• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

hey guys

kiptanui

hey there, my case number is 2014dvaf00080xxx. i know this is too high, but i am determined to get an interview before the process ends. well, i am already in the united states and currently a sophomore under F1 student visa. I did sent my documents and i have received second NL informing me way forward on adjusting my status. My question is: IS AOS RISK/SLOW THAN CONSULAR PROCESSING? SO FAR I HAVE MADE MY MIND TO DO AOS, CAN I PROCEED WITH?? THANK YOU GUYS AND GOD BLESS

Simon susie please advice this gentelmen .
Tazmania if u don't want to help others just don't be rude to them. Please I'm asking nicely

There's an AOS thread started by sm1smom, where you'll probably get better advice on which is the best route for you to take. Most of the rest of us only have experience with CP.

hey there, my case number is 2014dvaf00080xxx. i know this is too high, but i am determined to get an interview before the process ends. well, i am already in the united states and currently a sophomore under F1 student visa. I did sent my documents and i have received second NL informing me way forward on adjusting my status. My question is: IS AOS RISK/SLOW THAN CONSULAR PROCESSING? SO FAR I HAVE MADE MY MIND TO DO AOS, CAN I PROCEED WITH?? THANK YOU GUYS AND GOD BLESS

Your number is rather high.

AOS is slower than CP in general. But towards the end of the fiscal year USCIS tries to process DV cases faster than normal. Still it takes longer than CP. Considering the high number you have you are taking up some risk going the AOS route.

What is your field office? Some are busier than others. Boston for instance is a notorious one.

There's an AOS thread started by sm1smom, where you'll probably get better advice on which is the best route for you to take. Most of the rest of us only have experience with CP.

+1

Best to ask in the AOS thread. At first glance it sounds risky to me....

Don't worry, I have a higher number than you! What matter is to be patient with AOS process. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.USCIS knows how to process faster DV application. In Jesus name we hope at the end of the fiscal year we will have our green card.

CIS does its best to expedite DV cases, but based on timelines of DV2013 AOS selectees the fastest processing time was 46 days, with 100 days as the average. If your number is current in September 2014, the risk of your AOS timing out is very high.

Don't worry, I have a higher number than you! What matter is to be patient with AOS process. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.USCIS knows how to process faster DV application. In Jesus name we hope at the end of the fiscal year we will have our green card.

You can be as hopefull as possible but I agree with others and numbers don't lie. It takes few months to get AOS sorted. His case number is high. CP seems to be a smarter and safer option!

I know numbers don't lie, what matter is waiting time. Well I didn't force anybody to do AOS but that was just my advice to the guy. If your already in US, CP is much expensive that's why others we prefer to do AOS.
You can be as hopefull as possible but I agree with others and numbers don't lie. It takes few months to get AOS sorted. His case number is high. CP seems to be a smarter and safer option!

I know numbers don't lie, what matter is waiting time. Well I didn't force anybody to do AOS but that was just my advice to the guy. If your already in US, CP is much expensive that's why others we prefer to do AOS.

As others have said - if you get current in September, which is the most likely with a high number (if you get current at all) AOS sounds very risky. Is it more important to you to save the money of an airfare, or to get a green card?

One further point to cnsider. In recent years the numbers have gone current for te last two months of the year - effectively giving AOS cases a bigger window. This year, with more selectees, it is likely (at least in my opinion) that some regions will not go "CURRENT" - i.e. the VB will have a max number until the end. If that is the case then a number like 80k might only be current in the last month, and then, as others have said, AOS becomes very risky.

One further point to cnsider. In recent years the numbers have gone current for te last two months of the year - effectively giving AOS cases a bigger window. This year, with more selectees, it is likely (at least in my opinion) that some regions will not go "CURRENT" - i.e. the VB will have a max number until the end. If that is the case then a number like 80k might only be current in the last month, and then, as others have said, AOS becomes very risky.

I think last year Africa only went current in September - apart from 2012 it's either been current only in Sept or - earlier in the 2000s - has been still cut off in September. It does seem AOS is risky with such a high number.

FYI, In my case CP is cheaper including plane tickets to home!..

Yes, AOS could be risky with a high CN, BUT IMO, it's not as risky as a lot of people are assuming, especially with the newly released Aug 2013 Memo which allows for early filing. A quick look at the DV 2013 AOS shows a number of selectees with high CN doing AOS successfully in September - those who became current in Aug/Sept. It was a nail-bitter process for them, but it's doable.

So kiptanui, if you're considering doing AOS, spend some time to go over the DV AOS 2014 thread (like other posters have suggested) to get a better understanding of what doing AOS involves, and you can post subsequent questions there:

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?557035-DV-2014-AOS-Only

Also go through the attached spreadsheet, at least the tab named AOS or CP, to a quick overview of the two processes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=6

Yes, AOS could be risky with a high CN, BUT IMO, it's not as risky as a lot of people are assuming, especially with the newly released Aug 2013 Memo which allows for early filing. A quick look at the DV 2013 AOS shows a number of selectees with high CN doing AOS successfully in September - those who became current in Aug/Sept. It was a nail-bitter process for them, but it's doable.

So kiptanui, if you're considering doing AOS, spend some time to go over the DV AOS 2014 thread (like other posters have suggested) to get a better understanding of what doing AOS involves, and you can post subsequent questions there:

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?557035-DV-2014-AOS-Only

Also go through the attached spreadsheet, at least the tab named AOS or CP, to a quick overview of the two processes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=6

Nice helpful post as usual, sm1smom :)

Out of interest (this has probably been discussed in the AOS thread so forgive me in advance) what happens if you do file early but your number never becomes current? Does this have any impact on the existing status/visa?

Nice helpful post as usual, sm1smom :)

Out of interest (this has probably been discussed in the AOS thread so forgive me in advance) what happens if you do file early but your number never becomes current? Does this have any impact on the existing status/visa?

Early filing based on the advanced notification section of the VB is allowed, the assumption is that the CN will become current eventually since the VB has given that indication - admittedly, some of the people working at the filing centres do get over-zealous sometimes or are not aware of the early filing allowance. However, an application filed without any indication of when the CN will become current will be rejected and returned to the applicant.