How Do U know u are in NAME CHECK?

Madison04,
A naive question, what is WOM, why did they deny 485 and then approve it.
Its scary:eek:
I thought I 140 was the toughest... but in the process nothing is easy.

WOM-Writ of Mandamus

Basically setting up a case (law suit) against USCIS.

I believe this is it from what I've read here.

WOM-Writ of Mandamus

Basically setting up a case (law suit) against USCIS.

I believe this is it from what I've read here.

Writ of mandamu is an order from a judge to the USCIS or another administration to perform an action. In the case of adjucating a petition it would force USCIS to make a decision on your petition, wether it is to approve or deny. WOM does not guarantee an approval, it only guarantees you a decision.

Madison04,
A naive question, what is WOM, why did they deny 485 and then approve it.
Its scary:eek:
I thought I 140 was the toughest... but in the process nothing is easy.
My wife was stuck in namecheck for over 2 years, so we filed the WOM case to force USCIS to expedite the check when they still routinely did that as a result of federal lawsuits. After FBI cleared my wife's name, USCIS decided to do a 2nd round thorough review themselves of her case even though they had already interviewed her at the local office and her case was considered ready for adjudication. So we believed that was a sort of retaliation from USCIS in response to our lawsuit. They called her in for a 2nd interview and told her that they found a "voter's registration record" on my wife during their review of her case, which meant she did something that only a US citizen can do. Right after the interview, we sent in evidences showing that the so-called "voter's registration record" was actually an application number for driver's licence in MA. Nonetheless, they denied her case in two weeks and asked my wife to leave the country in 60 days. Since her case was at a local office, it was easier for us to fight. --Long story short, they accepted our new evidence (they never even looked at, not to mention to investigate, the new evidence we sent in before they denied her 485) and reopened and approved my wife's case right away.

The moral of the story: Yeah, never take anything for granted; you never know what the USCIS could do to make your life even more miserable.

Hi Madison04,
Thats a tough journey for 485, congrats it worked out. Which country are you from?
I was thinking 485 would be smooth journey but now I am waiting for the 2ndRFE and scared after reading all the stories. Great to get updates like your and the fight for the cause.... good job! Congrats

Madison04.....wow..that was really a tough experience and pain in the butt huh!

Once u and wife receive the cards, I bet u guys are going to have a big celebration and tour the world?

Will u ever ask urself...what's next? was it worth it? (just curious)

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

sjsd: I'm from mainland China.

sky7: What's next? I don't know. I kind of feel lost now. You know this whole GC thing has been the main thing that is pushing every one of us ahead. Once it is done, you lose the sense of purpose--at least for a while. Was it worth it? Well, I guess it depends on where you come from. I still love my own country and my root is there, but some ugly things are happening back there, which makes me feel that my choice to come to stay in US was right. On the other hand, I've already realized that, no matter how hard I try, there is no way that I could completely blend myself into this culture and I'll always be an alien here even after I become a US citizen. From that perspective, I don't know if the benefits I gained (esp. for our children when they grow up) were worth the sacrifice I paid...

Anyway, good luck guys. Hope you could get this thing done quickly and start to enjoy your life!

On the other hand, I've already realized that, no matter how hard I try, there is no way that I could completely blend myself into this culture and I'll always be an alien here even after I become a US citizen. From that perspective, I don't know if the benefits I gained (esp. for our children when they grow up) were worth the sacrifice I paid...

Even I haven't got my GC, I can totally relate to that feeling. No sense of belonging here!

I read and heard China is booming and many opportunities in China and Asia!!! At least, we don't have this stupid GC or immigration issue! In fact, many fresh grads going back to China for better jobs!. Maybe u want to look into it! If we can survive in the US (esp with this systematic abuse), no reason we can't survive back in our home country!

Anyway..good luck to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with you guys!!!
Real Question is - is this all worth it?

I am from India and with lots of oppurtunities out there and no legal issues-change as many jobs as you want,also these days pay is not bad.
Unless you have entrepreneurial capabalities and want to start something on your own- it might be easier in this country.

I agree that you can build lot of wealth-depending on what you do etc.
But as I see,for even people with not so bad salaries,they are always under pressure in terms of finance-home mortgage,child'rens education etc etc.

I think most people ,even if they think of going back-might not want to change things as one will have to start afresh back in their home country and there is always this feeling why disturb something that is going not so bad.

Guess its always a choice based on circumstance and will may make sense for some and not so much for others.
But this is something one needs to really sit and think clearly what ones wants to really do-gather some courage-think positively and do whatever will be best. Hope I could do that myself some day.