Help with steps after receiving the GC

subywrx

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I have been searching the forums and haven't been able to find a concrete answer on things that I need to do now that I am a permanent resident.

I received the Green Card after applying for the DV lottery. I have been in the US since 2002 originally on an F1 and then H1-B and was fortunate enough to win the Green Card and speed up the process. My questions relate to the steps I have to take next. Seeing I have been in the US for almost 10 year now I already have a SSN, bank account, drivers license and have filed as a resident on tax forms.

1. What other things need to be changed now that I have a green card. (If anyone has a list of what I can follow that would be great)
2. Would it be best to change my SSN to reflect that I no longer need INS approval to work.
3. Do I need to notify my current employer of my change of status.
4. Is there anyone else I need to notify?

Thanks for all your help. If I am missing something please let me know.

You need to get SSN updated ASAP to remove the work restriction. You also need to update I-9 to reflect your new green card status (this can be done when your current work authorization i.e. H1 expires). I don't think anyone else needs to be notified.

Thanks for the information. Is it really crucial to have the SSN changed? As I know most employers will look for some type of work verification and wouldn't the greencard be sufficient?

Are you trying to challenge the answers or get answers?
Your status has changed. Social Security Admin has a process to update your status. I do not know whether you are legally required to go to SSA or not, but what's the harm? It does not cost you money, takes a few days at max and simplifies your I9s going forward.
You can check whether your GC will be sufficient by reading this form at this link http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Thanks for the information. Is it really crucial to have the SSN changed? As I know most employers will look for some type of work verification and wouldn't the greencard be sufficient?

It is true that you don't have to show the Social Security card for I-9 purposes if you have the green card. But having an SS card without the work restriction provides you an advantage in that if your GC is lost or stolen or expired, you can show the employer your unrestricted SS card + driver's license/state ID, without having to show the GC.

And if the Social Security office has proper notification of your new LPR status, you are also less likely to have a problem with eVerify if the employer uses it to check your status.