How do I know if I have a conditional GC?

Conditional GC's are valid for only 2 years, and the category would be CR_ (where the blank is a number from 1 to 7).

Thanks. One more question :)

Recently, I have filed for divorce, but legally I am still married. Can I apply for citizenship in June 2010, if my divorce is not finalizaed yet?

To be eligible for citizenship with the 3 year-marriage rule, the marriage must still be viable and healthy. A pending divorce automatically disqualifies you from that, so you have to wait until you are eligible with the regular 5-year rule.

One needs to be married and living with a US spouse in order to qualify under the 3 year rule. I would advise not going down the 3 year route if divorce is inevitable.

Recently, I have filed for divorce, but legally I am still married. Can I apply for citizenship in June 2010, if my divorce is not finalizaed yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
One needs to be married and living with a US spouse in order to qualify under the 3 year rule. I would advise going down the 3 year route if divorce is inevitable.

Triple,

You meant going the 5 year rule if divorce is inevitable? :confused:I suspect that's what you meant...:)

Thanks guys....I just met an attorney, and he said the same thing: I can not file for citizenship if divorce has been filed.

I guess I will bite the bullet, and wait for 2 more years :(

Long live the USA
Down with abusive spouses