How long it takes after AOS Interview ?

EAD Renewal

You fill out an I765 (application for employment authorization) and send it to your district office with the appropriate fee and supporting documents.

HTH

Waiting too

Originally posted by SharonM
Still waiting, approaching 9 months.

What office did u apply and are you on a K-1 visa? My wife (K-1) appeared for her AOS interview in Chicago on May 1. Still waiting for security checks to clear. Not sure who to contact.

Seattle office

Hello,

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for this bulletin board. I have been "lurking" for sometime and thought it was finally time for me to contribute. We filed the adjustment of status paperwork (based on marriage) to the local Seattle office. Here is the timeline:

Filed I-130/I-485/I-765: 5/20/02 (hand delivered)
Fingerprints: 7/19/02
EAD Approved: 8/28/02
AOS Interview: 3/18/03
Filed second I-765 (online): 6/11/03
Second EAD approved: 8/16/03 (received on 8/27/03)
AOS approved: 9/11/03

Not sure when the card will arrive. The Seattle office does not appear to give out receipt numbers.

Cheers

NYC

I am living in NYC. So I filed my i-485 on July 2001 based my husband in the NYC and got finger printer on March 2003 and interview on May 13, 2003, pending since then. I thought I was the only one that get the pending because of security background check. Now I know you guys are the same as I . Is there anyone who get clear and get his or her passport stamps in NY? If there is lucky guy, please let me know how many month you were waiting. Thanks a lot.

Hi!
My case is little different, so i'm not gonna post the dates, since i don't even remember them.
Got married in '96, applied for AOS, had the interview, had problems since i was on J-1, filed the waiver, the waiver was approved 2002, and last month received a letter telling me that my case has been approved for permanent residency and i'll receive my card in the mail in the next 9 to 12 months, and if i need a proof i should go to local office to stamp my passport. The question is, they will give me the temporary card or the permanent one?
I do have another few questions, in this time my EOD will expire, should I renew it? Can i travel with the stamp only without file for a Adv. Par.? last time i travelled with adv. par. they give hard in the way back. Any of you heard somebody to had problems to travel with the stamp only?
Thanx and good luck on your cases.

Gogu- you have a lot of questions..:)
Since your case is approved and you have the approval letter in hand, just go to the local office and get your passport stamped.
They will put the I-551 stamp on it.

a) There is nothing called temporart card. In 3-12 months you will get the conditional Green card valid for 2 yrs..

b) If you get the passport stamped, EAD has no meaning left and is useless. They will take the EAD when they stamp the passport.

c) Once the passport is stamped, AP has no meaning also and its not required. You are free to enter US.
I have travelled just on stamp also in Past. The Stamp is valid for 1 year.

goodluck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your answer. I appreciated taking your time and answered my questions!
I think i'm confused with the terms about the GC. - temporary instead of conditional.
A friend of mine she just went to the interview and they give her the stamp on the passport and they said she will receive her conditional green card that is good for two years.
Sorry about messing up the terms, i was assuming since is only for two years is temporary.
Thank you again!
Cheers,
Gogu

It is approaching a year for us :( November 19th was our interview last year, we were approved on December 26th though as we had to send in some additional documents.

Waiting and waiting. Reading other boards though, it seems some others in our boat went down to their office and they were approved, the offices just hadn't gotten around to sending out the welcome letters.

I'm not going to stress it until after Christmas when my EAD runs out.

After 30 months of waiting, my AOS application (based on marriage to USC) finally got approved in Nov. 2003.

Timelines:

I-130/485 filed in May 2001,
Fingerprinted: 11/2002, 01/2003
Interviewed:03/2003
Police clearance submitted: 04/2003(fingerprint unclassifiable)
Approved: Nov. 2003.

Hope this information may help those who are going through the same process.

Little Fish

Still pending CIA/FBI Clearance 7.5 months after interview at Newark, NJ

After seven and half months of interview at Newark, NJ, still pending FBI/CIA clearance

To: Sunbaolu

Originally posted by sunhaolu
:( Still waiting for the "CIA/FBI clearance". 7 months passed after AOS interview. Does anyone have a timeline for how long those "clearance" might take?:confused:

Is your case family-based or employment-based?
I can only assume the former because the thread is listed under "Family Based Green Cards-Through Marriage or a Relative".

My case is employment-based.

FINALLY!

My case is approved today! (Got the letter)

My parents are US citizens. (So I'm family based. Transfered from Green card holders' unmarried child to US citizens' married child).

Submit I-485 on 7/2002
Fingerprint on 9/2002
EAD on 10/25/2002
AOS interview on 12/10/2002
EAD renew sent on 9/10/2003 - wasted money, no reply yet :(
AOS approve letter today (12/3/2003)

CHEERS!

It's Newark, NJ!

To: sunhaolu

I could not understand why your parents did not apply for green card for you concurrently when they filed theirs at least 6 or 7 years ago ? Anyway, all the roads to ROMA

They did! My priority date is 12/1995.

After they became US citizens, I got married and transfered petition class but still used the same priority date.

If you mean why they did not apply for together with themselves. It's because I'm over 21 years old at that time :(