How long to get SSN after EAD

indone

Registered Users (C)
Is there anyone who has received SSN based on EAD after May 2006 . How long does it take. Is it 6 weeks? Any one from Florida, Georgia, Texas.

Honestly, it's a pain in CO. They told me 4 weeks, which is only kind of right, because yesterday it was 4 weeks and I only got a letter stating that it will be sent to me in 2 weeks. I went there to at least get the number. Thought it would be enough for my employer. They said, no they need the actual card. Great. So now I have to wait two more weeks until I can start working, and we need the money really bad right now.

Sorry about the rant, I just found out about it half an hour ago. Feeling slightly better now. Slightly. :)

To Patty

Sorry to hear the zigzag process of getting the employment permit done! Even the SSN will take that long? I am a little curious everyday what everybody do while they are waiting at home~ For me, I am on line, preparing meals, watching TV shows,reading, sleeping, sometimes painting watercolors and wondering...

Security is a high priority there, that's my only explanation. They do background checks and tests with you and all that.
It still sucks. We are going to try to get me a military dependent ID today, because that will have my social on it, and will be a picture ID.
Hope that that's enough for them.

Hi guys,

a quick question. I already have a SS number and the card ( on the card it says that I can work only with USCIS authorization), would I need to go get another SS card or do I just use my EAD as authorization and keep the old card? what's the process for that anyways??

I guess things have changed. I went to get my ssn as an F1 and I only needed to show a letter from my school saying that I got an on-campus job, my I-20 and passport. I got the number right away and received the card within a week.

then when I went to change my last name they needed to see all those documents again, as well as my marriage certificate.

Patty,
You do not need to have your SSN to get your military ID card. If the person in charge told you so...reminds me another one that did not know but my husband give him a speech, by law (what in military works is different as civilian) does not matter...in the system they will input any random digit until you get your SSN and then a new military ID card should be issue.
Actually the military ID card was my first goverment ID that I had after we married.

Payala,
On the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification s/he must review your original documents and one of them should be from list C which is your SSN card without the words "not valid for employment", unless the employee has a birth certificate abroad, a US citizen card, a US resident card and they put the I-197 which they do not longer issue or another employment authorization document different as the one listed in List A. Since the I-9 is not only for residents or US citizens...they are several documents that you can choose to show. Actually if you have your DL you can show that and your SSN card.
Did your employer never check up your documents?

Good luck,

Thanks Cherr, I will try that. I just called my employer again and she said that all she needs is the Social Security CARD. Military ID, DL... nothing else will work. So I will have to wait 2 more weeks until I can start working. :(

But thanks for your advice. :)

CHerr...
I did bring all my documents with me, including my SS card and I'm pretty sure that they payrol lady only wanted to see my license and EAD card.

So the verdict is….

Even with an EAD … you don’t get a SSN till 6 weeks….and without a SSN…you can’t open an account..so even if you want to work they won't let you work..and even if you worked you can't put the money in an account….and .without an account you can’t get a decent credit card…..and without a credit card you can’t buy a car…and in order to get a drivers license you need prove that you can drive a car…and for that you need to have a car…but then you can’t buy a car because you don’t have credit card…and you don’t have a credit card because you don’t have a SSN….

So simple….I just got educated. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
pvkby said:
Hi guys,

a quick question. I already have a SS number and the card ( on the card it says that I can work only with USCIS authorization), would I need to go get another SS card or do I just use my EAD as authorization and keep the old card? what's the process for that anyways??

I have the same case of yours. I called SS Hotline and they said the number would be the same. We just need to go to the nearest SS office and change the card.

indone said:
So the verdict is….

Even with an EAD … you don’t get a SSN till 6 weeks….and without a SSN…you can’t open an account..so even if you want to work they won't let you work..and even if you worked you can't put the money in an account….and .without an account you can’t get a decent credit card…..and without a credit card you can’t buy a car…and in order to get a drivers license you need prove that you can drive a car…and for that you need to have a car…but then you can’t buy a car because you don’t have credit card…and you don’t have a credit card because you don’t have a SSN….

So simple….I just got educated. :(

Indone,
that's worst case scenario. :) Looks like I almost got that.
BUT: It doesn't necessarily have to be that bad. First of all, in some cities you get the card after 2 or 3 weeks. Second, most employers will let you work with just the number, without having to see the card. Some will even let you work showing them your EAD and the letter that you applied for a number.
And most banks will let you open an account with just the number.

Hang in there. It's a weary process, but it will work out in the end.

catus&stone said:
I have the same case of yours. I called SS Hotline and they said the number would be the same. We just need to go to the nearest SS office and change the card.

I decided not to get one and wait till I become a USC, I remember the guy saying something that you can only get like 4 cards in your life time, I've gotten 2 already so I wanna keep my other 2 just in case I missplace it or something.

patty579..Did you see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/hiring.htm maybe you should take a copy when you join...and claim compensation for sitting at home :D
The banks closest to where I stay ( Sun Trust, Wachovia, Wackulla) refused to open accounts without SSN.My international credit/debit card is doing fine.
As for license the DMV said 'You can drive on your international permit...but if you pick up a job or get employed then you have 30 days to get a license of the state'. That suits me fine...but where will they send the ticket if they catch me?

payala said:
I decided not to get one and wait till I become a USC, I remember the guy saying something that you can only get like 4 cards in your life time, I've gotten 2 already so I wanna keep my other 2 just in case I missplace it or something.
Here's what it says on the SSN website Q & A http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=251

"However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in noncitizen status that require card updates may not count toward these limits"

cherr1980 said:
Interesting...every employer it's so different.

Yeah no military ID will work for I-9, sorry Patty.
Cherr, thanks so much for pointing out I-9, I just read the instructions and actually, the military dependent ID plus my iEAD is enough according to I-9.

But then, it's weird, because the Social Security Card is only on the C-List of verifications, whereas my iEAD is on the A-List!
I really don't know how my employer works yet, it's so odd!!

I called her again yesterday, telling her that I just received a military dependent card and then she said, ok: That, a stamped passport and iEAD and you can start next Monday. Oh well. Next Monday is still better than Monday in two weeks! :)

indone said:
patty579..Did you see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/hiring.htm maybe you should take a copy when you join...and claim compensation for sitting at home :D
The banks closest to where I stay ( Sun Trust, Wachovia, Wackulla) refused to open accounts without SSN.My international credit/debit card is doing fine.
As for license the DMV said 'You can drive on your international permit...but if you pick up a job or get employed then you have 30 days to get a license of the state'. That suits me fine...but where will they send the ticket if they catch me?
You know what, I'm gonna print that out... Just in case that if I bring all those documents next Monday and she still hesitates!!

As for the banks.. to be added to my husband's account, our bank required my Social, two US IDs, my passport and our marriage certificate because my passport is still in my maiden name.

We waited two hours in line at the DMV yesterday. Basically I had to bring everything of the above and since I surrendered my German Driver's License, I didn't have to take a test. They took my picture and fingerprint, and in a week I will get my US Driver's license!

Well, I wish you good luck and great patience, because that is would you will need most!! Hang in there! :)