How stringent are photo requirements?

Lolcat

Registered Users (C)
I took two passport-style photos, but had a black headband and small dangling earrings on. My face is fully clearly seen, and the front of my hair and the back of my head outsode of the head band is visible.

On the USCIS site I see that the head has to be bare, but there is no mention of earrings.

Can I go ahead and send in my application today with the photos I have or do I need to take new photos without the headband and earrings?

There's a chance they may reject the photos due to the headband. Bring a new pair of photos without any headband to interview.

There's a chance they may reject the photos due to the headband. Bring a new pair of photos without any headband to interview.

Bobsmyth,
Thank you for your response. So, basically, I don't need to retake the photo for the application itself? I need to just take a new set with me for when I get called for the interview?

That is, can I go ahead and mail my application today with the headband-on photos?

Bobsmyth,
Thank you for your response. So, basically, I don't need to retake the photo for the application itself? I need to just take a new set with me for when I get called for the interview?

That is, can I go ahead and mail my application today with the headband-on photos?

Correct, or just wait to send out application until you have taken new photos.

I'd very much suggest that you get correct photos now, even if it means delaying sending out your N-400 by a day. In most drugstores you can get passport pictures done in about 30-60 minutes. If the photos submitted with an N-400 are not up to the required specifications, there is always a possibility that the entire application will be rejected and returned to you (without a case number being assigned). See this thread, for example:
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?297423-Forgot-to-send-passport-photos-with-N400

In that thread, post #5, by MsDossen reads: "My entire package got returned to me (rejected). It took about 2 weeks, they didn't cash my check and didn't send an NOA. I believe they rejected my application because my passport photos weren't up to the specifications. I got the boilerplate rejection notice."