Houston Asylum seekers 2019

At what point can one say its application has entered the backlog?
I am in the same situation.

From USCIS website: STEP FOUR: Receive an interview notice.
As of January 29, 2018, the USCIS Asylum Division is scheduling asylum interviews in the following order of priority:*
  • First priority: Applications that were scheduled for an interview, but the interview had to be rescheduled at the applicant’s request or the needs of USCIS;
  • Second priority: Applications that have been pending 21 days or less since filing;
  • Third priority: All other pending affirmative asylum applications will be scheduled for interviews starting with newer filings and working back towards older filings.

How we see, new applicants could be in second priority only if the application have been pending for 21 days or less. I assume that if you got your biometric appointment after 21 days when you been assigned an A-number, you will be automatically placed in third priority. I believe that there is a program which sorting cases and placing in different priorities.

Last edited:
same here dude. My lawyer told me, same happens to her other clients. It seems uscis messed up again

Its serious.. My lawyer said they will be ready for me when they are ready. We should just be hopeful and start counting down to some relief..

Hi guys, how can one get admitted into school with pending Asylum?
In order to get into school, you need to have a status: Citizen, Green Card, Asylee/Refugee, non-immigrant visa, etc. Currently, you don't have a status. So, you can't get enrolled in school.

Are you 100% sure of this?
Check this out.

What Can I Do While My Asylum Application Is Pending?

You are allowed to enroll in a university and become a student but it will NOT grant you status. Meaning that if your asylum case gets denied you will be referred to the immigration court and possibly removal proceedings after that, while an asylum applicant who is on a student status will not be referred to the IJ or the removal. They can stay in the US as long as they maintain their status. You will not be eligible for OPT/CPT. You will not have a SEVIS record.

In order to get into school, you need to have a status: Citizen, Green Card, Asylee/Refugee, non-immigrant visa, etc. Currently, you don't have a status. So, you can't get enrolled in school.

I dont think so. Nowhere in the school application do they ask you for status but they might need a social security number though.

Well, all the schools I attended asked for status, for their records. They usually have a couple of options to choose from....but there is never an 'asylum pending' option. Citizen, Asylee/Refuge, GC are the common ones there. However, you can choose any status you want...they don't enforce it....they don't usually ask you to send 'papers' as proof. It only gets complicated if you are trying to apply to these schools where you are abroad.

Yesterday, I celebrated 16 years of living in America. I have attended 5+ schools of higher education during that time, even during my asylum years. So...I probably know what I am talking about....right?

Anyway, good luck!

Well, all the schools I attended asked for status, for their records. They usually have a couple of options to choose from....but there is never an 'asylum pending' option. Citizen, Asylee/Refuge, GC are the common ones there. However, you can choose any status you want...they don't enforce it....they don't usually ask you to send 'papers' as proof. It only gets complicated if you are trying to apply to these schools where you are abroad.

Yesterday, I celebrated 16 years of living in America. I have attended 5+ schools of higher education during that time, even during my asylum years. So...I probably know what I am talking about....right?

Anyway, good luck!
Well you forgot the most important thing. It depends on the state. California is generally very relaxed about it. But you need an ID. All these status options only play a role when ypu apply for financial aid.

Anyway, good luck!
During your Asylum years, did you pay your school fees as international school or local?
And was university of houston part of schools you attended?