How to change entire name after Green card arrival

ckshenai

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody

I want to change my full name and my green card has already arrived. I saw the following post to get info to change last name.
http://boards.immigration.com/showt...&threadid=91591

But since i want to change my full name what is the process?

Things i know so far:
1. Go to court get court order from Judge saying this is my new name.
2. Send to all concerned like Social security card, License, credit cards, college, Employer, financial institutions, DMV, utilities, embassy (for passport), etc
3. Inform everybody

My question is:
A. What form do i use to change my name in my green card?
B. What documents do i need to include with the form?
C. Can i take the form to local service center or do i have to mail it?
D. Will it adversely affect my permanent residency?
E. This will be a long process. In the meantime can i use my old name for transactions? like financial etc
F. Will the green card with my old name be valid in the while the new card is being processed?
G. Finally, would you suggest waiting until i have citizenship?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Hi

Well coz my first name does go well with my last name. My first name is Chandra and my husband's last name is Banga. That doesn't go well together. Plus we want both of us to have the same last name as our children.

Any suggestions about the process?

jiyojiyo said:
How about changing your first name to Banga and your husband's last name is Chandra??
---Banga is surame in North India Punjab, if she changed as you suggest then it will be Banga Chandra and in north India it will not look nice becase if someone call her Banga Chandra somebody is going to laugh becase "chandra" is some time used in diffrent context, chandra in punjabi is like saying he/ she is bad.... Vo to chandra admi hai........ oh Chndriye ki kitaaa.....
Will it help. Yes, no need to change full name for youself, very easy

ckshenai said:
Hey guys

This is not helping me, need some constructive advise

All the steps you outlined in your original posting are correct.

"Things i know so far:
1. Go to court get court order from Judge saying this is my new name.
2. Send to all concerned like Social security card, License, credit cards, college, Employer, financial institutions, DMV, utilities, embassy (for passport), etc
3. Inform everybody"

Once all of this is done, you will need to do the following to update your GC:

1. Use form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card to request your new card
Link to form ---> http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-90.htm

2. You will need to include a certified true copy of the Judge's Court Order granting your name change.

3. You must also include another form of ID showing the new name - for example, a copy of your new DL (with the new name) and a copy of your SSN card - the instructions clearly indicate:

Correction or change in biographic data. If you are
applying to replace a card because of a name change,
you must submit a copy of a court order or marriage
certificate reflecting the new name. To replace a card
because of a change in any other biographic data,
you must submit copies of documentation to prove
that the new data is correct. A replacement
application based on administrative INS error must
also include an explanation.

4. You will need to file this at your local DO - follow the directions on the form carefully:

Where to File:
Unless otherwise instructed, file this application in person at
the local INS office having jurisdiction over where you live.
When you file in person you will have to complete the
signature and fingerprint blocks of a Form I-89, Data
Collection Form at an INS office when you file this
application. If you are instructed to mail this application to
INS, you will be instructed when to appear to complete the
I-89. Appearance requirements may be waived in cases of
confinement due to advanced age or physical infirmity.

5. Unfortunately, you must also submit your original GC - so you will not have a card the entire time your application is being processed.

6. I would also include a letter explaining why you decided to get your name changed - we all know how suspicious immigration officers get

7. Include the application fee

----------------------------------

Now that I've informed you of what to do, I am going to give you my 2cents. I think you should seriously consider waiting until after you become a citizen to change your name. I say this because of the long wait time in getting GCs out to applicants. You should check the processing dates for I-90s - sometimes people wait well over one year to get their GC back. Although this does not affect you residency, it is quite cumbersome and may cause serious delays if you get the card back with an error. [Imagine having to file another I-90 to get that straightened out!]

Please note that I am not a lawyer and I have provided the information to you based on what I know and what I gathered from USCIS.GOV website. The I-90 form has clear instructions.

Goodluck with whatever you decided to do.

Hi
Thanks for your very helpful reply. I spoke to the USCIS customer service center. They assured me it will only take 30 days to get the Green card back with my new name.

Though I am seriously considering waiting because of all the paperwork involved.........