How to change visa from H4 to F1

rubincen

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Me, father and my mother moved into Dublin, Ohio (US) in November 2008. My father's on an H1B visa and my mother and I are on H4 visa as dependents. But I want to change my visa to F1 coz I will turn 21 next year and also I need to have a drivers license and SS#. So Please help me any one! How to get started and what should I do for it. I would be very very thankful to whoever helps me out.

Thank You!

Change of status from H4 to F1

I am currently a part time student in H4 visa. What documents are required for COS to F1 and how much time is it gonna take.

Thank you

Ask your institution whether they are eligible to issue F1 visas. If they are, they will give you an IAP66/I20 or whatever that form is called these days. That takes a few days. If you want to file for COS, that can take 9-12 month. You will be lawfully present during that time, but not yet in student status. If your COS is denied, you will be out of status retroactively. The smarter choice is probably getting a visa stamp abroad in your home country. That takes 2-3 days. You get an appointment for an interview and then fly home. You can also try Mexico or Canada but home country is usually easier and safer.