How can I withdraw the asylum application by myself?

mhwxl

I saw some webpages saying that the applicant can write a letter to USCIS office to withdraw asylum application.
It seems that there is no fixed format for this letter.
Currently, I have legal Status and am waiting for the result of my EB1-A application.
Meanwhile, I submitted my asylum application two years ago and there is no any sign to be interviewed by USCIS this year.
Does anybody know
1) if the applicant of asylum can withdraw the application in the USCIS office directly or I have to write a withdraw letter to do this.
2) How long this process will take?

I don’t know the specific answer but why would you withdraw it before you have another case finalized? Surely better to keep all options open? If you get a green card through another avenue you can then directly ask to have the case closed at uscis /they will do it anyway when you interview for the EB GC.

I can't have another case finalized if asylum application is not closed completely. For example, if I married with an American girl, and my I-140 is approved by the USCIS office, I have to completely close my asylum case before I file for I-485. Otherwise, my I-485 petition will be denied.

I don’t know the specific answer but why would you withdraw it before you have another case finalized? Surely better to keep all options open? If you get a green card through another avenue you can then directly ask to have the case closed at uscis /they will do it anyway when you interview for the EB GC.
Now, you get it?

No I don’t get it, because i know people (a good number on this forum) who have adjusted through diversity visa and only get their asylum cases closed once they have been approved for a DV green card.

If you don't close your asylum case completely, even though another green card was approved (I-140), your I-485 petition will be denied!!!!!

The successful DV adjustees on this forum have reported that the asylum case gets sent to the office dealing with their DV i485 adjustment application, and closed when the i485 adjustment interview resuits in approval for the DV adjustment. There is no point at which the i485 is denied because they haven’t closed the asylum case first. Anyway, you seem to feel it’s different in your case, so I’ll leave someone else to advise you.

@mhwxl
even though another green card was approved (I-140)
An approved I-140 allows you to file an adjustment of status (I-485) or go through consular processing to become a permanent resident (get a green card), an approved I-140 does not mean that your green card is approved.

I can confirm that closing your asylum case does not help with I-485 (in fact, only adds scrutiny).

@mhwxl

An approved I-140 allows you to file an adjustment of status (I-485) or go through consular processing to become a permanent resident (get a green card), an approved I-140 does not mean that your green card is approved.

I can confirm that closing your asylum case does not help with I-485 (in fact, only adds scrutiny).
really?

But my asylum lawyer told me if I didn't close the asylum case before filing I-485, it will be denied for sure.

@mhwxl

Because I didn't have the chance to be interviewed by any asylum officer in the USCIS office since I submitted my asylum application 3 years ago. So, I want to close the case when my I-140 was approved.

If you don't close your asylum case completely, even though another green card was approved (I-140), your I-485 petition will be denied!!!!!
But my asylum lawyer told me if I didn't close the asylum case before filing I-485, it will be denied for sure.
1. An approved I-140 IS NOT a GC filing or an approved GC.
2. A pending asylum application will not prevent a marriage or employment based GC application from being approved if the applicable requirements are met. Maybe you misunderstood what your lawyer said.

1. An approved I-140 IS NOT a GC filing or an approved GC.
2. A pending asylum application will not prevent a marriage or employment based GC application from being approved if the applicable requirements are met. Maybe you misunderstood what your lawyer said.
I felt that the lawyer intentionally mislead me to close the asylum case because if I asked him to close the case, I need to pay $5000 to him.
How black his heart is!

Yup! It costs nothing to close a case with USCIS. And the process does not involve rocket science. All it takes is a simple, straightforward letter, no special template.

Yup! It costs nothing to close a case with USCIS. And the process does not involve rocket science. All it takes is a simple, straightforward letter, no special template.
The lawyer's heart is black! He ruthlessly grabs the client's money in this manner!

The lawyer still keeps saying that if I don't listen to his advice to close the asylum case before filing I-485 for my employment based green card, it will necessarily be denied. He is an asshole.