• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How can i apply visa for my new baby after Sep 30?

Siamak

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I’m a winner of DV2007. My visa interview has been scheduled in Aug 20th, 2007. My wife is 6-mounth pregnant therefore my baby will be born after Sep. 30th which is the deadline for DV2007. We wouldn’t like to depart to U.S before our baby’s birth because of some important reasons.
Now I’d like to know whether we can get visa for our baby after Sep30th if I and my wife get visa. What about the GC for him?
Please advice

Hi,
I’m a winner of DV2007. My visa interview has been scheduled in Aug 20th, 2007. My wife is 6-mounth pregnant therefore my baby will be born after Sep. 30th which is the deadline for DV2007. We wouldn’t like to depart to U.S before our baby’s birth because of some important reasons.
Now I’d like to know whether we can get visa for our baby after Sep30th if I and my wife get visa. What about the GC for him?
Please advice

I'll advise that ur wife gets to the states as soon as she gets the visa to have the child. The U.S immigration system is kinda hard to understand and deal with, and having ur kid here in the states, will spare you going thru all the hassle trying to figure out how to get a visa for the baby. And hey, the baby would be a USC at birth if born in the states. So think about it.

siamak, thats the answer by johnkent, make sure your wife gets to the State before she gives birth, automatically your baby will become citizen.

Go before the baby is born

Yup, make sure your wife gives birth in the US.

If you come to the US before the baby is born, the baby will be a US citizen at birth. That will mean that he will even be eligible to become the president of the united states someday. That's the one right that is denied to naturalized citizens in the US.

Please note that the information provided in the following passage in light colors is wrong. Refer my next post for the correct info.

If by any chance you don't make it to the US before the baby is born, it will not be possible for you to get a green card for the baby immediately. You will have to first go there without the baby, and then apply to bring the baby to the US under the usual procedure that permenant residents (green card holders) use to reunite with family members. That means you will be put in the waiting list and you will be allowed to bring the baby only aftyer around 5 YEARS! Your baby will not be a baby when he comes to the US!

note - I am not a lawyear, and this is not professional advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Siamak, congratulations and all best wishes to you and your Wife!!! :)

Please RELAX – everything will be fine.
Until February 20 you and your Wife have plenty of TIME. I’m sure Consular officer will tell the same. Yours Wife and baby’s COMFORT and SAFETY ARE things much more IMPORTANT than any rush. Unless :) you both want your baby would born DURING transcontinental, I presume, flight (Hey what an adventure! I wonder will your baby have right to fly for free later for whole her/his life as air company bonus?)
1. Give birth to baby in any country which is comfortable and convenient for YOU.
2. Get baby’s Birth Certificate and make its Notarized Translation to English if you will need it.
3 (Optional). If you have a (travel) passport then make a record in a passport for your new born.
4. Have a nice and safe trip. After arrival to USA immigration officer will take a picture of your little one, will do all necessary paperwork for her/him and baby will get GC valid for 10 years.

7 years ago our friends (both on GC) for reasons went to home country to give a birth for kid. When they came back, kid got real CG right instantly in JFK airport. Kid still have this CG with picture of lovely and adorable face wearing terrible ;) baby hat :).
Though present time USCIS will send GC by mail. I guess it is OK with you.

GOOD LUCK and BE HAPPY! :D

Yup, make sure your wife gives birth in the US.

If by any chance you don't make it to the US before the baby is born, it will not be possible for you to get a green card for the baby immediately. You will have to first go there without the baby, and then apply to bring the baby to the US under the usual procedure that permenant residents (green card holders) use to reunite with family members. That means you will be put in the waiting list and you will be allowed to bring the baby only aftyer around 5 YEARS! Your baby will not be a baby when he comes to the US!

If on the other hand you come to the US before the baby is born, the baby will be a US citizen at birth. That will mean that he will even be eligible to become the president of the united states someday. That's the one right that is denied to naturalized citizens in the US.

note - I am not a lawyear, and this is not professional advice.

I think it's likely that the info I provided there is wrong

Here is a quote from the website of the US embassy in Sweden:

A child born after the issuance of an immigrant visa will not need a visa to accompany the parent provided they both travel within the period of validity of the visa. A copy of the child's long-form birth certificate showing the name of the parent must be carried for presentation to a U.S. immigration official at the port of entry, together with a valid travel document for the child.

But still you should (needless to say!) get information from an authoritative source. Inquire from the embassy or contact a lawyer.
Thanks to Entermate for the post above that made me look into this again.

Getting the child to the states aint the problem, but the issue is " What is the baby's status upon arrival in the States"

So it is not optional,
3 (Optional). If you have a (travel) passport then make a record in a passport for your new born.
child will need her/his own passport. I'm curious what a Long-Name Birth Certificate is?
a valid travel document for the child.
Mihiranga, :) thanks for Info.

About child status: It will be the same as parents have.

Thank you friends to take your time. I realy appreciate you especially Entermate and Mihiranga for giving the accurate and detailed information:)

just recently there was a case just like that here in this DV subforum.

Somebody arrived with a newborn (didn't have to have a visa for him - they got the DV visas before the kid was born). The kid was allowed into the country, however, the USCIS officer forgot to process the newborn, so the couple never got the GC for the kid. Took some action to actually get it.

But in any case - the visa is not required, just like it's written here:

Here is a quote from the website of the Swedish embassy:

A child born after the issuance of an immigrant visa will not need a visa to accompany the parent provided they both travel within the period of validity of the visa. A copy of the child's long-form birth certificate showing the name of the parent must be carried for presentation to a U.S. immigration official at the port of entry, together with a valid travel document for the child.

Very decent infor is coming out about the baby issue. However, while it may be an optional thing for Siamak - to wait after child's birth or rush to the states, if I were the one I will work towards getting into the US before baby is born and only pursue the latter as a last resort.

thanks entermate the ınformatıon u gıve 1 year ago make me so happy:D:D

Please RELAX – everything will be fine.
Until February 20 you and your Wife have plenty of TIME. I’m sure Consular officer will tell the same. Yours Wife and baby’s COMFORT and SAFETY ARE things much more IMPORTANT than any rush. Unless :) you both want your baby would born DURING transcontinental, I presume, flight (Hey what an adventure! I wonder will your baby have right to fly for free later for whole her/his life as air company bonus?)
1. Give birth to baby in any country which is comfortable and convenient for YOU.
2. Get baby’s Birth Certificate and make its Notarized Translation to English if you will need it.
4. Have a nice and safe trip. After arrival to USA immigration officer will take a picture of your little one, will do all necessary paperwork for her/him and baby will get GC valid for 10 years.

7 years ago our friends (both on GC) for reasons went to home country to give a birth for kid. When they came back, kid got real CG right instantly in JFK airport. Kid still have this CG with picture of lovely and adorable face wearing terrible ;) baby hat :).
Though present time USCIS will send GC by mail. I guess it is OK with you.

GOOD LUCK and BE HAPPY! :D

THANKS FOR SHARE UR EXPERICESSS:d:d