How long for San Jose INS to cash the cheques?

luckyyy

Registered Users (C)
We heard that San Jose INS office received an overwhelming amount of applications before April 30, 2004 (right before the fees went up) and this is the reason that slows them down even more!

We submitted our marriage based I-485 on June 3, 2004 and the cheques haven't been cashed yet. :confused:

I looked thru the forum and found that it may vary from two weeks to one month for them to cash the cheques. But all the cases were from last year (2003).

Anyone who filed the applications after April 30, 2004 knows how long for them for cash the cheques?

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks, Baig

Thank you so much for sharing your info with me. :)

I'll post the status of our application as others did in this forum. If you don't mind, please share your timeline with me too. :D

cheques cashed!

It's earlier than we expected. :D

BTW, I heard that the receipt number is stamped on the back of each cashed cheque. Does anyone know how to tell what is the receipt number (since there are quite a few sets of digits)? The reason to ask this is before we receive the receipt number in mail we could have something to check online status. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No Receipt in mail yet

luckky,
I have not received anything in mail yet. I'll post as soon as I have something. I paid the processing fee by banker's cheque, so I don't have a copy of the cashed banker's cheque in order for me to retrieve the receipt number.

Baig .

Check Cashed

Just checked my bank account. They cashed my check.

I put my file in the drop box on June 14th at San Jose.

Letter to pick up EAD

I received a letter for EAD pick up

Here are the dates

Forms Submitted: May 6, 2004
Cheques cashed: June 4, 2004
EAD pickup date: July 16, 2004

Thanks a lot, Baig

Your post are very much appreciated! :)

It looks like it'd take approximately 2 months to receive the receipt notice. I guess that we would have to wait with patience until early August. Will post timeline too once we receive something. ;)

oh one more question

It looks to me that there will be ONE receipt number for both I-765 (EAD) and I-485, is that right? So when this number is used to check case status online, it would show the status for both?

It seems that I always have lots of questions... :D

Response received

Yesterday I received the response from San Jose office. Here are the timelines.

Dropped in dropbox: 6/14/04
Cheque cashed: 6/26/04
EAD pickup date: 7/23/04
Travel document pickup: 7/23/04

I received mine too yesterday!

We can't believe that we could receive the response this fast. :D
Here is the timeline:

Application submitted: 6/3/2004
Cheques cashed: 6/22/2004
Receipt & Notice letter for EAD received: 7/7/2004
Date to pick up EAD: 7/14/2004

finger print notice?

Luckky or romit,
have u guys received finger print notice from san jose offfice yet?. I haven't received mine yet. Also luckky.. How was your EAD pick process experience.

Thanks

Finger Print Notice

Finger print notice just came yesterday. It is little bit confusing however. It does not have any number to call for appointment. It just says, come within two weeks in the Application support center in San Jose.

Fingerprint

Hoping, they are not going to say I don't have appointment. I am going tomorrow. Let's see.

Note: I called NSC but they were helpless because they had no clue about this either.

my experience to pick up EAD

i arrived san jose office 30 minutes earlier. i showed my appointment letter (and my drivers license) to the guard and entered the building after the security check.

first got into the line to get a ticket number (the officer wrote the number on the appointment letter) and was told to go to window 7 to drop the letter.

i waited about 5 minutes and was called to window 7 to take picture and fingerprint. was asked to wait again.

after another 5 minutes, the EAD was ready for me to pick up.

very simple experience. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
baig

i hope my reply isn't too late for you (just remembered that your EAD pickup date is today).

BTW, i'm a little bit confused. :confused: what is finger print notice? Is it different from the EAD appointment notice?

I thought the whole application process would be:

1. Submit applications;
2. Cheques cashed;
3. EAD/Travel Document pick up;
4. Interview notice;
5. Interview;
6. FBI background check;
7. Green card.

So the finger print notice means there is another step 3.5 between step 3 and step 4?

:confused: