How soon to contact senator/u.s.congressman

madh4

Registered Users (C)
We had our interview about 40 days back. I got Congrats in N652 and my wife Decision yet cannot be made. We went on Infopass last week. I was told my case is approved about 12 dates back and was in queue for OC in court due to name change. In my wife's case there is no further progress.

We were told to return back if we did not get our OL within 90 days from ID. Then they would make a Sevice Request. They would not allow us to meet our IO or any supervisor. By law they are correct.

We want to contact our Senator and Congressman . How soon should we contact them ??? Approaching them now, will it have any effect in the approval process. Or should we contact after 90 days from ID. Should we contact either Senator or Congressman or both. What is USCIS view on too much of elected official interference??? Do they turn it against the applicant ?? Seniors advise please and others opinion and views welcome.

Contacting congressperson can have mixed results, depending on what USCIS contacts the office has.
Also, since USCIS has up to 120 days after interview to adjudicate your case, contacting congressperson's office before at least 90 days has passed may have limited results.
Be patient and give it few more weeks before inquiring again.

madh - you never mentioned which DO you interviewed at ?

My DO is Chicago. My question is in general for any DO. If one approach elected officials will it turn the USCIS against the applicant.

I am of the opinion that USCIS staff deal the same way at all 50 states. I may be wrong. I am not sure USCIS is like the Chicago politicians. There is an old Indian saying "like the King, the subjects " Everyone knows Chicago politicians are corrupt.

Dont know about Chicago - but the VA Senators have been really helpful. Check the VA fairfax Tracker thread for name change cases. I got help from Jim Webb's office in getting my case expedited. Rule of thumb is, the case should be pending for more than 90 days - as you can seek to open a service request if it is pending for more than 90 days. And the service request number does indicate that even USCIS is cognizant of the delay.