How come the passport (book or card) do not have a "citizenship since" date?

WBH

Registered Users (C)
How come the passport (book or card) do not have a "citizenship since" date as green card has a
"residence since" date?

How come the passport (book or card) do not have a "citizenship since" date as green card has a "residence since" date?

Why do you care? It is just a bureaucratic oddity - note that the 2 documents are issued by 2 different departments.
I would think it is a good deal so that you are not discriminated against other citizens. No one can hassle you just by looking at the passport and knowing you are a naturalized citizen. I know they can do further checks, but still.
It is similar in many other situations, right? A citizen is a citizen and can live anywhere (even abroad), not so for PRs. A citizen is a citizen and need not file AR-11, not so for PRs. None of these (or other) facts change because of a certain date ... so why should they put it?

Once you're a citizen, it doesn't matter when you became a citizen for any benefits (except for natural-born benefits of being president and vice president), so the date is not considered important.

because it the eyes of the secretary of state, it does not matter. All they check is if you are a citizen. remember, SOS issues the passport, and not USCIS.

I guess because rights and benefits are same for new citizen and other naturalized citizen who became citizen in the past.

GC is a USCIS issued document where as a passport is a state department document. Aren't you happy that they are not discriminating citizens based on when someone became a citizen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone forgets here that passports (not just US but any country's passports) are used primarily as the travel documents. As such, they follow the guidelines and the layout set up by ICAO. This organisation decided to put only relevant important information in the passport, so that's why US passports look the way they do now.

GC is a USCIS issued document where as a passport is a state department document. Aren't you happy that they are not discriminating citizens based on when someone became a citizen?

Of course, but in case the certificate of naturalization is lost or N-600 was never filed, some may need a reminder
when they became a citizen.

Of course, but in case the certificate of naturalization is lost or N-600 was never filed, some may need a reminder when they became a citizen.

How does a natural born citizen know when they became citizen? Birth certificate. What do they do if they lose it? Well, get a new one.

How does this differ?

How to remind yourself? Set yourself a future mail to arrive on your birthday every year but telling you the date of naturalization.

Anyway, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If it is only to jog your memory, I think I have answered it.

WBH, many other countries do not have so many immigrants like the USA. If only 1% of your citizen population are those who naturalised, you would not want to allocate a special field, right? All passports looks quite similar in order to speed up the immigration clearance in any country because border agents already know where to look for a particular date. An extra date in the passport would probably confuse them, and also every border agent in every country you visit will know that you are not a native-born citizen of your country. Would anyone agree to be distinguished in this way just to remind themselves when they became US citizens? Plus, all native born US citizens would have two fields that show their DOB - a complete nonsense.