Help: Working with EAD approval but without EAd card

CoasterRide

Registered Users (C)
Help(1 1/2 mon after approval): Working with EAD approval notice until I get EAD card

Help: Working with EAD approval notice until I get EAD card. Its been 1 and 1/2 since the approval

Hi all, my first EAD card expires on July 17th 2003. I got my EAD renewal approved on May 14th but I am yet to receive EAD cards. I called BCIS 800 number and they asked me to go to local service center to get the EAD card. I will be going to Louisville on 14th. I hope they give me without any problem.

My question is, if there is any delay in getting the card or they ask me to request for re-issue of EAD card (assuming it is lost in mail), can I work till I get it based on EAD approval? I haven't changed my address. Only god knows where the inconsistent BCIS sent it!! Worst thing is, I got my AP approvals. Any help is aprreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far i know, you should be fine working withe EAD approval. I know some guys personally who worked with the expired EAD also.(infact the Ead renewal petition was pending)

Approval notice is not sufficient.You need to have the EAD card.

U have to fill up a new I-9 form. Will ur HR dept agree to let u continue to work without the actual card?

Ur approval was done on May14th.Normally it takes about 2 weeks to receive the card.

Why are waiting for 2 months untill July14th to go to local service center?You should have gone much earlier.

Originally posted by maddi
So far i know, you should be fine working withe EAD approval. I know some guys personally who worked with the expired EAD also.(infact the Ead renewal petition was pending)

I can't understand how people can continue to work on a expired EAD. It is illegal and could jeopardise your whole GC process.

GCSeekerInd, I couldn't not have gone much earlier because I have to wait for 90 days before I go to local service center. Going by that, I could haven't gone before June 30th. And Louisville is 2 1/2 hours from my place and BCIS advised me to wait for 1 more week. I hope I get it on 14th. I got the approval notice but not EAD card. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you go the local office you will get the card on the same day.

That's how i got it in Baltimore

Kanthus

kanthus, thanks for the reply. What documents should I take with me? I am planning to take the following:

1. Mine and my wife's EAD approval notices
2. Photos
3. I-485 Receipt notices
4. Previous EAD cards
5. Passports and DLs

Anything else that I need to take? Thanks again!!

Originally posted by CoasterRide
GCSeekerInd, I couldn't not have gone much earlier because I have to wait for 90 days before I go to local service center. Going by that, I could haven't gone before June 30th. And Louisville is 2 1/2 hours from my place and BCIS advised me to wait for 1 more week. I hope I get it on 14th. I got the approval notice but not EAD card. Thanks for your reply.
I assume that you have checked with your lawyer to see if they've received your card, have you? Normally it should be other way around, i.e. lawyer gets approval notice and you get the card...

No. Going to Local Center would not get him a card.

As the case is approved, Local Center would say no for interim EAD

Jan485, my lawyer didn't receive my EAD cards. Approval notice was received by the lawyer and a copy was sent to me.

nnarayanus, what can I do to get the card based on my approval?

Anyone any ideas? Anyone in the same boat?

CoasterRide,

I am afraid that you could do nothing about it. You will have to wait for the card till it is mailed. Normally it could take couple of weeks

That's what my attroney said, when I asked earlier for my wife's EAD

Thanks for the reply. I waited for almost 1 and 1/2 months. With BCIS saying I would get in couple of weeks has been quite misleading. Is there any process by which I can request them to re-issue the card?

I called BCIS today again. Here is the update:

A nice lady (though with limited information) said that she will put in my case for review and send a request to Vermont saying that we never received our EAD cards though the case is approved. She said it would take 3-4 weeks. She took our A numbers, receipt numbers, phone numbers, address and e-mail IDs. And she said I cannot work without EAD even though I have EAD approval notice. :mad: When I asked about local service center, she said mostly they may not issue EAD as my case is already approved. But I am going to Louisville and try again. :confused:

Anyone with any related information, please let me know. Thanks for the replies!!

what is the message , you get on online check

I can tell you by message , whether card has been mailed yet or not?

RDMAR02, here is the online message. My lawyer received the approval notice but no sign of EAD cards.

This case has been approved. On May 14, 2003, an approval notice was mailed. If 14 days have passed and you have not received this notice, you may wish to verify or update your address. To update your address, please speak to an Immigration Information Officer during business hours.

your card was actually mailed on May 14

probably it is lost in the mail.. because before this online shows a different message , " this case has been approved, your card will be mail as soon it is ready...."

now I am sorry, I don't see a way , how can you get a card, probably you can try local office and tell them the whole situation, even when VSC phoneline was live, some people didn't receive the card.. only answer they got from vsc was , you can reapply..

if your employer is nice, he can let you work based on approval notice, while you apply for new one. Or check with your postman , neighbours..if by chance you can find it anywhere...

U cannot get a EAD card at local office bcos ur EAD has been approved. Only if ur EAD Appl is pending for 90 days you can get an interim card.
I was in the same situation but luckily got mine 3 days after my old card expired.
And for those days that you dont have a valid EAD card you are not supposed to be paid as well.
If the message says they have posted the card then its probably lost some where.
Take the approval notice and tell the local office that u lost the card and try to get a new one..

vramg3, I am thinking of going to local office and explain the situation. After how many days of approval did you get your EAD card? Did you do anything to trigger the regenration of that card? I desperately hope I get my card too. This is very frustrating.

You have proof that BCIS has approved your EAD. What's the problem? Is your employer demanding to see the actual card? I really wouldn't worry about it. Many people in this form take things a little too seriously!