
officer were ready with there knowledge of indian system. looked at birth certificate from past where father name was same as I was trying to use for my middle name. so i was asked to follow us system, or to go with legal name change process through judge (though it will not be a name change) so ultimately i have to approve her idea of dropping middle name instead of going to long name change judicial process.

During my naturalization interview today, I was asked to remove my middle name by the officer. (because she told that they dont allow fathers name as middle name, as is the tradition in many part of south asia and India)

So this means that I will get passport and naturalization documents without middle name. My all other documents till today has middle name.

So what potential issues at OCI and other Indian govt processes, I will face and how to solve those. As I understand this is not a official name change, it is just drop of middle name that existed before on all my documents, so I will not have any official court order name change document or so to support this change.

I am sure some one from here has gone through this trouble before for OCI and guide me to be prepared and ready to deal this issues that I think will come on my way soon. If they ask for notraized letter/statement does any one has standard draft for such letter.

Its absolutely ridiculous to ask someone to drop part of their name, I'm not sure why they are doing that at ur DO, I'm from Dallas my wife has father's name as middle name and they didn't say anything , I guess you can appeal and I'm pretty positive USCIS cannot ask some to simply drop the part of middle name, I think you have a good legal case which you can easily win..that's my 2 cents

Could you suggest some OCI related actions that I might need

Its absolutely ridiculous to ask someone to drop part of their name, I'm not sure why they are doing that at ur DO, I'm from Dallas my wife has father's name as middle name and they didn't say anything , I guess you can appeal and I'm pretty positive USCIS cannot ask some to simply drop the part of middle name, I think you have a good legal case which you can easily win..that's my 2 cents
''

There argument is if you want to be in US follow US rules and US rule is not to use father/husband name as middle name. They compare our (Indian ) name with Birth Certificate from India which in most cases have only our first name and parents name in different sections. There was no point in arguing at time of naturalization interview.

I am looking for how to deal with this issue of different name on US and Indian passport while applying for the OCI and renunciation at Indian consulate.

You are correct legally it can be won easily, but unfortunately I am in no mood to fight over the issue.

You are correct legally it can be won easily, but unfortunately I am in no mood to fight over the issue.

I have my dad's name as the middle name...infact I did a legal name change at the time of naturalization and it is a very simple process. Didn't even go to the court !. But at the time of the oath ceremony, I was given a court order indicating my name change. But when I applied for the US passport and US Passport card, I got a letter saying that my middle name plus first name is too long (exceeded 15 character) so if I wanted both the passport book and card, I should shorten my middle name or cancel the passport card. So keep that in mind.

While applying for OCI, if the name in the indian passport is different from the US passport, they WILL ask you for the legal name change petition/order.

Does OCI stops after the 3rd generation? or it continues as OCI secured by the next generation

My spouse was never Indian citizen but her mother is an Indian citizen. We are planning to apply OCI for my spouse and my children through my mother-in-law. The problem I am hearing is that OCI is only for 3 generations.

Does that mean after the 3rd generation, next generation is not eligible for OCI? even if my wife and children secures OCI.