Help!!

dsebold0410

Okay so my boyfriend is planning to move here from Libya in the next two months or so.

Im not sure how to get him here regarding the visa types. It will not be a nonimmigrant visa because he will be staying here longer than three months but he doesnt really fit into any of the immigrant visa types either as we do not plan on getting married anytime soon!

However I read that you can get some kind of visa for having a degree in college or something...somewhat confusing but my boyfriend has a computer engineering degree from the University of Libya so would that work??

And also if he were to come here on a temporary visa could he prolong it and become a citizen while on that nonimmigrant visa?

I really just dont know what I am doing at all and need a little help.

Any you can give me is greatly appreciated...thankyou very much

dsebold0410 said:
It will not be a nonimmigrant visa because he will be staying here longer than three months but he doesnt really fit into any of the immigrant visa types either as we do not plan on getting married anytime soon!

Then it is unlikely that he will get a visa. He has no job offer, isn't going to get married but wants to stay for several months.

However I read that you can get some kind of visa for having a degree in college or something...somewhat confusing but my boyfriend has a computer engineering degree from the University of Libya so would that work??

You don't get a visa for "having a college degree". You get a visa if you a) have a degree and b) have a US employer sponsor you to work for them, like an H-1B.

And also if he were to come here on a temporary visa could he prolong it and become a citizen while on that nonimmigrant visa?

Absolutely not.

It looks like you need a complete VISA/Immigration course.

There are two main categories of visas: non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas. Within each category, there are many different visas, each specific to the reason of your stay, what the visa is issued for (e.g., H1 category is for temporary employment), etc. There is even one for fiancees called K.
The visa types span from A to almost Z. Each visa has its own requirements and processing time.

I suggest you to go to http://www.uscis.gov and http://travel.state.gov to read about the different visa types and find the most appropriate for your boyfriend.

Beware, some visas take a very long time to process, e.g., several years for immigration visas.

Good luck