How soon should TN status be obtained

S_Menon

Registered Users (C)
I have to join the position on June 4th with the identification documents like Social Security Number, Drivers License etc. How much time is required to obtain these documents and will going for TN status in first week of May be too early.

You won't get (nor do you need SSN) to begin work. You don't need new DL to work either. TN and passport will do.

The border used to give a TN a couple of weeks before start, but now often insist that you be starting immediately. If your TN letter has a start date of June 4, don't expect to get TN before June 1.

As to SSN, you can't aply for it until you actaully get TN, and it will not be granted to you until they verify your TN in a databse -- 3-6 weeks.

But you can start working immediately. You likley have 30 days after move to change your plates and DL.

My offer letter states that I should bring my SSN and driver license and dependant information on the first day of work. I was wondering if I can plan for Mid May. Can moving with kids be stated as a reason for earlier move to US.

What are the best points of entry for me to the US.

Thanks

They company can ask what they want -- but you simply won't have those things when you start -- nor do you need them

You only NEED your TN and passport, and they quite frankly cannot require you to provide any specific documents from you to start work -- that is the law (I-9 form).

No, the kids are not an excuse. You are unlikely to get TN more than a week or 2 before starting -- if that. The best practice is a dated letter with no specific start date, and an arrangement to begin 'working' by an arranged telecon with your employer as son as you cross the border.

Entry point differences are meaningless. A proper letter and clean documentation will be accepted at any and all ports.

Can you please direct me to the posts that lists the documentation required for TN and also gives me an idea on the format of the TN Employer letter. Do we need to work with a lawyer on this issue. As I had mentioned in my earlier post I have been offered a position of IT Manager with a public sector organization in Texas. I have mentioned to them that I am a Canadian Citizen. Please advise on which TN Category should I be applying - it would be CSA I think since I donot have any consulting experience as a Manager.

Thanks for your response.

Thanks Nelsona

Where should I be looking for TN Employment Letter formats. The employer has asked me to send the format to them.

Another query that I have is regarding travel. Can my kids travel to a different country with their friends if they are on TD.

There are TN letters all over the 'net.

There are no travel restrictins for Cdn citizens, are there? Nothing has changed by getting TN or TD. I would not travel to Cuba while living in US, but otherwise, no change.

What made you think there might be?