• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How long am I given to enter the US?

Bobsbees

Registered Users (C)
I have my interview in Sydney in March. Assuming that I am given an entry visa what is the maximum time that I can wait before traveling to the US to take up residence? Also, I plan only to travel to the US to take up residence before returning to Australia to wind up my affairs here. How long do I need to remain in the US before being able to leave again?
Thanks in advance
Bob

Hi Bob it depends on how long your medicals are valid for there will be a date on your visa.

I have my interview in Sydney in March. Assuming that I am given an entry visa what is the maximum time that I can wait before traveling to the US to take up residence? Also, I plan only to travel to the US to take up residence before returning to Australia to wind up my affairs here. How long do I need to remain in the US before being able to leave again?
Thanks in advance
Bob

Thanks. I would have prefered to leave it for a year but that would be pushing my luck.
Bob

Visas are valid for a maximum of 6 months, sometimes less if your medical will expire, so no you can't do that. But there is no minimum stay after arrival so you can basically catch the next flight out if you want. Just make sure whoever will be receiving your green card/SS card is trustworthy :) . You can technically stay out for a year after that, but bear in mind a stay out of longer than 6 months is likely to subject you to increased scrutiny at the border when you return and will mean a reset to the 5 years counted for naturalization.

Visas are valid for a maximum of 6 months, sometimes less if your medical will expire, so no you can't do that. But there is no minimum stay after arrival so you can basically catch the next flight out if you want. Just make sure whoever will be receiving your green card/SS card is trustworthy :) . You can technically stay out for a year after that, but bear in mind a stay out of longer than 6 months is likely to subject you to increased scrutiny at the border when you return and will mean a reset to the 5 years counted for naturalization.

How the borders or immigration can recognize that how long a person have stayed out side of usa ? Coz at the borders they didnt stamp the exit on the passports. Also they didnt register the exit date on the system !

How the borders or immigration can recognize that how long a person have stayed out side of usa ? Coz at the borders they didnt stamp the exit on the passports. Also they didnt register the exit date on the system !

You think they don't know who travels when through their borders just because they didn't stamp your passport? Are you not aware that the airlines take your passport info and enter it into the system when you travel to or from the US? I'm afraid you underestimate DHS :D Trust me, it's on their system. If you look on the web there is a photo of someone's passport with an "advised residency requirements" warning from CBP because they stayed out 5 months 29 days... One day short of the 6 months past which they grill you. Too cute for that particular border officer's comfort I guess!

You think they don't know who travels when through their borders just because they didn't stamp your passport? Are you not aware that the airlines take your passport info and enter it into the system when you travel to or from the US? I'm afraid you underestimate DHS :D Trust me, it's on their system. If you look on the web there is a photo of someone's passport with an "advised residency requirements" warning from CBP because they stayed out 5 months 29 days... One day short of the 6 months past which they grill you. Too cute for that particular border officer's comfort I guess!

Interesting info .. thanks for sharing it .
I am not underestimating anybody :) but i wonder that they leave it to the airlines companies !
Any way, i think that who realy need to keep his GC have to stay in US and build up his new life there.

Is it possible to ask for visa extension ( 6 month more ) even if I will redo the medical examinations and resend it again
Need someone to tell me if it is possible or not

Is it possible to ask for visa extension ( 6 month more ) even if I will redo the medical examinations and resend it again
Need someone to tell me if it is possible or not

No, it's not possible to request a visa extension. You either use it within it's validity period or your loose the visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting info .. thanks for sharing it .
I am not underestimating anybody :) but i wonder that they leave it to the airlines companies !
Any way, i think that who realy need to keep his GC have to stay in US and build up his new life there.

The airlines will lose permission to fly to the US if they don't comply, and they get huge fines if they allow someone to fly without a valid visa etc. The system works well for them - I've been at an airline counter flying to the US where they had someone with the same name as someone on the terrorist list and there was a big deal while they sorted out if it was the same person to decide whether to refuse boarding or not. It also gets around the possibility of people trying to beat the system by using say a different passport as your visa or green card number is also entered in the system and that will be associated with your identity rather than just a stamp in a passport.

Why not, they must be flexible. I will try

No, they "must" not anything I'm afraid.., for a normal immigrant visa you can get an extension IF you have a very good reason but for DV there is NO extension. If you need another 6 months your only option is to fly to the US, activate your green card, go home and do whatever you need to then go back. They will not extend your date and if your visa expires without being validated by an entry stamp it is worthless.

Why not, they must be flexible. I will try

And why must they be? It's not like they owe you anything in the first place. You can try all you like, but I guarantee you, you will not get an extension. They do understand it's not an easy decision for someone to practically pack up all of their belongs and transition into life in another country within a typical 6 month window and they've made arrangements to accommodate people as such:
- Your visa is becomes a valid ''GC' (upon endorsement at the POE) and can be used in place of the plastic GC for up to 1 year, that means you come in activate your LPR status and fly out the very next day if you need to without having to wait for the plastic GC.
- A new immigrant is allowed to come into the country and leave almost immediately for his home country for up to 1 year to go tie-up loose ends without needing to apply for a re-entry permit, and such an immigrant will not be considered to have abandoned their residency.
- If the immigrant needs to stay back for more than 1 year, there's provision to apply for a re-entry permit which allows you to stay away for up to 2 years without the fear of being considered to have abandoned your PR status.