How Do U know u are in NAME CHECK?

sky88

Registered Users (C)
Dear all..

Can someone tell me how can I find out if I am in the NAME CHECK stage? Or we won't know until it says so in our Online Status portfolio? :confused:

Or people that "names" are fine will not be stuck in NAMECHECK and breeze through it and get an approval?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I had to bump this thread. I would just like to know too if it will reflect in the case status online portfolio if your case is currently undergoing FBI name check?

Something like...

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: FBI name check

Called the USCIS Customer Service AGAIN, and this guy told me my case hasn't been cleared for background check.

I asked him if this includes the NAME CHECK as well? He assumed 'YES'.

I asked him does this mean that my case is with the FBI? He assumed "YES"!

I asked is there anyway we can tell how long this will take (playing dumb)....and his answer was....."NO!"

So depressing to know that my case is stuck with the FBI...which will take forever just like everyone else!

Sigh...sad

Hi Labour_wait,
Congrats that your NC is cleared. You got the rfe on the 485 right after the NC clearance. I am wondering that the NC clearance is mandatory for any activity on the 485, as in your case.
Thanks in advance, if anybody knows about it

Take a infopass and visit the local USCIS. That's how I found out I was stcuk in the name check a couple of years ago.

Good luck

Given the fact that i submitted my 486 in May, I am not sure how i can make a strong case by writing to First Lady, congressman, etc? Hmmm..but i waited 5 years all together! :p

my stupid question is: How long do we have to be stuck in the NAME CHECK/BACKGROUND CHECK b4 it's justifiable for us to write to the VIPs?

Dindin...having to know ur case is stuck in namecheck, did u try to do anything to speed that up? just curious?

thanks all...for the "emotional support". No one understand the frustrations more than u all..

If you do extensive search through these forums you will find that you have a stronger case if your case is outside of the processing times.

But writing to the First Lady explaining your situation will probably trigger the FBI to reply anyway so good luck!

It is common for CIS to give you the "Security Checks pending" reply just to get you off their back...

IMHO you are not considered stuck in name check yet... Most checks are completed within the USCIS processing times!

Matlab.

What triggers name check.....!!!!

Hi Gurus,

I wonder, what is the criteria for some to be stuck in name check. Is it
1random 2 gender or people with families are likely not to get it.

I still am wondering, if the NC has to be cleared before, the 485 gets processed. As I have friend who is stuck in NC since 2004 and there is no activity on his 485. Is the opposite true, that there are LUD on 485 but IO says NC pending :mad:.

For those of you who are not aware:

The CIS Security Background Check Process

One of the most controversial aspects of CIS processing involves the often invoked excuse that a particular application or petition cannot be adjudicated "due to incomplete background security checks." Notwithstanding the fact that the State Department routinely completes virtually all required security background checks within fifteen days, the CIS maintains that a substantial percentage of the cases they handle cannot be completed due to missing "background security checks.

In late 2005, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Homeland Security issued a report on the efficiency of the CIS with respect to these types of checks. Among the more interesting findings were the following:

At page17:

“DHS could do more to coordinate screening between its components. For example, USCIS and ICE disagree about the cost-benefit of holding a case until the FBI finalizes a pending response to name check hits, which takes over six months for one percent of cases.” [Emphasis added]

At page 24

“Pending FBI name checks. Unlike other USCIS checks that return results within a few days at most, the FBI name check takes more than a month to complete for six percent of submissions. For one percent, the FBI takes more than six months to compile the hit information and verify that the initial hit matches the identity of the applicant. In December 2002, USCIS (then INS) resubmitted 2.4 million applicant names for expanded checks,30 almost double the number USCIS typically submits in a year’s time. As of February 2005, USCIS reported 171,428 FBI name checks pending, including approximately 8,500 remaining from the December 2002 rerun. USCIS may pay the FBI double to “expedite” up to a few hundred FBI name checks per month. USCIS restricts these requests to certain cases, such as when the alien is about to become ineligible due to age, the applicant files writ of mandamus lawsuits to compel USCIS to complete adjudication, or other humanitarian factors. The “expedite” requests are insufficient to clear the backlog of FBI name checks.” [Emphasis added]

. . .

“Inconclusive results from checks and referrals. Senior officials and staff said that security checks and supplementary information from FBI, ICE, or other record owners can sometimes be vague, inconclusive, or difficult to relate to the case adjudication. At one district office, staff said they shelved cases with complete, positive FBI name check responses for months, pending guidance on how to adjudicate them.” [Emphasis added]

. . .

“Legally inapplicable security check results. In a 2003 audit, the DOJ OIG reported that INS could not deny the petition of an alien otherwise eligible for temporary worker benefits based on an IBIS hit.31 Unlike the adjudicative standards in the Immigration and Nationality Act for most benefits, the standards for adjudicating employment- and family-based petitions require USCIS to evaluate only the authenticity of the employment offer or family relationship, without regard to whether the person evokes security concerns. These employment- and family-based petitions serve simply to document the relationship, but they enable approved aliens to apply for other benefits such as legal permanent residence and visas from the Department of State. Nevertheless, USCIS would prefer not to approve any petition when security concerns have been identified. USCIS sometimes withholds adjudication through an informal abeyance; 8 C.F.R. § 103.2(b)(18) does not apply unless the investigation relates to the pending application.”

This last comment is cause for particular concern. Even though the CIS has no legal basis for doing so, they follow a practice of not adjudicating applications that do not require background security checks until the actually complete background security checks for them.

The CIS published a memorandum, describing which applications and petitions require security checks. They have also published another memorandum, describing their criteria for expediting stalled FBI name checks.

Copyright© 2007 The Gotcher Law Group, PC - All Rights Reserved

sail1

There are many options like contacting senator, congressman, First Lady..... try all ways…...Good luck.
Labor_wait,

You mentioned in your signature that "NC Cleared Aug 9 2007 as per FBI" . How did you hear back from FBI? Did you write a letter to FBI or email them to inquire? Is there any means to check status with FBI?

Thanks,
Sunone

If you do extensive search through these forums you will find that you have a stronger case if your case is outside of the processing times.

But writing to the First Lady explaining your situation will probably trigger the FBI to reply anyway so good luck!

It is common for CIS to give you the "Security Checks pending" reply just to get you off their back...

IMHO you are not considered stuck in name check yet... Most checks are completed within the USCIS processing times!

Matlab.
Matlab,

You mentioned in your signature that :

"Name check initiated May 25th 2006 - per FBI letter
Name check cleared 08/23/2007"

How do you get this info from FBI?

Thanks.

Sorry, I had to bump this thread. I would just like to know too if it will reflect in the case status online portfolio if your case is currently undergoing FBI name check?

Something like...

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: FBI name check

No, the online status will never show anything regarding the checks. The only place to know is from a local USCIS officer or, if you're lucky, a USCIS national customer service rep.

Given the fact that i submitted my 486 in May, I am not sure how i can make a strong case by writing to First Lady, congressman, etc? Hmmm..but i waited 5 years all together! :p

my stupid question is: How long do we have to be stuck in the NAME CHECK/BACKGROUND CHECK b4 it's justifiable for us to write to the VIPs?

... ...
There is no absolute answer to this question. But generally 2 years is considered by many judges in known WOM cases as "excessive". Not saying that you can't write to those VIPs, but the chance of them paying attention to your case at this moment is quite slim given that so many people stuck in NC for much longer are also writing to them... In any case, I would't worry about being stuck in NC yet given that you filed your case only in May. It could take FBI a couple of months to get the NC clearance results back to USCIS.