How long can I stay in US legally

vijayk

Hi:
I came to US on A company H1B.After one month B company filed new h1B for me .since my A company did not give me pay cheque, my B company refered visa stamping at chennai consulate.my B company employer is telling that if my visa is approved ,I\'ve to go chennai consulate for visa stamping with in 180 days from the date of my entry in US.Is there any rule like this?Do I\'ve to go or if my old h1B is valid can I stay back.Is there any solution to stay back in USA legally with my old H1b visa(my I94 and visa are valid til Feb 2004).Will I face any problems at chennai consulate if I go for stamping

B maybe right

The 180 days come from the out of status limit - eligible for 3yr/10yr ban by INS.
If A did not pay you anything, then you are considered out of status from day 1. Company B does not want INS to unnecessarily trouble you when you go for your visa next time (GC, spouse, h1 extension).
It will be better to get the stamp done in chennai consulate. Of course the standard requirements for a H1 stamping is still there and you have to oblige them.