How Should I answer Q-23 Part 10 on N-400

Just answer NO....If they ask you at the interview explain what happened....It all comes to who interviews you...

Why did you wait until now to reapply?
Coming back to your question, you would answer NO to Q23 since you did change your answer about arrest at interview and therefore disclosed it.

I waited until now to reapply before on the decision..it mentioned wait 5 years after interview date to built good moral C before applying again...

You make a lot of sense..since I was allow to change it on Old N400 application, therefore, I disclose it then...and now the answer should be no...Thank you guys for your imput..and I will keep you posted on the outcome

I waited until now to reapply before on the decision..it mentioned wait 5 years after interview date to built good moral C before applying again...

You make a lot of sense..since I was allow to change it on Old N400 application, therefore, I disclose it then...and now the answer should be no...Thank you guys for your imput..and I will keep you posted on the outcome

Good luck Kader, don't forget to pray and let God be your guide.

If you can afford one, get a lawyer to draft an explanatory note. Whether you write YES or NO, it is best to put the best foot forward and not have any confusion. I think a detailed explanation from your side from the time the file hits their computers will help avoid any perception of wrongdoing.

Right now, the gap I see is that you changed the answer to YES, but the supervisor still did not buy it / see it. But you do not know what happened inside CIS from the time you changed the form to the time it was denied.

Avoid confusion at any cost.

The OP mentioned that the IO did allow him to change it to YES on application.

The way he worded made it seem he got the opportunity to change it to YES, but didn't.

Yes Mr Bobsmyth...At the interview, the IO asked me if was arrest or not..and I say yes..and he allow me to check yes on the question on the application and initial it.....Yes, about an arrest is for the rest of your life...but again, going though the application ...I just went on and check no...mistake happen...

It's not clear if the "I just went on and check no" is before the interview or during the interview. If it's the mistake was before the interview, and he actually changed it to YES at the interview, then he should be free and clear to say NO to the "false information" question.

At the interview, the IO asked me if was arrest or not..and I say yes..and he allow me to check yes on the question on the application and initial it.....Yes, about an arrest is for the rest of your life...but again, going though the application ...I just went on and check no...mistake happen...
I'm confused.
So you said YES to IO about arrest and he gave you the chance to change answer on application, but you still answered NO ?

Guys, I think all kader was saying was that when he was going through filling out his N-400 app, he said no to that question. Later at the interview, he corrected himself and changed his N-400 response and initialed it but got denied anyway. When he talked about saying no, he was referring to his mistake of forgetting about the incident and not putting that on his original application.

Guys, I think all kader was saying was that when he was going through filling out his N-400 app, he said no to that question. Later at the interview, he corrected himself and changed his N-400 response and initialed it but got denied anyway. When he talked about saying no, he was referring to his mistake of forgetting about the incident and not putting that on his original application.

You are correct sir..exaltly what happens

If that is the case why are you thinking of answering NO. To get it rejected once again !!!!!!!!!!!!

You are correct sir..exaltly what happens

Sounds to me like you need to talk to an immigration lawyer before submitting an N-400 application. Your situation is sufficiently complicated to require professional advice.

If that is the case why are you thinking of answering NO. To get it rejected once again !!!!!!!!!!!!
Because he disclosed it at interview by changing answer about arrest to YES on application. USCIS incorrectly denied him. A FOIA request of his previous application would show that he answered YES and initialed it.

What are you talking about? You don't even understand what that question is asking, do you madh4? Don't confuse this one with the question asking if the person had ever been arrested. They are two separate questions. Anyway, his answer to this question should be no. He had corrected his submission mistake at the earlier 2005 interview and so that means he did not give false or misleading info to the US Govt official. You are always given the right to correct mistakes in your app at the interview. I think it is silly that the IO still decided to reject his app back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you talking about? You don't even understand what that question is asking, do you madh4? Don't confuse this one with the question asking if the person had ever been arrested. They are two separate questions. Anyway, his answer to this question should be no. He had corrected his submission mistake at the earlier 2005 interview and so that means he did not give false or misleading info to the US Govt official. You are always given the right to correct mistakes in your app at the interview. I think it is silly that the IO still decided to reject his app back then.

Hi guys,

my opinion is the same. You have the opportunity to change any mistake in your N400 in the interview. I think they decided to denie your application due to other problem in your arrest or maybe the kind of offense. They can´t denie your citizenship on the basis you lied because you tell to IO officer about your arrest. Did you offer to the IO documentation??.

Hi guys,

my opinion is the same. You have the opportunity to change any mistake in your N400 in the interview. I think they decided to denie your application due to other problem in your arrest or maybe the kind of offense. They can´t denie your citizenship on the basis you lied because you tell to IO officer about your arrest. Did you offer to the IO documentation??.

I do think that the OP needs to consult an immigration lawyer before filing N-400 to get professional advice.

My non-expert 2c: although the answer "No" is probably justified, it may be better to answer "yes" and attach an explanation saying that he made an inadvertent mistake wile filling out the N-400 and that he corrected the mistake during the interview.
This way it will be harder for the USCIS bureaucrats to accuse OP of lying on the current N-400.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition,

You said that they denied your citizenship because youe lied about your arrest. I think they didn´t denie you because you said NO and then YES in the interview.It doesn´t make sense.

I don´t know exactly what you arrest was. But I think you didn´t say all the true about your arrest itself. USCIS has everything about your background. And USCIS denied you. That´s make sense.

If you said all the true, you should have appaled the decision.

Here is my story,
Five years ago, I was denied citizenship because of an arrest I forgot to disclose on my then N-400..Case was dismiss later...Receive a letter to that regard to provide a full background check before interview...At the interview, I disclose it and god is my witness..I just forgot about that arrest..Nonetheless, I was giving the opportunity to revise that answer..
On the decision letter I was told that I was denied because I lied about that arrest...
Now I am up again to reapply..Q-23 state
"Have you ever given false or misleading info to any us government official while applying for any immigration benefit or to prevent deportation, exclusion or removal?

Now that they made their mind that I lied previously eventhough, It was an honest mistake, how should answer to that question now??Yes or No
I am very confused...
your imput is appreciated...

Question Number 23 reads Exactly: "Have you ever given a false or misleading information to any US official government while applying for any immigration benefit....." In your case, you sought immigration benefit by filing N-400. Your N-400 was denied because USCIS believed you provided misleading information by hiding your arrest. Whether you made correction or not is not important becuase whatever corrections you made USCIS didn't accept it...

Now if you answer no to that question, you will making the same mistake as you did in the first place with the arrest....Now you have to disclose both the arrest and the misleading on which your case was denied. I strongly believe that you will be ok...if you have clean record for the last five years....

My understanding in your original application, you answered no the question, "Have you ever been arrested?" even though
you had an arrest.
If you are in the US on an immigrant Visa whatever category, whenever you get arrested by the police, your information is automatically with the FBI and the USCIS. So when you filed your N-400, the Interviewing Officer had a copy of your arrest in
your file and your application with no to the question have you ever got arrested.

When you showed up for interview, if you initiated a request that you wanted to make corrections on the record before the
officer said anything and told him abouth the arrest and gave him the paperwork and he any way denied...he had the authority to do that, but he was not lenient to you.

But if the officer asked you do you wanna make corrections to the record, and you told him that you once got arrested, then
that is merely confession to your misleading info...

In each case, your case was denied based on misleading info...and question 23 in my opinion in Yes...

and know this time very tough for you...thinking hard...but for those of us who writing it is easy...I apoligize in advance
if anything I writed is offensive...I don't mean it...

I respectfully disagree that he should answer yes to this question. By implication of this question, it is asking if you intentionally lied to gain a benefit. The OP corrected his error at the interview which is perfectly ok within the process. The application and its review is not finalized until the end of the interview and so in this case, the OP did not lie on his application because the factual info was corrected in time. If I was in kader's position, I would answer this question with a no and I would explain at the interview, only if necessary (i.e., if questioned about it), that I had completely forgotten about the incident at the time of first application but remembered in time and corrected at the interview but was denied saying I had lied on the app. Any rational IO will see that silliness of the original judgment and should ok it this time assuming there are no other compelling reasons to deny.

Question Number 23 reads Exactly: "Have you ever given a false or misleading information to any US official government while applying for any immigration benefit....." In your case, you sought immigration benefit by filing N-400. Your N-400 was denied because USCIS believed you provided misleading information by hiding your arrest. Whether you made correction or not is not important becuase whatever corrections you made USCIS didn't accept it...

Now if you answer no to that question, you will making the same mistake as you did in the first place with the arrest....Now you have to disclose both the arrest and the misleading on which your case was denied. I strongly believe that you will be ok...if you have clean record for the last five years....

My understanding in your original application, you answered no the question, "Have you ever been arrested?" even though
you had an arrest.
If you are in the US on an immigrant Visa whatever category, whenever you get arrested by the police, your information is automatically with the FBI and the USCIS. So when you filed your N-400, the Interviewing Officer had a copy of your arrest in
your file and your application with no to the question have you ever got arrested.

When you showed up for interview, if you initiated a request that you wanted to make corrections on the record before the
officer said anything and told him abouth the arrest and gave him the paperwork and he any way denied...he had the authority to do that, but he was not lenient to you.

But if the officer asked you do you wanna make corrections to the record, and you told him that you once got arrested, then
that is merely confession to your misleading info...

In each case, your case was denied based on misleading info...and question 23 in my opinion in Yes...

and know this time very tough for you...thinking hard...but for those of us who writing it is easy...I apoligize in advance
if anything I writed is offensive...I don't mean it...

Faysal,

I want to clarify something.
If you say so what should I think about my case??.
I did my N400 application and I didn´t include traffic citation ( red light) and parking ticket. I didn´t include because I called to Customer Service and they told me that.
So, according to your opinion, If I say my traffic citation and parking ticket in the interview are they going to denie my citizenship or could I do anyway???. Because I didn´t lie, i follow customer service instructions.

Thanks