HI Stamping in Islamabad, Pakistan

Addy

Hi:

Has anyone travelled to Islamabad for an H1 visa stamping? If you did, can you please share your experience - i.e. how long exactly did it take you to get the visa, what was the process, and any observations about what % of H1 visa applications is being accepted, is it really advisable to go to Pakistan for this purpose etc etc.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Regards

H1 processing in Islamabad

I have two friends, pretty much the same case as you and i. One friend applied for Visa on July 6th, got called for interview on 25th. The consulate person said, we have tentatively approvede you for visa, but you will have to go through security/background check. They also returned the passport saying once the security check has been done, we will call you and bring your passport and we will stamp it. He has been waiting to date to get the visa.
Another friend applied for H1-B visa on 15th August, got clled for interview on 23rd august and is still waiting. He said that the letter he got said it will take indefinate time for the security clearance, but verbally the consulate person said it will take 30 days. So far no word on either friends.
I havent heard of any H1-B cases being rejected, just that it is taking a very long time to process. I would not risk going back at this time as the process is very unpredictible. however word is that, state department had ordered all consulates to put visa policies in place by Sept 11th 2002. So thats why there has been a lot of confusion. Hopefully in the comming few weeks, the policies and processes will become more clear and streamlined. Keep posting any information you get.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info. I posted some info in your other thread, which I believe is under the H1 visa portal. I am not sure if you have had the chance to look at that, so following is a copy of that thread:

I am pretty much in the same shoes as you are. Planning to go to PK in october, but have found that its taking 60-90 days for HI stamping. Here is what my research has told me so far:

1) You can't expedite the security investiagation process. If you have a contact in the consulate, you can try to get the interview appointment as soon as you land. Otherwise, appointment is usually set for 30 days after you have submitted your passport and documents to the courier. If you somehow get the interview appointment right after landing, your process will take 45-60 days, otherwise you will need about 60-90 days. And you can't expedite the security process from here. That has to be initiated by the US consulate in Islamabad after your interview has taken place.

2) You can get a leave of absence without pay from your company. This leave is given for special circumstances. But you have to be realistic here. You wouldn't want to lose your job, because your company can't do without you for such a long period of time.

3) If your company has another office in Asia or somewhere else, you can request the US consulate to give you your passport after they have taken the interview (and while they are doing the security investigation). This way you can go and work from the Asian office and wouldn't have to take the leave of abence.

3) I took an appointment with the Canadian consulate also, but the cancelled it within a week advising me to go to the home country.

Hi,

I know someone who had been waiting in Canada since Sep./Oct. 2002.

Just checkng to see if anyone got the Security CLearance? and how long did it take?

thx

My experience

I went to Pakistan in December to get my H1 stamped. I had my H1 Authorization but not the visa. I was also going ot get married so i applied for my H1 visa and my wives H4 visa at the same time. We applied on the 4th of December. Due to Eid vacations, our application was sent to the embassy on the 9th of December. I got the application back from the embassy on the 21st. The Application was stamped with INTERVIEW REQUIRED, for both of us. For H1 case, you dont need an interview appointment. We went on the 23rd of December for our interview and both of us got the Visa the same day!!.

In october the condition that everyone has to go through the Security clearance condition was removed, now the visa office determines if you need a security clearance. If he is satisfied, he gives the Visa the same day. If not, he sends it for Security clearance and it can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months. Basically if you have been in Status while ur stay in the US, never been out of status and there is no felony or any other major issues, there is no problem. I think i got the Visa in one day also because both Husband and Wife applied together. Anyways this was my experience. It took me only 14 days to get the Visa and the delay was the time it took to proces my visa application at the embassy!!. Hope this helps

Congratulations to you and your wife! I am sure you are both very happy and I am glad you did not have to go through the lengthy security process. My fiancee is still waiting in Pakistan. He interviewed back in the end of Sept 2002. Last we heard was his information was awaiting clearance in DC. In fact I have another friend, also in Pakistan and he has been waiting since early November for his visa - he may actually be out of status (though I am not sure when you are considered to be so). He interviewed in the beginning of November. I was wondering if you had information on any other situations? Also, what kinds of checks do they include in security checks? Do parking tickets count? Also when are you considered to be out of status and if you are does this mean there are no exceptions? Sorry to bombard you with questions - as you can see I am trying to garner as much information as I can given my fiancee and friend's situation. Any help or info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Xyco,
salam
Congrats on getting visa w/o any hessles or waiting.
Me and one of my friends are also planning to go Pakistan for visa purpose but also wonderring would it be good to go at this time.

I have few questions, would you mind telling that
* how long you had stayed in the US by the time you applied for visa in Islamabad in Dec'02 ?

* Was your green card in process here in USA ? if yes then in what stage ? and did you mention that in your visa app ? (there is a question related to labor or imm visa petition in NIV app) do you happen to know what if some one has Labor or I140 in process and mention that in the app can that cause any problem or visa denial ??
like i heard/saw in the case if some one have immediate relative in US with US nationality/green card, people normally never mention that in the visa app becoz that is a valid reason/ground of visa denial in the eyes of INS.

* while leaving for Pak in Dec did you register yourself right before leaving at the airport ?

* Another question is now every male has to fill out new suplimentary visa form DS-157, there is a question regarding military training. You know in Pakistan many students get enrolled in NCC training during college education. Mentionaning that in the form, can that cause any problem or trigger security background checks or cause delays ???

Please share your experience, knowledge or ideas, any input would greatly be appreciated.

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely helps if you are married. My wife got a visa in 7 days without appearing for an interview. In most of the cases that I have seen, males have to wait most of the time whereas females dont have to. In case of a friend, his wife got a visa in 1 week where he had to wait for almost 3 months (they applied separately). He is a doctor so maybe his process got expedited a bit. However, my general understanding is that if you are a female then there is no issue. If you are a male and you are applying together with your wife then you should be ok too. You will get screwed if you are applying alone regardless of whether you are married or not. In some cases, if you have already gone through the special registration process in US, you may get the visa much before some of the other folks since they would have already reviewed your case from security point of view. My personal experience at the airport when I was flying back to US with my wife was great. The immigration officer didnt even ask me to register. I guess thats coz my wife was with me and I had already registered once before when I had to fly out of US on an emergency trip.

Shadowhunter

Schattenjager,
Thank you very much for your post.
Yah you are right that if you are married or apply for visa with wife or already specially regestered, that definately helps.

Would you mind telling that which airport did you fly into ?, did you enter on Advance Parole ?? and had you already registered at INS district office before leaving US or do you have to report before the deadline ?

thanks

truenblue,

I landed at San Francisco Intl. airport and entered on H1b not AP. Before going to Pakistan, I did appear for a 30 day interview at INS local office and I notified them about my departure at the airport also on my way to Pakistan.

You can try getting the visa revalidated from St. Louis. I was one of the lucky few who got a visa stamp from there. They, however, did reject visa applications of all my other friends and asked them to get it from Pakistan. No harm in trying I guess.

H1b is a dual intent visa meaning you can legally say that you want to settle here in US permanently and it wont be held against you at any time. I mentioned that I had filed for a green card in my visa application and also told INS about it during special registration.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
SchattenJager

SchattenJager,
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate you reply ...
I certainly would have tried StLuois, but my visa expired more than a year ago which wud disqualify my app for revalidation in StLuois right away.

Anyway keep in-touch via this forum to share info.

Regards,

truenblue

Sorry for the late reply.. You know i am newly married so i dont get much time to do anything else. I know ya'alls anxieties as i went through the same before i went back. So here is my information

FUTBOL---
For MALE students and other MALES ( between the age of 16 and 45) situation is pretty much the same if they are applying alone. For almost all students i know, they are going through background and security check. For other visa holders, if they are applying alone, they still are going through that. As far as security check is concerned, i think it just means if you have any felony or if you are in any of the terrorist lists in the US!! Since the database is distributed between CIA and state department, it takes long. Parking or speeding tickets is not a felony. Yes if he kiled someone or assulted someone or anything like that, its a felony :).

TRUENBLUE--

I was in the US for more than two and a half years before i went back. I was here on F-1 for year and a half and than i got Optional practical training ( EAD card) from INS. I was on that for a year and than i got H1 authorization. I did not have a green card neither did i apply for green card. Before leaving for Pakistan i did not register and in the DS-157 i did not mention about NCC . I am not sure if it might cause delays. Considering how paranoid these ppl are i am inclined to say yes!!

Anyways i hope this helps

Xyco,

Thank you very much for your reply buddy, I am also newly married, so I know how busy a person becomes after that.... ;) :)

If u get info about your other friends who gets visa plz do take a moment to share with us.

regards

Is this site still alive

I see messages way back in 2003
Is this forum still alive or should I post my experience elsewhere

Ranajee,
Post your experience here. I think everyone can benefit. Its been a while since i posted here and i kind of forgot about it. Things have changed since than and i will post few experience i've had and my friends ( people i know first hand and talked to and verified myself).

For the past year or two, i think the US state department has relaxed conditions. You dont have to go back to your home country to apply for visa. Three of my friends applied for their H1-B visa in Canada. They got their appointment online. Two of them actually hired a local lawyer ( in Toronto) to go with them . One did not use a lawyer. So they reached the american embassy on the day of the appointment and applied for visa. Theie visa was approved and stamped next day. They took flight from Canda to Pakistan to go visit and than came back directly to the US. HOwever another friend of mine also applied for his H1 visa in Canda. He did not get the visa next day. He left for Pakistan thinking the visa will be approved in a few or two maybe and the Embassy will notify him once its approved and he will come back to Canda and get the visa stamped and come to the US. Unfortunatly he has to wait 4 months in Pakistan before the US embassy in Canada approved his visa.

So that's the situation. There are still a few cases here and there where i see people getting stuck in the security clearance drama. My advise to everyone will be if it is not absolutely necessary to travel, dont take the risk. Even if there is a 90 % chance you will get the visa sooner, what if you are one of the 10% people. Of course there are situations where you have to go and you dont care about the consequences.

Anyways.. all this is really frustrating. Times have changes since the 90's and its not going to get any easier. So i guess we have a choice to make. Either accept these changes and learn to deal with them or if we cannot than just leave and quit complaining !!

Anyways.. Ranajee i shall be waiting to hear what your experience has been.

Thanks

apply in Canada and Wait in Pakistan

Dear Xyco,

Thank you for your detailed updates. Are you coming close to a time of re-validation of the H-1B visa? I am. I got mine in about 30 days first time in 2003. Now, am thinking of visiting again and would need a new stamp. I would like to know a little more about this friend of your about whom you mentioned this:
------------------
HOwever another friend of mine also applied for his H1 visa in Canda. He did not get the visa next day. He left for Pakistan thinking the visa will be approved in a few or two maybe and the Embassy will notify him once its approved and he will come back to Canda and get the visa stamped and come to the US. Unfortunatly he has to wait 4 months in Pakistan before the US embassy in Canada approved his visa
-------------------
How does it work with the embassy? Once they approve the visa, how much time do they allow you to have before you can come and pick your visa? I mean lets say I apply and don't get the visa immediately. I leave for Pakistan, but after 8 - 10 days they say the visa is approved. So, will I have to rush back to Canada (and pretty much conclude my trip to Pakistan), immediately or can I say to them that I'll come in 2 - 3 weeks to pick it up? Did your friend check these things before he left for Pakistan? Could you mention his dates when he applied and at which consulate in Canada? Was he single or did he apply with his/her spouse?

Thanks again,
Ali

I went to Pakistan in January 2006 to renew my H1B stamp. My passport was about to expire, so first I applied for passport and got a new biometric passport. I went there for marriage, so was very busy in it. After the marriage I applied for H1 and H4 at the same time in February 2006. There wasn’t any interview date for H1 visa in Islamabad. We went to Islamabad for interview on February 23rd 2006. The interviewer asked couple of routine questions to me and just asked two question to my wife, which I replied. First question was, can she speak English? I replied “No”. Second question Has she ever be in USA before? I replied “No”. That’s the only questions she (interviewer) asked about my wife.

She (interviewer) asked me the following thing, approved I-979 (Notice of action), Marriage certificate (both in Urdu as well as translated in English) and Offer letter from the employer with salary on it. That’s all she asked to me, not a single pay stub, company profile, Tax return, W2, marriage photographs nothing.

Then she said to me your application has been approved, but there is some administrative process and it may take 4 weeks. You will get your passport in 4 weeks. After that she further added, actually you may get it in 2 weeks, but usually we said 4 weeks to all the applicants.

To my surprise I got the security clearance in just 5 days on Feb 28th 2006 (This date was written on the visa stamp on my passport that security clearance received on Feb 28th 2006). I got my passport back literally within 10 calendar days.

Here is some more info about the cases. I don’t know weather any one of this will make any change in the security clearance process or not.

I got my first H1B after the 9/11. I don’t know this may create any difference or not, but few of my friends said that they have already did security clearance on you when you applied the first time.

My wife didn’t change her last name, and she is still using her father name in her passport, H4 visa and medical insurance. Therefore it is not necessary to change the wife last name before applying for a H4 visa.

Both I and my wife had biometric passport.

I was (and am) never be out of status in the USA for a single day (for a single second :) )

I had a return ticked with me of April 2006 (Yes I was on long unpaid vacations) and at the visa application form, I wrote that I want to come to USA on April 5th 2006 (Date of my return ticket).

I had already applied for Labor Certificate 11 months ago (Applied for Labor on March 2005 using pre PERM process).

MA_05,

Thanks for the details. I got my first H-1B visa stamp in October 2003. It took me about a month to get the clearance. Still not too bad. I am right now planning to get another stamp on the passport and wondering if Canada is really a safer option? It appears to be very random how much time one will spend in security clearance? A friend of mine got his first stamp in 2003 within 2 days from Canada. However, last year it took him 3 months to get a stamp from Canada. I feel like if one has to get stuck in additonal processing, then its better to be stuck in Pakistan. Although, I know the attitude of Pakistani consulate would be less professional / courteous than Canadian, but does the consulate make a difference in the delay itself?

Any opinions?

MA_05 and a_101,

Thankyou for your experience. You are right. It is very random. But if you have a simple case ( meaning you have been in status, not a lot of complicated Status chance situations.. F1 - H1 - L1 - F1- H1 type.. Simple is F1-H1 for example) and have gotten your H1 once already and have gone through the special registration process, you have a good chance of getting the Visa soon.

For Canada, the way it works is you can leave an email address or phone number ( i dont think they call international. it has to be a US or Canada number) at the consulate where they call you after your Visa is approved. So you can apply for Visa and go to Pakistan and come back when you get that email or phone and get it stamped on your Passport and thats it.. It is a lot of hassel though to arrange all the travel plans and all that.. My friends actually used a lawyer in Toronoto who charged them about 700-800 dollars for basically filing out the application for them, accompanying them to the interview and than acting as a proxy in case of any delays. And no you dont have to come next day they tell you the Visa is approved. You can come few weeks after that. I am not sure what is the maximum time limit. And two of my friends who got their visas next day were single. The friend who got delayed for 4 months was married and applied with his spouse ! So try and figure out the pattern here !! :) As i Said, i think it is just random !

I saw a news article that the American Embassy in Pakistan is starting online application process as well now from Novemeber where you dont have to go through the courier service but can get your interview date online just like you do for Canada right now. That is good because it will eliminate the middle man and save a few weeks. Plus gives you flexibility to choose your date and plan more. However i dont know anyone who has used it or not and how this process is working.. So you should check on that as well and if you know someone who has been through the new online application submission process, do post and let everyone know. It will be interesting to see how that works in Pakistan.

best of Luck