• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How can I get new Social Security card?

KhunBee

Registered Users (C)
;)Hi,

I just entered to USA 3 weeks ago by using DV2007. I do have some question;

1. when will I get the new SS card? I do have one once I was a student here. Do I need to go to do anything at Social security office?

2. Can I go to apply for a job now? Do I need to wait for that new card? How can I prove that I am eligible for working here? by using passport?

Looking forward to reply,

Thank you,
Bee

Usually it arrives automaticly but you have already one, that's why you might not receive a new one.

You need to go to local SS office to update your social security records and card. Because you must have restrictions with existing one.

After updating SS card you can apply for a job, most of employers require a valid SSN..

Chokdee..!!!

;)Hi,

I just entered to USA 3 weeks ago by using DV2007. I do have some question;

1. when will I get the new SS card? I do have one once I was a student here. Do I need to go to do anything at Social security office?

2. Can I go to apply for a job now? Do I need to wait for that new card? How can I prove that I am eligible for working here? by using passport?

Looking forward to reply,

Thank you,
Bee

I still haven't updated my SSN card... It's been over 2 years since I got my GC... Just never got to it.

ONce you have your GC in your hand, that will be proof that you have the right to work here.

Thank you Dragonman,

So what document should I bring to SS office in order to update my status? just only my passport?

Thanks Dragonman. I went to SS office and did status updated. It's gonna take about 6 weeks to get social security card. but I still use the same number though.

As far as I know your SSN number will be the same, your card will be renewed. Now you can apply for a job, employer will check your SSN and get your updated status that allows you working in the US as a LPR..