how to apply for what benefits as an asylee?

action6

Registered Users (C)
I am bit in need of some asistance and thought that an asylee I am eligible for state or federal asylee benefits without any problem to my immigration case.

As an asylee you are not considered public charge for receiving benefits.

I am already receiving monthly medicaid and food stamp benefits and will be getting it for 9 months since grant of asylum in April of 2007.

Can I apply for cash benefits too? if so when and how long ? It's been 4 months since i got asylum.

thanks

I am bit in need of some asistance and thought that an asylee I am eligible for state or federal asylee benefits without any problem to my immigration case.

I am already receiving monthly medicaid and food stamp benefits and will be getting it for 9 months since grant of asylum in April of 2007.

Can I apply for cash benefits too? if so when and how long ? It's been 4 months since i got asylum.

thanks

You can apply for things like food stamp, TANF and Supplemental Security Income if you meet the normal requirements these program impose on applicants.

You are correct that as an asylee you are not barred from receiving these benefits. You can receive such benefits for up seven years--counting from the date of the asylum grant. Once you become a citizen there is no time limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
get a job

thanks

if you are really desperate for cash, wy you dont apply for a job,

there are a lot of places will hire you immediately without any skills or even good english, try:

burger king,maccdonald, starbucks, dunkin donuts, or ant fast food restaurant,

or even try busboy if you are a male,
or even a cashier at supermarket,

all these jobs pay from 9 dollar to 12 dollar hourly rate,

government cheques are small amount, its not their job to make you rich

if you are really desperate for cash, wy you dont apply for a job,

there are a lot of places will hire you immediately without any skills or even good english, try:

burger king,maccdonald, starbucks, dunkin donuts, or ant fast food restaurant,

or even try busboy if you are a male,
or even a cashier at supermarket,

all these jobs pay from 9 dollar to 12 dollar hourly rate,

government cheques are small amount, its not their job to make you rich

I totaly agree with you. Get a job!

I believe that you don't understand him. He already received Medicaid and food stamps. He has probably a family with several children. He won't be qualified for these benefits without children.
I recommend that you, members in this forum, help people rather than hurting and insulting them. Please be polite and present a better picture of new immigrants in the United States. Please spend enough time to understand people before making any judgment. That's a minimum.

I believe that you don't understand him. He already received Medicaid and food stamps. He has probably a family with several children. He won't be qualified for these benefits without children.
I recommend that you, members in this forum, help people rather than hurting and insulting them. Please be polite and present a better picture of new immigrants in the United States. Please spend enough time to understand people before making any judgment. That's a minimum.
I don't see any hurting by suggesting to look for a job, nobody ever has the right to judge another, however if you're really concerned about " the picture of new immigrants in the US" as you mentioned above then you should encourage him/her to seek an employment. Believe me being on a food stamp here in America isn't something to be encouraged for especially when you're a foreigner,
needless to say, IT WILL NOT make you rich neither will it save you from starving with only one exception of illness or disability that prevent you from working.
and that's being POLITE.

This person receives monthly Medicaid and food stamp benefits. Who can receive those benefits? Pregnant women and senior people, most of time. Do you think that these people can work?
Please, don't present these people as lazy who refuse to work.

Pregnant women and senior peolple are like any other person. They are not disable.
I agree that we should not judge people, but he/she is being helped already.
He/she recive food stamps and medicare. If he/she needs cash desperate, I agree with asylee01 that he should get a job as you or me. Belive me, it will be faster, easier and worth it.

It is just MY opinion, he/she can always do as pleased.

senior citizen can work

This person receives monthly Medicaid and food stamp benefits. Who can receive those benefits? Pregnant women and senior people, most of time. Do you think that these people can work?
Please, don't present these people as lazy who refuse to work.

i saw a lot of old people who are above 6o years old donig desk job,cashiers,
movie theatre,department stores,

i dont understand why its so hard for him or her to get job,

USA arleady gave him or her asylum status, what else he or she want? getting rich from the government, from our taxes,

if you are really concern about him or her, you should donate your pay cheque to them,

i dont want my taxes go to those people

i saw a lot of old people who are above 6o years old donig desk job,cashiers,
movie theatre,department stores,

i dont understand why its so hard for him or her to get job,

USA arleady gave him or her asylum status, what else he or she want? getting rich from the government, from our taxes,

if you are really concern about him or her, you should donate your pay cheque to them,

i dont want my taxes go to those people

you are damm right
that why i don't pay taxes ........just kidding :D

You probably don’t understand the philosophy of the immigration laws. It is vital for the government to facilitate the integration of the new immigrants in this country. The other immigrants receive the support of their sponsors. However, the asylees are countryless and may not have any family in the new country. That’s why the government creates a set of packages to support these kinds of immigrants. That’s basic and you should understand that.

This person need cash assistance, I receive Student Financial Aid, and as new Immigrants you should also receive something from American taxpayer money. Now it is time for you to contribute and add values to this society.

Please stop making negative judgment of other people, give them a chance to integrate the society.

You probably don’t understand the philosophy of the immigration laws. It is vital for the government to facilitate the integration of the new immigrants in this country. The other immigrants receive the support of their sponsors. However, the asylees are countryless and may not have any family in the new country. That’s why the government creates a set of packages to support these kinds of immigrants. That’s basic and you should understand that.

This person need cash assistance, I receive Student Financial Aid, and as new Immigrants you should also receive something from American taxpayer money. Now it is time for you to contribute and add values to this society.

Please stop making negative judgment of other people, give them a chance to integrate the society.

Since you received Student Financial Aid you must be defending yourself not him/her:D you replied twice on their behalf while the original poster didn't have much to say.
how much is this assistance worth anyway?

receiving any Financial Aid from government is ok.
But, keep reminder, you need to get a job to be free! We come to USA, not only for political freedom, but also financial freedom! We have a dream, Amercian dream; We need to work hard to finalize our dream.

Colocolo,

Advise someone to get a job, is never a bad advice. Working will give you a better future, freedom, and lots of benefits without begging. So telling people to get a job is not humiliating or calling them lazy, is the right thing to do.

i dont thing begging for government welfare cheques will help immigrants to assimilate, on the contrary it will make them poor,hopless,helpless, and dependent on the government forever,

i dont understand why you are so passionate about standing for those
lazy people who try to make endless execuses to avoid working