How long may I have to wait?

alexgn

Registered Users (C)
Recently, my uncle received a green card. As I understood, he can’t sponsor me on a family based visa. Once he becomes a citizen of US, then he can sponsor my parent, who in turn, can sponsor me as a child, not needing to wait for 5 years to be eligible to become a citizen. It will be many years before I will be able to fill an application for a family based visa. In addition, between now and some time in the future, the law of immigration in the US can change. Based on the current rules, what is the likely time I may have to wait?

My uncle was born in Kazakhstan; my Mom was born in China (she’s my uncle’s sister). I was born in Uzbekistan.

Thanks!

Once he becomes a citizen of US, then he can sponsor my parent, who in turn, can sponsor me as a child, not needing to wait for 5 years to be eligible to become a citizen. It will be many years before I will be able to fill an application for a family based visa. In addition, between now and some time in the future, the law of immigration in the US can change. Based on the current rules, what is the likely time I may have to wait?

Let's see. Your uncle needs to wait five years to become a citizen. Your Mother then falls under FB4 China, which is currently an 11 year wait. She files for you under FB2B Rest of World which is eight years. So we're looking at 24 years before you get your GC.

I'd look at other means.

Let's see. Your uncle needs to wait five years to become a citizen. Your Mother then falls under FB4 China, which is currently an 11 year wait. She files for you under FB2B Rest of World which is eight years. So we're looking at 24 years before you get your GC.

I'd look at other means.

Both of her parents - my grandparents - were born in Kazakhstan. It's only her who was born in China. Can she claim her parents citizenship to avoid the backlog, which is similar to the DV Lottery rules?

I am not sure what FB2B is. The immigration process to US is coded in peculiar way. :)

Thanks!

Both of her parents - my grandparents - were born in Kazakhstan. It's only her who was born in China. Can she claim her parents citizenship to avoid the backlog, which is similar to the DV Lottery rules?

You cannot claim your parent's country of birth except under very rare circumstances. She could claim her husband's country of birth if she's married. Of course, that route changes her from FB4 China to FB4 Rest of World, which saves about 8 months. Big deal.

I am not sure what FB2B is. The immigration process to US is coded in peculiar way.

Sorry, FB2B is the unmarried children of Permanent Residents. That's one thing I forgot to mention; not only will you have to wait 24 years, you cannot get married for 24 years either.