HI Stamping in Islamabad, Pakistan

I recently applied for H-1 at islambad and have described my experience in another post.

I agree with Xyco that it is random. However, it is very clear that if you have a common name e.g. Muhammad, Khan, Ali, there is a very good chance that you will be subjected to security clearance. Visa officer checks your name against a list of names on their list (CLASS data base). This CLASS database has data from several different agencies. If there is any match, your details are sent for security advisory opion (SAO) to DOS in washington. DOS then clearifies it with the particular agency. In most of the cases, it can be done electronically. However, in some cases they need to look at the physical file which can be very time consuming.

During my visa interview, VO said it will take 6-8 weeks, eventhough, paper she gave me said a minimum of 4 weeks. Looking at different discussion board, it seems it is probably in the range of 3-4 months. I think it again depends upon how common your name is. If you have several hits, it will take longer. Not only that, it seems that people are some time subject to multiple clearances, which are sequential.

Best is not to apply for stamping unless you absolutely have to. If you do have to apply, be prepared for worst case scenario that you might be stuck for a few months. This time is probably the same whether you apply from Canada or Pakistan.

I read about your experience and it appears you are still waiting for the visa to come. 3 - 4 months seems to be longer than what I thought. I went through additional security checks in Septmeber 2003 through ISB embassy and it was done in less than 30 days. I would expect things to have grown faster now. Also, a couple of my friends over the last year who had to wait for the clearance in Canada (applied at Toronto), were cleared in 3 weeks. How do you know that the normal time is 3 - 4 months? State department says that it should be 30 days in most of the cases. But I know, there numbers are overall and they dont' break it down for countries... For Pakistan, it probably would be the worst - or i should say Pakistani passport holders... but if ISB embassy takes 3 - 4 months for clearance then I think embassy does make a difference, as only 1 friend of mine (out of 5), had to wait for 3 months when they applied through Canada. All others were done either the same day or within a month.

Did you have an option to apply through Canada? Usually, if you are changing from F1 to H1 and dont' have a US degree, then Pakistan is a better choice, so I am wondering what made you decide upon applying from Pakistan?

Thanks and good luck,
a101

Actually, it does seem to be a long time. Problem is that accurate information is difficult to get for a multitude of reasons. People who get delayed are more likely to post their experiences than people who get it early. Thus the information available on the web may not be accurate. There is a discussion in another forum "Tracker for people who are stuck due to security clearances". I had mentioned 3-4 months time based upon the experiences posted there. A friend of mine recently applied for a J-1 visa, and got visa within 2 weeks (after security clearance). I am sure that there are lot more people who get visa within couple of weeks but we never hear about them. On the other hand I also know some people who are waiting for visa in Pakistan for 2-3 months.

As far as difference between Canada and Pakistan is concerned, theoretically it should not be any different. Both consulates query the same data base, and if you get a name hit, both request SAO from DOS. Consular system is automated and it does not allow visa officer to print the visa unless name is cleared by DOS. It may be that US consulate in Canada is more efficient and has a better system of following up on the pending security clearances.

I was on a J-1 visa and subject to 2-year home residency requirement. So Canada was not an option for me. Even if it would have been an option, one really has to consider other factors as well. These factors may include Canadian permanent residency, family support and off course financial issues. One option which may be right for one may not be right for other.

Kind Regards

Ok after reading the post in my reply, let me add few more factors in my post. May be it will helpful to understand other that why did I get clearance in just 5 days.

I was and am always be on H1 status never change from F1, L1, J1 to H1

I did special registration in June 2003 during my first visit in USA. At that time, you are supposed to do special registration after one month when you enter the USA. I came to USA on May 2003 and did special registration on June 2003.

I do not have, “Muhammad”, “Syed”, “Khan”, “Zaidi”, “Qureshi”, “Siddiqui”, “Ahmed”, “Butt”, “Kazmi”, “Naqvi”, “Abdullah”, “Hussain”, “Hanif”, “Abbas”, “Abbasi”, “Haider”, “Hameed”, “Malik”, “Alvi”, “Haji”, “Rilzvi” or any other common sir name.

They used to assign FIN (Finger print Identification Number) at the time of special registration. But some how they assigned me two different FIN during two different special registration number. The immigration officer at the airport said to me that it is not uncommon and I should not worry about it. He took care of this; probably delete one of my records.

I worked as a consultant in one big financial bank and they did some background check on me before issue me an entrance card. I don’t know what type of background check they did, but from my credit report, I came to know that they did the credit check too.

One of my friend with sir name “Hanif” got clearance after approx 20 months. It is the largest time I have heared.

One of my friends with name “Haji” in between his name is still waiting for past 7 months.

One more my friend without any common sir name got clearance within a month.

But I never heard any case other than mine, who got clearance in just 5 days. It surprised not only me but also my friends.

I have a very uncommon last name but had to go through this checking in 2003. I wonder if the match is done on the first name + last name combination or individually on each part of the name? Since my first name is Ali which is very common off course.

Great for MA_05 to get the visa clearance so quickly. I do have a FIN number also and had acquired a stamp from ISB in 2003 earlier. I am married and will be applying while working for the same company and still with the same wife .... hehehe... :)

Are your friends that are stuck for so long... all married or singles?

No more updates here? Is nobody applying in ISB these days? Lets keep this thread alive as its a good resource for Pakistanis and Muslims. Threads for other embassies have lot of unrelated cases due to people with uncommon names.

any updates from H1_doc? got his visa?

Appointmnet on Jan. 10, 2007 in Islamabad for H1

Hi,
I have advance parole and EAD approved because my 485 is pending. I wanted to get H1 stamp so my future spouse could accompany me on H4.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hop that I get the H1 visa like some one else in this forum who got it in 5 days!!

Best regards,
Jeff

Yes, lets hope for the best. Do share your first & last name is you feel appropriate. Also, what is the latest on delays in getting the interview date? When did you submit your application to American Express and when did they assign you the jan 10 date?

Since you have an EAD so you would always have an option to give up on this process and go back to US using your EAD. We'll wait to see what happens in your interview?

I am not discouraging you but get ready for the worst. It will take indefinte time from Pakistan. Friend of mine is stuck there and havent got it since about 5 months.
Another friend get the visa from Canada in a day and went to Pakistan. Marry there and his wife applied for H4. She gets H4 in two weeks and now they both are back in USA.
Dont know how this process works but from Pakistan the situation is really bad. Someone told me that the consulates have another DB of their own. If you name flags there then they send the information to DC. After clearance they send the information back to consulate. They again check in their DB. If its flagging again then they again send to DC for clearance. The DC people told my friend that his relative has been checked 3 times in clearance because the consulates request for the clearance again and again. This overall process took about 8 months. So one time security check is not considered enough.
Good Luck.

jefkorn said:
Hi,
I have advance parole and EAD approved because my 485 is pending. I wanted to get H1 stamp so my future spouse could accompany me on H4.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hop that I get the H1 visa like some one else in this forum who got it in 5 days!!

Best regards,
Jeff

For jefkorn its not going to be a big concern. As he already has an Advance Parole, so he can drop his application for the visa and just come back using the Parole.

A friend of mine also experienced multiple name checks when applying from Toronto. This is not unique to Pakistani consulate. However, I have no information about a local database for different consulates. All what I have read about CLASS just talks about a common database. In my opinion, the situation in ISB appears worst because all the Muslims with Paki passport apply there. In canada, the numbers are skewed because lot of Indians and other nationality persons apply there also, for whom its quick to get the visa (no need for name checks mostly).

Not sure if First name, Last name's are such a big concern because I think my last name is not that un-common. I think it has more to do with applicant traffic at a particular consulate. I applied for my H1-B in 2005 (on 6th year but first H1-B stamp) from South Africa (I am also a South African permanent resident), and then it took exactly 30 days for the security clearance from Washington. Got my visa the day after getting clearance phonecall.

The second time I visted the US consulate in Johannesburg, got my H1-B 7th year renewal and my wife's H4 the same day (passports were mailed back to us in 4 days - we both have Pakistani passports). So I have a feeling it has more to do with applicant traffic at the consulate. I don't remember seeing anyone else who would fit a Pakistani/muslim profile when I was there on both occassions. Islamabad and Toronto obviously have more applicants who would fit that profile.

I'm considering getting my 8th year extension so I can go for Haj later this year. But after reading over various forums, I think there is a lot of un-certainty when applying for approvals from Mexico, Canada or Islamabad. I have a feeling it has more to do with the large and diverse number of applicants going to these consulates. My best bet again would have to be South Africa based on previous experience. Just wanted to share, good luck everyone.

Jawad Khan

Interview on Jan 10, 2007 and administrative processing required

a101 said:
Yes, lets hope for the best. Do share your first & last name is you feel appropriate. Also, what is the latest on delays in getting the interview date? When did you submit your application to American Express and when did they assign you the jan 10 date?

Since you have an EAD so you would always have an option to give up on this process and go back to US using your EAD. We'll wait to see what happens in your interview?
I have applied for H1 visa stamping for 7th year H1 extension, first H1 stamping done from Islamabad in 2001 and second revalidation was done from within US.
Docs submitted to American Express: Dec 12, 2006
Call received from American Express to come pick up the passport, appointment date: Jan 16, 2006, 9:30 AM. I went in person to AmEx another day to request an earlier date, was given Jan 10, 2006, 9:30 AM
I took the Daewoo bus service from Lahore to Rawalpindi, took shuttle service from Rwp to G7, Islamabad. From there took cab to convention center for Pak. Rs. 60. It takes about 15 minutes to get there from G7 Daewoo dropoff location. On reaching Convention center, I saw long lines of people. You have to deposit your cell phone, get a ticket for the cell phone, get another ticket to board the Embassy shuttle service and then board the bus which will drop you to you embassy of choice in this case US. There are two lines outside the embassy, one for non-immigrants and the other for immigrant visa applicants. After going through the personal security check, the guard will let you in. Once in, you will get fingerprinted and submit the passport, and DS-156, DS-157, DS-158 and Parents information form. The fingerprinting is done within few minutes. Then you will be asked to wait untill yor name is called.

Here's my interview details:
Me: How you doing?
VO(Visa Officer): good thanks
Me: You are welcome
VO: Why are you going to US?
Me: I am on vacation and going there to resume my employment with XYZ, Inc.
VO: Oh so you have been working in US?
Me: Yes
Vo: Can I see you I-797?
Me: Handed over the original I797
VO: Looked at it , did something on his computer and returned it to me.
VO: What do you do for the company?
Me: I am Programmer Analyst and develop software
VO: (facial expressions told me as if he wanted to know more), what sort of software?
Me: Commercial software for our client in various industries. Currently I am working with one oif our client in ABC,MA,. Have you ever heard of them?
VO: Yes, where's you business located?
Me: My company is located in NJ but the client is in MA
VO: Where do you live?
Me: I live in XYZ,MA
VO: There're two former US presidents from that place? (with a smile), if you name one of them you get the visa?
Me: (Knew the names but couldn't recall)..thinking.
VO: Tells me one of them and I instantly tell him the other
VO: I am just giving you hard time sir, don't worry. Looks at the computer and I could see a frown on his face. Sir, I have approved you visa but we have to do administrative processing. Unless you are a known ter****** or fugitive from a country, you should be fine. Our standard line that we have been telling people. It's lowset level of check and if you still don't hear from us after a month, call us.
I think he mentioned SSO or DSO or something like that and said that it's been happneing quite a lot lately.Hands me a printed letter, writes my passport # and date on it. Reassumres me that visa will definitely be issued after the clearance.

The text of the letter is as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------
Dear visa applicant:
A consular officer has approved your nonimmigrant visa pplication and has determined that additional adminitrative processing is required before printing your visa. The timing will vary on a case-by-case basis, but will generally take a minimum of one month. Once we have completed processing of your visa application, we will send your passport back to you via the courier. Than you for your patience.

If you should have any questions, you may email them to paknivinfo@state.gov or call our information line 051-208-2121

If you would like us to return your passport, you may email your name and apssport number to paknivpassport@state.gov and we will send your passport back to you via the courier service. This email is only for passport returns. Please allow a minimum of one week to receive your passport.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I asked him I had travel plans and would it get cleared within three weeks? He said he couldn't guarantee but would do whatever to get it done(probably a standard line not an expedite request).

Me: Can I get my passport back?
VO: sure, here you go. But you will have to take it to American Express office once the check is cleared.
Me: I have another question? If my would-be spouse applies for H4, what's the deal?
VO: She can apply based on your I-797 but will not be issued visa untill your visa is issued. Or I think he also said that if she is issued a visa, it would be not be valid untill I am issued H1.

He didn't ask me for single document other than I-797 although I had two folder full of all kinds of docs.

Is it the dreaded security check or something benigh as someone in this forum received visa within 5 days? Any one else in a similar boat, please keep in touch. Anyone who is in Pakistan and emails me I can give you my phone number as well so we can exchange information etc.

Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you did not mention about your EAD to the VO?

Does your spouse has an EAD also or would she need an H4? One can apply for H4 without the H1... but I guess once the H1 application is under process, they don't issue the H4 to the spouse then.

So you did not mention about your EAD to the VO?

Does your spouse has an EAD also or would she need an H4? One can apply for H4 without the H1... but I guess once the H1 application is under process, they don't issue the H4 to the spouse then.

Who got their Admin Processing done within 3 weeks from US embassy in Isb.?

VO did not ask me about my pending adjustment of status application or EAD. Although the approval notice that I submitted for visa stamping was seventh year extension.
My spouse would need H4 since my H1 is pending with the same consulate she might not be issued H4 untill my H1 is issued but based on VO's comments she can apply for H4 it's just that it won't be stamped untill mine is cleared.
Was anyone told by VO at the time of interview that the admin processing would take 3 weeks and it did come in 3 weeks or so? Please share your personal or friends cases.

Thanks

My friend was being told that this process will be done in 4-6 weeks. Its been 6 months now and there is no news. Another friend got in 9 months. Another got in 10 months. To me 9-10 months is average time from Pakistan.
I have seen just one case two years back that they give passport back in a week. Dont know why.
With this statistics you cannot determine how long its going to take for you. You can call DOS and ask them whats going on and they will tell you how many agencies are done with your clearance and how many they are waiting for. Thats all the information you can get.
There are cases when the consulate does the repeated clearance. Once you get cleared they again put you in to the same queue for some unknown reason. This makes some people believe that there is another database available that consulates are working on.

Good Luck.

jefkorn said:
VO did not ask me about my pending adjustment of status application or EAD. Although the approval notice that I submitted for visa stamping was seventh year extension.
My spouse would need H4 since my H1 is pending with the same consulate she might not be issued H4 untill my H1 is issued but based on VO's comments she can apply for H4 it's just that it won't be stamped untill mine is cleared.
Was anyone told by VO at the time of interview that the admin processing would take 3 weeks and it did come in 3 weeks or so? Please share your personal or friends cases.

Thanks

Are H1 cases different from regular Visit Visa and Immigration Visas? in terms of administrative processing ... I have read a thread in which the applicant was a follow to join and got the admin processing done in two months.. anyone any comments?

I don't think its different based on visa types. Many H1-B applicant's also get clearances within 2 ~ 3 months (still very long). It is just a random thing for the applicant. Is some what based on how common your name is.

The reason that you keep getting in the queue for multiple clearances is that if you get a clearance on 1st Feb and you submit your passport. And they get it lets say on Feb 5th when they are going to issue the visa. If between this time, there is any new information that is added in the CLASS database, then the clearance is required again. Simply stupid.. but thats why people have to go through 2 ~ 3 or more clearances during one application process. :p

This doesn't seem right to me. I know people who never came to USA and even the consulate does the clearance 3 times. What can be added to the class database if he never came here. May be something that we dont know.

a101 said:
I don't think its different based on visa types. Many H1-B applicant's also get clearances within 2 ~ 3 months (still very long). It is just a random thing for the applicant. Is some what based on how common your name is.

The reason that you keep getting in the queue for multiple clearances is that if you get a clearance on 1st Feb and you submit your passport. And they get it lets say on Feb 5th when they are going to issue the visa. If between this time, there is any new information that is added in the CLASS database, then the clearance is required again. Simply stupid.. but thats why people have to go through 2 ~ 3 or more clearances during one application process. :p

"doesn't seem right to me"... well, it doesn't seem right to anybody...

Thats the point, its not information about the applicant himself, but about someone with the same or similar name. If it got added, they just have to check it and make sure. I don't have the links but if you read on around this and other forums / websites, you will find out that this is what we vaguely know about the system.